BU or tufts help me decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmingpool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey any suggestions on what school to pick between BU and tufts??

I had a great experience at my BU interview but I keep reading some negative things about the school and have't heard anything bad about Tufts.

I care that the school has student research, community service opportunities and LOTS of student life. I want to go to the school where students are happiest.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. My BU deposit is due soon so I want to decide by tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey any suggestions on what school to pick between BU and tufts??

I had a great experience at my BU interview but I keep reading some negative things about the school and have't heard anything bad about Tufts.

I care that the school has student research, community service opportunities and LOTS of student life. I want to go to the school where students are happiest.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. My BU deposit is due soon so I want to decide by tomorrow!

I already paid my 3k BU deposit, but I got accepted to Tufts last week and will attend Tufts instead.

There are many reasons why I am doing this, and I can list them if you want. However, my intuition tells me that I will like Tufts better, and that's the main reason why I'm wasting the 3k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you go to BU, you'll most likely have to do a GPR (as most BU grads do) due to the atrocious clinical training. It would suck to do a GPR making peanuts when your loan repayment kicks in--not sure how anyone can make the $2000-3000 monthly loan payments on that small salary.

I realize I will seem biased, but in this case I feel I can safely say Tufts. There are times in the past where I have felt the comparisons were close when someone asked to compare two schools, but in my opinion this is a no brainer. If that is something that's very important to you, Tufts students love the school and seem very happy. I have said this in past posts that it was something, among many other things, that drew me to Tufts. Tufts all the way.

Last edited:
Well, if you go to BU, you'll most likely have to do a GPR (as most BU grads do) due to the atrocious clinical training. It would suck to do a GPR making peanuts when your loan repayment kicks in--not sure how anyone can make the $2000-3000 monthly loan payments on that small salary.

I am pretty sure you can defer your loans while doing any type of residency... otherwise nobody would be able to afford it.

ok thanks for the input! anyone know anything about student life at tufts? BU gave a presentation on that and tufts did not.

ok thanks for the input! anyone know anything about student life at tufts? BU gave a presentation on that and tufts did not.

Each class is 180 people or so. With all those people, I'm sure we'll figure out ways to have fun whether it's school sponsored or not.

I didn't interview at BU but I did get into Tufts. Currently, it's looking like I'll go to Tufts. The students seem really happy and that is pretty high on my list. Overall, the program seems solid and I feel at any school you have chances to do research and community service through various organizations if that's what you desire. So I look at things such as, student life and where students seem real happy. I know it's going to be 4 years of hard work so I rather do it in the company of other like minded happy individuals. Tufts. Yes I'm being very biased haha

I have a cousin and a friend at BU. They love the school and they are very happy.
I think it is a personal choice and you should ask some Bu student about the school.
Good luck!

Whether you decide to go to BU or Tufts it's ultimately up to you to make it a good experience. Everything else is icing on the cake. Make a decision and run with it and I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would go to Tufts.

But... go wherever you think you would be happy.

Good luck :)

Here's a great video about Tufts. It's centered around the vertical expansion that they finished in 2011, but I thought it also gave some nice insight into the school. I hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVffGihMwqI

I'm in the same boat, I loved both schools, Tufts moreso than BU, but BU is giving me 10k per year off the top of tuition, so that may be the deal-breaker

I am pretty sure you can defer your loans while doing any type of residency... otherwise nobody would be able to afford it.

Actually I don't think you can. My friend is going to a residency program and just found out that loans will kick in during that time. I think you have to adjust your payment options but I don't think you can defer.

This is a no-brainer: TUFTS!!!!

I interviewed at both schools. BU tried to impress us during the interview day, but Tufts was clearly the superior school in many ways.

----
Tufts DMD '16

Both people who interviewed me at Tufts were BU grads but admitted Tufts had a stronger program. I would go there :)

Also interviewed at and got into both. Its a easy decision..... TUFTS

I interviewed and got accepted at both, my BU deposit was due before my interview at Tufts and I liked both schools and I decided to go with BU - I was also a little hesitant because of the negative things I read on this site but I e-mailed several students at BU and they were all honest and every school has their ups and downs but they were all happy they went to BU and they especially told me to not take this site seriously. BU has made changes in their program/curriculum recently and I saw a lot of good things and although I was impressed by Tufts too, I felt like I would be the happiest at BU - my dentist also went to BU and she went straight into practice after school (and so are some of the students I e-mailed) so if you work hard you can do well anywhere. So go with your gut and go where you think you will be the happiest for the next 4 years of your life.

When I talked to a tufts student they told me that tufts has a better home clinic, but that BU has basically monopolized on partnering with the city centers so you will have the opportunity to work in many settings. Both are attractive options, I like BU because of it, but I never heard from them

BU or Tufts, it's up to you to make it a good experience.

BU's "research" is a joke. It's not actual research at all, at best what they do can be considered meta-analyses. The 3rd year "research project" is nothing more than reading current literature and summarizing what you found. I remember doing that kind of "research" for writing term papers in high school. Their extra-curricular "research" is along the same lines and serves no real purpose other than to be able to claim they do it, as required by the ADA.

Just look at who is their director of clinical research, what a joke (she also chairs the dept of general dentistry). Based on her "research," she advocates placing sealants over active decay, without removing said decay. Dr. McManama summed her up best, "Is she really a doctor?"

BU's "research" is a joke. It's not actual research at all, at best what they do can be considered meta-analyses. The 3rd year "research project" is nothing more than reading current literature and summarizing what you found. I remember doing that kind of "research" for writing term papers in high school. Their extra-curricular "research" is along the same lines and serves no real purpose other than to be able to claim they do it, as required by the ADA.

Just look at who is their director of clinical research, what a joke (she also chairs the dept of general dentistry). Based on her "research," she advocates placing sealants over active decay, without removing said decay. Dr. McManama summed her up best, "Is she really a doctor?"

HAHA :laugh: Sounds like a great research project.