BU worst School Ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shorty1235

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is in his second year in Boston Dental School of Medicine, and he cannot believe how bad the school is for the amount of money they charge. It's a private school so that why it's going to be expensive, but he wishes he had chosen to go to another school.

I just got accepted to the school, but i'm thinking about going elsewhere (other private schools), i have heard great things about tufts and detroit mercy. Any suggestions

Members don't see this ad.

Every dental school has students who will tell you it's the best, and the worst, in the entire universe. Factoring in other people's input is great, but don't let someone else make the decision for you. :)

not just that but it really seems that most dental students, regardless of where they go to school, think, and often say, that dental school sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both the schools, and if I had my choice I'd pick Tufts. They're both private, however in my humble opinion Tufts facilities seem a notch higher. Not to mention the people there were much more concerened and interested in us, than the BU staff was at that interview.

shorty1235 said:
My friend is in his second year in Boston Dental School of Medicine, and he cannot believe how bad the school is for the amount of money they charge. It's a private school so that why it's going to be expensive, but he wishes he had chosen to go to another school.

I just got accepted to the school, but i'm thinking about going elsewhere (other private schools), i have heard great things about tufts and detroit mercy. Any suggestions

shorty1235 said:

Hands down Tufts!! How can you pass up on the opportunity to be a Jumbo!! No bias here either :laugh:

shorty1235 said:

This is just one person's opinion (not even your own). You can find a handful of people in every dental school in the world who are unhappy with their school. Are you predental or premed, because you posted about another school in the premed forum...?

shorty1235 said:

I think BU is great!
Really... I mean they tell you everything in advance, the program is detailed, so I don't know what people expect from a dental school.

Being a class president, I can tell you that many bitch and complain about stupid things that they can't even find the solution when I ask them to. Many people had easy undergrads, so, they expected dental school to be the same. The truth is, this is professional school and it will be difficult no matter where you are and how much money you pay. I cannot unerstand how some people expect to show up to dental school and be handed their degrees 4 years later.

Some people have entitlment issues, and they have to deal with them when they get to dental school...

So, dental school is what you make out if it. People around do need to help out, and that's how it is here at BU. I feel that the faculty help to make this dental school a great place to be.

As class president - I would hope that you really like your school.

fightingspirit said:
not just that but it really seems that most dental students, regardless of where they go to school, think, and often say, that dental school sucks.

Is the Stony Brook class filled yet? Where are you living? When your in the Port Jeff - check out this place called Tiger Lily for lunch - it's amazing.

DB#1 said:
I think BU is great!
Really... I mean they tell you everything in advance, the program is detailed, so I don't know what people expect from a dental school.

Being a class president, I can tell you that many bitch and complain about stupid things that they can't even find the solution when I ask them to. Many people had easy undergrads, so, they expected dental school to be the same. The truth is, this is professional school and it will be difficult no matter where you are and how much money you pay. I cannot unerstand how some people expect to show up to dental school and be handed their degrees 4 years later.

Some people have entitlment issues, and they have to deal with them when they get to dental school...

So, dental school is what you make out if it. People around do need to help out, and that's how it is here at BU. I feel that the faculty help to make this dental school a great place to be.

There are two things that should jump out at everyone to make this guy's opinion about BU basically useless:

1. Class of 2009
2. Class President

In other words, not only does he know nothing since he is still a freshman, but he is the class president which means he's a big kiss-ass who would love BU no matter what.....BUYER BEWARE :hardy:

And this coming from the good Doctor who has said absolutely zilch about BU that could be considered even remotely deserving. I swear you seek out threads about BU just to slanderize. However it does seem as though you now have a protege.

As for the OP, everyone on here has their pet peeves and mine is feedback -- good or negative without any examples, anecdotes, or simple reasons for providing one's opinion. Is it too expensive? Wah. Move on, troll.

Mack

I agree with DB#1...and I would say an overwhelming amount of our class would choose BU over again, without hesitation. Doesnt have anything to do with his class presidency.

Dental school is busy, stressful, and tiring...this doesnt change. Go to school expecting this or life will be brutal. People who hate their dental schools are the weak links who struggle to meet the standard of education set by their respective schools.

Academically, Ive been challenged to the utmost. Socially, my classmates are cool as ****. Locationally (not sure what the hell this means), Boston is a fun town.

Im sure I can scope out some classmates who'd rather be at another school, but for each of them, I will find you a few that would say otherwise. This goes for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students...as well as every other school in the country.

Mackchops said:
And this coming from the good Doctor who has said absolutely zilch about BU that could be considered even remotely deserving. I swear you seek out threads about BU just to slanderize. However it does seem as though you now have a protege.

As for the OP, everyone on here has their pet peeves and mine is feedback -- good or negative without any examples, anecdotes, or simple reasons for providing one's opinion. Is it too expensive? Wah. Move on, troll.

Mack

Hey a$$hole.....I never bashed BU. I was bashing DB#1's credibility.

Rezdawg has alwasy been pro-BU, but have I ever bashed any of his posts? No. Because he is realistic and when he writes, he actually writes well and makes good points...unlike DB#1 who is uber-gay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of bashing opinion of a current student, I would first question the credibility of the OP and motivation behind his/her post. The above comment is his first post in pre-dental forum (2nd post on SDN) and he is bashing a dental school already while his current status reads as "pre-optometry"! I am inclined to guess that the OP is ranked low on BU's waitlist and is trying to get people withdraw their acceptances.

