BU vs. GW Epi, 2015 Ed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JewcyFruit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point it seems that many of us are trying to weigh BUSPH vs. GWMISPH. If you're in the same boat, let's grapple with life's tough decisions together. There are similar threads from previous years; however, things change quickly. For instance, BU is changing curricula and GW just got a ton of money for scholarships.

Are you leaning towards one over the other? If so, why? Have you spoken with anyone at the school or in the department? What could make you change your mind (aside from money)?

Members don't see this ad.

Whichever school gives me the most aid, haha. I'm not kidding :yeahright: However, I am leaning more towards BU. I have OCD so I'm obsessed with getting things "done" ahead of time. I don't like surprises, so I've already made a round of calls and I intend to make plenty more in the future!

I am currently obsessing over housing. I think that I would like Boston more than D.C.--I've only lived in D.C., so this maybe wishful thinking. But I am fascinated by Boston!

And how else am I to find my Harvard legacy husband??? A girl has needs.

Reactions: 1 users
Giiiiirl (how heteronormative for me to assume your gender and sexual orientation, so forgive me that). We're the same. Let's be friends. Wanna start a study group at the medical school?

OTHER PEOPLE STOP JUDGING US. I FEEL YOUR JUDGY EYES.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've lived in both cities (attended BU for my MPH).

I personally preferred DC for its superior housing options and (marginally) better transit system. The weather in Boston is better (well, not winter, but DC summers are brutal) and there's some more interesting food options.

School-wise, I think both schools are pretty solid so you can't go wrong with either one. I would personally recommend going to the school that has the more interesting city.

Giiiiirl (how heteronormative for me to assume your gender and sexual orientation, so forgive me that). We're the same. Let's be friends. Wanna start a study group at the medical school?

OTHER PEOPLE STOP JUDGING US. I FEEL YOUR JUDGY EYES.

Ahhh, yes. Nothing like starting a gang before you actually set foot on the campus :thumbup: I'm in!

@Stories, did you find the faculty more supportive at either? Coming at this as having been an MA student before, but in History, MA students were obviously lower on the totem poll generally for many of the more famous professors. Though, because of the professional nature of the PH degrees, would you say PhD and MPH students are both treated the same way? Also, this may sound strange, but in history Americanists would often not talk to or cooperate with Europeanists, etc. (at the faculty level, which would eventually spillover to the students by comps). Is there much of that at either school or are the faculties pretty cooperative and willing to work together?

You should pick GW, because there's a likely chance you'll have an extra in your study group. That extra being me.

Reactions: 2 users
Or me... It's like the start of a comedy... #sixseasonsandamovie

I went to UG in DC and loved it. It's a great city to be in as a young professional in your mid-20s and 30s. I can't say much as to the difference between these programs, but I would imagine they will both provide excellent opportunities. One great thing about DC is all the big health institutions located there. I lived in Bethesda area one year and around M street another year (right near GW, my roommate went there). It was really fun living right in the city and from my apartment I could actually walk to Georgetown, albeit it was a solid walk. As Stories mentioned, can't beat all the international cuisines. Lot's of fun bars/clubs whatever your interests be. GW also has a great medical school so I am sure opportunities exist there. One last thing I will say in favor of DC is the weather. I am from CA so I was nervous to have real seasons. As it turns out the weather is pretty mild. Not many days of snow, and not often super cold. The summer, though, kind of sucks, but as a Californian I dislike humidity. Good luck on your decisions everyone!!

GW also has a great medical school so I am sure opportunities exist there.

A+ ;) :cool: :bookworm: :xf::banana:

Wink, cool face, "study" face, and fingers crossed all make some sense. Dancing banana is just for fun.

But in all seriousness, I love DC. I love the idea of being a few blocks from Dupont/Kramer's Books/Nothing But Nets and the UN Foundation's other amazing programs. But there is also something about BU that I can't shake. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's Julian Edelman. I don't know.

Wink, cool face, "study" face, and fingers crossed all make some sense. Dancing banana is just for fun.

But in all seriousness, I love DC. I love the idea of being a few blocks from Dupont/Kramer's Books/Nothing But Nets and the UN Foundation's other amazing programs. But there is also something about BU that I can't shake. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's Julian Edelman. I don't know.
I can always appreciate a dancing banana. Kramer's Books is the best! Well I am sure there is lots of cool stuff like that in Boston, plus Julian Edelman (who I just googled and completely understand why you would want to go there ;)). And here is another dancing banana for good measure:banana:

Seriously, the red velvet everything. And the crab cake pasta! All in the same space as the books! It's nerd heaven.

