BU vs UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lex1489

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in both, deposits at both (got into BU first, then UMDNJ later on). I'm an NJ resident so the choice seems obvious money-wise. I'd save some 160k by staying instate over going to BU, but a lot of trash talk has been thrown around about UMDNJ and Newark, and it's kind of killing that "I'm going to save 160k" high.

UMDNJ:
Much cheaper
Great clinical school (definitely my focus)
Nasty location
Scandal

BU:
Boston!
Spread out exam schedule is attractive
So damn expensive
Not sure how to feel about APEX

Any current UMDNJ students who can vouch for their school? I'm 99% going to go there.. but I'd like to nick that 1% at the bud with some positivity about the location and the reputation going in.

Members don't see this ad.

Scandal?

I'm going to BU this year too, but if you don't like APEX then I would definitely go to UMDNJ. If you don't mind the area(which I don't think is a big problem since you live in the area which means you have friends and family around) then those are also nods to UMDNJ.

I think the APEX program is great. It's like a mandatory externship where you learn real-world practice. The only complaint I heard from students was that they should shorten its duration.

why would you pay an extra 160K? saving that money is the only reason you need seems like a very easy decision to me lol

Members don't see this ad :)
It is... I'm really just looking for UMDNJ students to tell me Newark isn't as bad as I expect. :)

Not sure how to feel about APEX

I'm wondering why you're not sure how to feel about APEX. From what I know about it, it seems like a great opportunity. I'm curious if there's something I'm not thinking of, though.

I'm wondering why you're not sure how to feel about APEX. From what I know about it, it seems like a great opportunity. I'm curious if there's something I'm not thinking of, though.

It was a post someone made on SDN, and it was a while ago so to be honest the line between what was actually posted and how I interpreted it is pretty vaguely drawn -- He/she said the program worked more as a cheap labor source. He spent most of his time doing grunt work and apparently didn't take anything positive out of the experience. He said if you already spent a lot of time shadowing, APEX is a waste of time.

Granted, he may have just been stuck with a "lemon" doc, but I can definitely picture 8 weeks being spent uselessly. Very limited knowledge and no experience with procedures (in the summer after D1) would seem to leave you unable to take anything from watching procedures.

Other than watching the actual procedures, you could gain from "experiencing a practice in motion," but it seems like a lot of time spent with nothing to do or focus on. Occasionally you may note a special efficiency or inefficiency that could help you in running a future practice, but is it worth a cumulative 16 weeks of your time? You can observe different practices being run as a part-time associate at multiple clinics, and then you'd be making money and honing your skills.

I wish I was in your position. I'd love to be able to go to a state school and save some money. While I'm glad to be going to BU, I'm not looking forward to the mounds of debt I'll be in when I'm done :/

APEX is a rediculous waste of time. Everything you learn during those 5 months could have been learned in less than 2 days. Plus, it is knowingly fundamentally unfairly graded. One of the best students in our class showed up and worked his ass off every day for 3 months, praised by the staff, put up with an abusive mentor, submitted all assignments, but still ended up with a D for this 5 credit course; while another classmate went on vacation for 3 months, traveling abroad, but got an A for the less than a single week he actually worked at his sister-in-law's practice.

APEX is just a advertising/marketing ploy for prospective students, and seems more about cutting costs (they don't pay these mentors) and to alleviate the overcrowded facilities. I can think of many better ways for to have used those 5 months.

As for scandals, BU has more than their fair share, they just aren't making national headlines.

And the school's facility is crappy and is located in the middle of the worst areas of Boston. South Boston and Roxbury have the highest homocide rates in the city - about 1 a week. I lived across the street from the campus and you could literally hear the gunshots at night a couple times a week.

Also, BU is an abysmal clinical school.

It is... I'm really just looking for UMDNJ students to tell me Newark isn't as bad as I expect. :)

I've watched someone get tackled by police trying to rob a store across the street from the student apartment building. Yesterday someone was shot outside the dollar store across the street. If you have to take the bus back to campus at night, carry mace. I wish I could paint a better picture for you hehe.

The actual school is good though, and in your case I'd still pick it over BU, especially for the cost savings. Just don't get your hopes up about the area. Without a car you'll be a bit stranded on the tiny campus.

I'm not a UMDNJ dental student, but am finishing the pre-dental masters, so I can still give you a pretty good opinion.

Lets not forget that the craigslist killer went to BU's medical school, just across the street, a stone's throw away from the dental school.

And remember this, those violent criminals you want to avoid, well you get to treat them during your oral surgery rotation. Everybody spends at least 1 day on a field trip to the prison where you get to work on convicted inmates, and during the rest of your 2 week rotation you can work on inmates that have traveled to the school for treatment. Don't worry, that murderer that needs a tooth extracted is wearing a bright orange suit and has his hands and feet shackled, and there's always two armed policeman nearby. Just keep an eye on all your sharp instruments/weapons.

Lets not forget that the craigslist killer went to BU's medical school, just across the street, a stone's throw away from the dental school.

And remember this, those violent criminals you want to avoid, well you get to treat them during your oral surgery rotation. Everybody spends at least 1 day on a field trip to the prison where you get to work on convicted inmates, and during the rest of your 2 week rotation you can work on inmates that have traveled to the school for treatment. Don't worry, that murderer that needs a tooth extracted is wearing a bright orange suit and has his hands and feet shackled, and there's always two armed policeman nearby. Just keep an eye on all your sharp instruments/weapons.

For real? Is this prison trip mandatory? WTF?

I applied for the MS Prosthodontics Program and got accepted both in BU and UMDNJ. I have only another 5 - 6 days to decide which one and I am thoroughly confused. Does anybody know a decent amount about the BU Prosthodontics Program?

I applied for the MS Prosthodontics Program and got accepted both in BU and UMDNJ. I have only another 5 - 6 days to decide which one and I am thoroughly confused. Does anybody know a decent amount about the BU Prosthodontics Program?

I would go with UMDNJ

you'll probably get a better answer to this question in the dental residents forum.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=138

For real? Is this prison trip mandatory? WTF?

As any 4th year BU student or grad can answer,
Yes, it is mandatory, since most of your oral surgery experience will come from this field trip. (Another fine example of how badly the school needs patients for their DMD program)
FYI, the place is Shattuk Correctional Unit.

P.S. treating prisoners is not nearly as bad as treating the many out-of-control patients with serious psychotic illnesses, who come to BU as a last resort since they have been dismissed from every other practice. at least most prisoners fear the dentist and are quite submissive. crazy people don't cooperate and have become violent.