Comet208 said:
Instead of bashing opinion of a current student, I would first question the credibility of the OP and motivation behind his/her post. The above comment is his first post in pre-dental forum (2nd post on SDN) and he is bashing a dental school already while his current status reads as "pre-optometry"! I am inclined to guess that the OP is ranked low on BU's waitlist and is trying to get people withdraw their acceptances.

Funny thing is that this actually happens...one of my classmates did this, and he ended up getting taken off the waitlist. Pretty funny.

Infamous said:
Is the Stony Brook class filled yet? Where are you living? When your in the Port Jeff - check out this place called Tiger Lily for lunch - it's amazing.

thanks for the restaurant recommendation. yes, the class is complete. we are 39 this year. waitlist has been filled too and if some folks bail out, there are some wonderfull Stony-hopefulls on SDN whom i hope would be accepted in that case.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Hey a$$hole.....I never bashed BU. I was bashing DB#1's credibility.

Rezdawg has alwasy been pro-BU, but have I ever bashed any of his posts? No. Because he is realistic and when he writes, he actually writes well and makes good points...unlike DB#1 who is uber-gay.

Why is Dr. BadVibes banned? Inquiring minds wants to me.

shorty1235 said:

This post should be a template for all who hate one school or another for their own reasons, whether someone told them or not....

"My friend is in his/her _______ year in ______ Dental School of Medicine, and he/she cannot believe how bad the school is for ____________ . It's a private/public school so that why it's going to be _________, but he/she wishes he had chosen to go to another school."

Cry me a RIVER!

Dr.BadVibes said:
There are two things that should jump out at everyone to make this guy's opinion about BU basically useless:

1. Class of 2009
2. Class President

In other words, not only does he know nothing since he is still a freshman, but he is the class president which means he's a big kiss-ass who would love BU no matter what.....BUYER BEWARE :hardy:

Haha!
I said that I will ignore your posts a year ago and I have been (BTW I didn't report you).

I mean look at your reply, it has so many great points to it and you make soooo much sense. :rolleyes:

Since you're into traveling, I have a suggestion for you. You should take a hike on brookback mountains and find your true love and forget about this "vegi" crap, cuz we all know you're a hot dog lover.

I'm not surprised that one of my classmates said this about BU this week. There were few people this week in my class who did not feel that way at one time or another as we waited in line to take or develop radiographs for our pre-clinical endo week. Not well run, perhaps one of the most disorganized and poorly run operations i've ever seen. It was a very, very stressful week for most people in my class. And it also showed a severe weakness in this aspect of our preclinical education. I'm not happy about it either.

Do I hate BU because of it? No. Do I love my school more now? No. Do I want a long break from dental school? Yes. Am I going to drink a lot tonight? Yes.

P.S. I don't think I can express how irritating badvibes is. I would fight him without hesitation, especially after this week.

And about "BU worst school ever"... more like "worst thread ever". Worst week ever, perhaps. Worst school ever, not likely. Best school ever, probably not. Dental school is going to suck at many points no matter where you go, that's a personal guarantee from me. :thumbup:

BOTTOM LINE: No dental school is a walk in the park. It's just something you go through to get to your goal of being a dentist!

Blackstars said:
Bring back the doctor! he is a long time member.

colt said:
Bring back the doctor! he is a long time member.
That's not an excuse to flagrantly attack other users. No matter how long you've been here, break the rules recklessly enough, and you'll be shown the door.

I agree with DB and Rezdawg. Our school isn't perfect, but no school is! Although I was initially hesitant on BU myself, I couldn't be happier with my decision to go there. The admin and faculty are very supportive and man our class ROCKS!!! We're in a great school, in a great city, surrounded by awesome people that are all helping each other get through these 4 years. It's true, dental school is really what u make of it.

By the way, I'm one of those people who constantly bitches about little things (lol DB!) but thats what happens when u have 16 classes and a million exams....but looking back, it really isn't ALL that bad! :oops:

Blackstars said:
Dr. BadVibes is banned because of his track record. Look it up, it ain't pretty.

shorty1235 said:

I guess your friend is not doing well at BU. It is common to find the failures or the near-failures complain about everything. Dental education is no easy otherwise you'll meet dentists everywhere on the street given the rewards and luxury lifestyle of the profession.

It's not the school to blame for your poor performance. I can't compare BU dental with other schools b/c I never attended those others. I am in my 3rd year at BU. Personally I think BUSDM is a great school. Students'll get alot of practical training and exposed to high end technology. The Simulation Learning Center is awesome and is accessible for pre-clinical practice 7am to 12am. Clinically you don't have to worry about finding patients with BUMP-UP program. The falculty members are super friendly and very approachable. Best of all, the administration to actively listen to its student body and make change accordingly and necessarily. To support my claims you can check out the most recent BUSDM accreditation(2005) by ADA's commission on dental accriditation. You can check out http://www.dentalschool.bu.edu/news/default.htm or www.ada.org.

I was accepted to TUFT, PEN and BU. I am glad to have chosen BU. The higher cost of a few thousand dollars is not a big issue comparing to how much you pay in all and how much you can make after graduation. So don't let this few thousand $$ and a stupid friend of yours deter you from having an excellent dental education experience.

If I were to repeat my choice of school I still choose BU. By the way BU's geographical location is inferior to TUFT's which is located right in the center of entertainment district and China Town. Well, why am I in Boston? location, do I care?

I suggest you to visit schools and do some research other than one or two of your friends. No two persons are the same. Your friend dislike BU but you may.

Good luck

aphistis said:
Every dental school has students who will tell you it's the best, and the worst, in the entire universe. Factoring in other people's input is great, but don't let someone else make the decision for you. :)
this is one of the best said things ever!