Ahhh, yes. We have the same dilemma. I too, realize all the job opportunities in D.C.--honestly, if you want to work for the government I believe that's the best public health school hands down. The connections, the location... Works so wonderfully. And I have a friend that works at the NIH that told me that she could get me an internship over there if I decided to go to GW!

But I really like BU too! Decisions :rolleyes:

And I too am a bookworm! I read a minimum of 30 books a year, but once college starts I'm sure it'll dwindle down to 0...

Members don't see this ad :)
The peanut butter pie! Oh, Kramer Books...

Was told by GW that they do not offer grants or scholarships to graduate students (nor any need-base aid).

zigdyvQ.png

Unless you were lucky enough to score a merit or dean's scholarship, you're paying everything with loans BB!

BU's tuition is high, but it's only for 1.5 years which turns out to be cheaper in the long run. Hmm, decisions.

Last edited:
Show of hands, who got an e-mail with one of those swanky merit scholarships? Anyone? Buhler? Aaannnd, BU, go. I hope you all love small, yappy, fat dogs and Jewish holiday foods. See you in the 617.

Show of hands, who got an e-mail with one of those swanky merit scholarships? Anyone? Buhler? Aaannnd, BU, go. I hope you all love small, yappy, fat dogs and Jewish holiday foods. See you in the 617.

Apparently, in order to qualify for a merit scholarship at GWU you need to have at least a 3.5 (check) and a GRE score of 70% or higher (darnit). I took the GRE when I was still suffering from post-concussion syndrome (I have my suspicions that I still have it due to bad migraines)--I was having a lot of cognitive issues, I couldn't even stand for long periods of time TBH! When I was taking the test, I had double vision and after awhile my brain turned into pudding and I couldn't understand/read the questions and answers (I started clicking anything at this point, lol)! All around terrible experience, happy I did "OK".

Sucks that I was disqualified for a much needed scholarship just because I was knocked out by metal bar :yeahright:

That's terrible. I hope you can sue the owner of said metal bar. I had a full blown panic attack during mine because some ***** on the other side of the cubicle was banging/shaking and it was driving me nuts. Of course it was during the quant section, where I need the most focus and time. I'm usually super calm and nice to everyone, but I totally screamed at him in the parking lot. It made me feel better.

Reactions: 2 users
Have they definitely notified all scholarship recipients already? I know GW said they would finish notifying everyone before the end of the month via the Facebook group, but I didn't see if everyone had already been notified.

Sorry to hear about the concussion (and having to take the GRE afterwards)! It does make me wish the qualifying components were less set in stone. Of course, I'm in the opposite situation. I had a 3.5 at the start of my last semester and AGH A B+ IN DANCE HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO DUMB and I finished with a 3.47.

Have they definitely notified all scholarship recipients already? I know GW said they would finish notifying everyone before the end of the month via the Facebook group, but I didn't see if everyone had already been notified.

Sorry to hear about the concussion (and having to take the GRE afterwards)! It does make me wish the qualifying components were less set in stone. Of course, I'm in the opposite situation. I had a 3.5 at the start of my last semester and AGH A B+ IN DANCE HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO DUMB and I finished with a 3.47.

The concussion was actually my fault. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low, I blacked out at checkout (at the grocery store LMFAO, I can never show my face there again) and when I fell I guess I hit my head on the metal railing behind me. I can't remember falling or anything besides waking up on the floor. I was out COLD, haha. Great luck I had in '14!

I spoke to them this afternoon and I was told they notified everyone as of today. SMH... I'm kinda surprised since GW is in DC, you would think that they would get more federal funding!

Shoot, I'm also considering Tulane and they seem to have a lot more going on for them as well. IDK why GW has like NOTHING? It doesn't make sense to me... Hopefully the person I talked to is just out of the loop.

That's terrible. I hope you can sue the owner of said metal bar. I had a full blown panic attack during mine because some ***** on the other side of the cubicle was banging/shaking and it was driving me nuts. Of course it was during the quant section, where I need the most focus and time. I'm usually super calm and nice to everyone, but I totally screamed at him in the parking lot. It made me feel better.

The thing that I'm angriest about on that blessed day is the crappy $13 "salmon" salad from an "authentic" French restaurant. $13 and gross!!! What a waste of my money! :arghh:

Last edited:
@Stories, did you find the faculty more supportive at either? Coming at this as having been an MA student before, but in History, MA students were obviously lower on the totem poll generally for many of the more famous professors. Though, because of the professional nature of the PH degrees, would you say PhD and MPH students are both treated the same way? Also, this may sound strange, but in history Americanists would often not talk to or cooperate with Europeanists, etc. (at the faculty level, which would eventually spillover to the students by comps). Is there much of that at either school or are the faculties pretty cooperative and willing to work together?

PhD students will be given first priority for projects because the purpose of PhD students is to publish papers with faculty. PhD students (and post-docs) make up the bulk of any professor's workflow, so they have first priority. MPH students, in general, don't need substantial 1:1 time with professors since most of a MPH is composed of coursework. If you want to do research, faculty are obviously very receptive, although you may not find much work until after you've acquired some skills that are useful (likely 2nd year).

Professors run their own research programs and may consult others for expertise in some areas. Some professors run collaborative centers which encompass many professors. It really depends upon the projects that each faculty member has running. But for the most part, professors must have independent research programs, otherwise they won't have any opportunities for growth and promotion within the university.

The concussion was actually my fault. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low, I blacked out at checkout (at the grocery store LMFAO, I can never show my face there again) and when I fell I guess I hit my head on the metal railing behind me. I can't remember falling or anything besides waking up on the floor. I was out COLD, haha. Great luck I had in '14!

I spoke to them this afternoon and I was told they notified everyone as of today. SMH... I'm kinda surprised since GW is in DC, you would think that they would get more federal funding!

Shoot, I'm also considering Tulane and they seem to have a lot more going on for them as well. IDK why GW has like NOTHING? It doesn't make sense to me... Hopefully the person I talked to is just out of the loop.

The thing that I'm angriest about on that blessed day is the crappy $13 "salmon" salad from an "authentic" French restaurant. $13 and gross!!! What a waste of my money! :arghh:

Yikes! I had something like that happen after I nicked my finger in art class freshman year of high school with a linoleum cutter (not serious, but location of it made it painful) and fainted from blinding pain after cleaning the cut in the bathroom. Woke up with used paper towels in my hair and my head on the bathroom floor tile. Too bad I had to show my face there for another three years...seriously, glad you are OK and weren't (t00) badly injured. Ugh, when I think of terrible places to faint it gets quite scary.

NOOO they can't have notified everyone!! Why...no...but...monies...me...maybe I'll be working full-time for my first year of a program after all. No money elsewhere, lawl.

PhD students will be given first priority for projects because the purpose of PhD students is to publish papers with faculty. PhD students (and post-docs) make up the bulk of any professor's workflow, so they have first priority. MPH students, in general, don't need substantial 1:1 time with professors since most of a MPH is composed of coursework. If you want to do research, faculty are obviously very receptive, although you may not find much work until after you've acquired some skills that are useful (likely 2nd year).

Professors run their own research programs and may consult others for expertise in some areas. Some professors run collaborative centers which encompass many professors. It really depends upon the projects that each faculty member has running. But for the most part, professors must have independent research programs, otherwise they won't have any opportunities for growth and promotion within the university.

Thanks for the insight! I spoke with a prof. at GW yesterday and she said something very similar. Options for second-year students are much greater as hopefully you'll have gained the relevant statistical skills. I haven't used statistical software since sophomore year of college, for example. o_O

I'm interested in reproductive epi and I have thoughts of doing research that would encompass MCH, too. That's why I ask about how well they work together, when needed. I appreciate your reply!

BU just posted an article about how harmful Fifty Shades of Grey is. That may be cement my decision. I'm so proud of them, no other SPH has posted anything about it (yet, that I've seen, and I follow most of them).

I'm so glad! My cousin got her PhD there in MCH a few years ago and is now in Malawi. I'm sure she'll be very proud.

How much do rooms usually run over there (Boston)? I wonder if there is a price difference between Craigslist and the Off-Campus Listings (or even the University owned apartments? Their website says that rooms start at $900)? I would obviously like to stay close enough to the school. A 30 minute commute wouldn't be too bad. But I definitely wanna live in an area where there are a lot of cafes, restaurants and bars!

So, from my understanding... The recommended neighborhoods for Boston are: Brighton and what was the other one? Brookline? I need to write this all down somewhere... I'm pretty much 200% sure that I wanna send in my intent to BU within the next month. But still waiting for my financial aid package.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons right now, but it's hard because the heart wants what it wants :rolleyes:

If I do decide to go to GW, I'll probably live in Virginia. Wasn't a huge fan of Maryland.

Boston, bless its heart, is complicated. BUMC is in South End, which is, under no circumstances, to be confused with South Boston (aka Southie). Apparently 25% of BUSPH/Med/Dental students live in South End. Brookline and Brighton are both just outside of Boston city proper and on the Green line so you'll be making a few train swaps to get to campus. There is Quincy which is on the red line, so it's no train swap, you can take it pretty close and take a bus. I've been using Trulia and Zillow a lot, but I think, come April 15, it's going to get a lot cheaper and easier because all the Sept. 1 leases will be up and roommate listings will be up. I don't think school starts until like Sept. 8 or 9 (7 is Labor Day). Anyway, there are a TON of places, most of which include heat and hot water, within a 1/4 of school. Personally, I'm trying for one of those.

PS: I've never lived in Boston or visited for more than 4 days. I'm just in love with the city.

Boston, bless its heart, is complicated. BUMC is in South End, which is, under no circumstances, to be confused with South Boston (aka Southie). Apparently 25% of BUSPH/Med/Dental students live in South End. Brookline and Brighton are both just outside of Boston city proper and on the Green line so you'll be making a few train swaps to get to campus. There is Quincy which is on the red line, so it's no train swap, you can take it pretty close and take a bus. I've been using Trulia and Zillow a lot, but I think, come April 15, it's going to get a lot cheaper and easier because all the Sept. 1 leases will be up and roommate listings will be up. I don't think school starts until like Sept. 8 or 9 (7 is Labor Day). Anyway, there are a TON of places, most of which include heat and hot water, within a 1/4 of school. Personally, I'm trying for one of those.

PS: I've never lived in Boston or visited for more than 4 days. I'm just in love with the city.

BMC is on the border of the South End and South Boston. It's actually a 20 minute walk from Andrew Sq (red line T stop in South Boston) and a 20 minute walk from the Mass Ave orange line T stop. There are buses you can take which will basically take you from stop to BMC relatively quickly (depending on traffic). This gives you MANY options, but best bet is living on the orange or red lines in my opinion. I'd avoid Allston like the plague as it is full of BU undergrads and just generally a depraved place.

Places I would consider (in no particular order) that offer relatively affordable options, good food/culture, a good social scene, and will keep your commute under an hr: Davis Sq (somerville... red line), Porter Sq (somerville/cambridge... red line), Inman Sq (cambridge/somerville... red line), Andrew Sq (Boston... red line), parts of Dorchester (Boston... red line), Jamaica Plain (Boston... orange line... best neighborhood imo), Quincy (red line... more suburban, but cheap-ish), Winter Hill (somerville... orange line... up and coming area... cheapish).

There are deals to be had in this city for sure, but unfortunately it's much easier if you know people. I've paid as little as $350 for a room (in a decent 4 bed apartment) and as much as $1400 for a really nice one bed. I wouldn't wait until after April 15th... I would start looking now. I'd avoid Trulia and Zillow and stick to craigslist and local realty agents.

PS Brighton is part of Boston

I didn't know Brighton was a part of Boston! Do you have any suggestions for us that are looking now from 1,500 miles away? I don't want to sign a lease without seeing a place, driving/walking/whatever the neighborhood, etc. Once we make our decision (so, once Harvard and Tufts officially reject me next week, even though I'd still pick BU over Tufts anyway) should we plan a trip? What are some of the best local agencies?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to find a great 1/1 or studio close to campus that will take me and my dog, plus my Beetle needs a home, too. I honestly feel more overwhelmed finding housing than I did applying.

I've never had to find an apartment as an outsider, so I can't really answer the "should we plan a trip" question, but I'd probably try to do so. Or at least schedule to meet with realty folks when you're here for admitted students day. I'd scour craigslist... most of the agencies advertise on there. Things get scooped up sooooooooooo quickly, often times agencies don't even put their *best* and *cheapest* stuff on there...

9/1 is the day that basically everyone in the city of Boston is moving around, so it's a bit of a zoo. If you can afford it, moving in August might not be a bad idea :)

9/1 is the day that basically everyone in the city of Boston is moving around, so it's a bit of a zoo. If you can afford it, moving in August might not be a bad idea :)

Yea, I figured. My rent over here is due on the 15th, so my master plan is to move to Boston somewhere near the 15th of August. It'll give me time to relax and explore the city before I go back to having no life again, haha.

I'll definitely be looking for a roommate though, hopefully someone who ALREADY has a room. It'll make the whole process a lot easier for me.

I found an apartment building that is RIGHT across the street and includes heat/hot water, has laundry in the unit, and our student IDs will allow us to enter one the the med school buildings across the street so we can cut through there and be outside only a minimum amount come winter, but they want 2,500 for a STUDIO. Ahahahahahaha. Though, they do have a bunch of 2/2s and it is SO tempting to just put myself on the list and tell myself I'll find a roommate. Though, they can't have a pet but must LOVE dogs, because my Lucy is a rescue that was super abused/neglected and needs all the love and attention. So, probably not.