Buffalo Waitlist Starting To Move!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
prabhara said:
Just called the office. The secretary said they are in the lower of the middle third! Hopefully we'll be hearing sometime soon.....
Holy Crap! And the drama continues! The suspense is killing me! :eek:

Best of luck to all the waitlistees :thumbup: :luck: :thumbup: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

prabhara said:
Just called the office. The secretary said they are in the lower of the middle third! Hopefully we'll be hearing sometime soon.....

That's sooooooooooooooo cool! I talked with Mr. Rosso on Monday and he didn't think they'd make it down that far for another week. Something dramatic must have happened since Monday... I hope the secretary is realistic about the position right now. Thanks so much for your info! Hopefully we'll all get in really soon! :D :luck: :thumbup:

hmno82 said:
That's sooooooooooooooo cool! I talked with Mr. Rosso on Monday and he didn't think they'd make it down that far for another week. Something dramatic must have happened since Monday... I hope the secretary is realistic about the position right now. Thanks so much for your info! Hopefully we'll all get in really soon! :D :luck: :thumbup:

i was told that they had two big turnovers. i think one of them was the last day in which people could get their refund and i think the second was either this past weekend or the weekend before. secretary didn't know why...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some really confusing information. I called UB and talked with the secretary (who said she just got back from vacation, so she was a little out of it). She said that she believed that they were in the upper part of the lower third. That means that many of us should have been called already. If anyone has spoken with Mr. Rosso or another secretary that has said otherwise please let us know. :)

The secretary was prob just mistaken. Dont you think? There's no way they could have gotten that far down the list in 3 days, especially since everyone was on vacation for most of it. Did you tell her that you were in the middle third and never got called?

I'm sure she was mistaken, but I already call too much and I didn't want to bother them again. I thought maybe someone else might have called and received more accurate info.

I called again today and a different secretary said the same thing. I told her that I was in the middle third and that I haven't been called. She put me on hold, and after a few minutes she picked up and said that she made an error and that they were in the bottom of the middle third. She also said they were moving slowly.

whats up everyone? i got the call yesterday and declined the offer this morning. i was in the bottom of the middle third, so there is still movement. keep the hope alive. good luck to everyone!!

prabhara said:
whats up everyone? i got the call yesterday and declined the offer this morning. i was in the bottom of the middle third, so there is still movement. keep the hope alive. good luck to everyone!!

i don't understand why people stay on the waitlist for a school they're not going to attend...?? :confused:

IceKid said:
i don't understand why people stay on the waitlist for a school they're not going to attend...?? :confused:

i was still considering it up until the hour i called. after talking with my parents, i decided that buffalo wasnt the right choice for me.

prabhara said:
i was still considering it up until the hour i called. after talking with my parents, i decided that buffalo wasnt the right choice for me.

I know the feeling. You shouldn't have to defend your reasons for staying on the waitlist. We all have our reasons for staying on and then passing. I am on the WL at UB, (albeit lowdown), and am in at a different school and I really don't know what I would do yet. Sometimes the decisions have to be based on 'real' choices, or else you can't really make them... Good Luck!!!

Is anyone else waiting on Buffalo from out of state? Im kind of nervous...i mean if Im accepted Im going to have to pick up and move in a matter of days. And I dont know anyone in Buffalo, nor do I really know my way around.
This waiting is crazy...

jopdo said:
I know the feeling. You shouldn't have to defend your reasons for staying on the waitlist. We all have our reasons for staying on and then passing. I am on the WL at UB, (albeit lowdown), and am in at a different school and I really don't know what I would do yet. Sometimes the decisions have to be based on 'real' choices, or else you can't really make them... Good Luck!!!

just curious- i guess b/c i don't need that sort of pressure to know where i want to be. good luck to both of you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
IceKid said:
just curious- i guess b/c i don't need that sort of pressure to know where i want to be. good luck to both of you :)

Just to sate your curiousity... The reason why this choice is so hard for me, is because neither schools were exactly where I had envisioned myself going. I believe there is no wrong choice; both schools offer equally compelling yet very different options/features. So, for me the suspense continues. I believe that had I gotten into a school which was a more obvious "first choice", I would have let go of any other acceptances/WL that were pending; and, I would expect others in the same boat to do the same.

There is a lot of irony in this situation because now that I am waiting, waiting, waiting... for UB, I have to deal with the fact that I was not one of UB's "first choice"...

jopdo said:
Just to sate your curiousity... The reason why this choice is so hard for me, is because neither schools were exactly where I had envisioned myself going. I believe there is no wrong choice; both schools offer equally compelling yet very different options/features. So, for me the suspense continues. I believe that had I gotten into a school which was a more obvious "first choice", I would have let go of any other acceptances/WL that were pending; and, I would expect others in the same boat to do the same.

There is a lot of irony in this situation because now that I am waiting, waiting, waiting... for UB, I have to deal with the fact that I was not one of UB's "first choice"...

ahh well i am sure you will be fine wherever you end up. i was not one of UB's first choices either :p

For LAZ (& others): I know the feeling. I am in a similar situation. Just wanted to let you all know that I am actually waiting for SUNY Downstate. I was accepted @ UB but if I get the call from Downstate, I will accept so there should still be spots opening up until the very last minute. I know it stinks to have to wait for the last minute to move though. For example, I cant choose an apartment in Buffalo until class starts just in case Downstate calls, but the apartments are being taken so I'm afraid it might be slim pickings. Also, UB begins before Downstate, ugh!! :scared:
If I get the call from Downstate & accept, Iwill let you all know if the spot opens up. Good luck! :luck:

Rpre19 said:
For LAZ (& others): I know the feeling. I am in a similar situation. Just wanted to let you all know that I am actually waiting for SUNY Downstate. I was accepted @ UB but if I get the call from Downstate, I will accept so there should still be spots opening up until the very last minute. I know it stinks to have to wait for the last minute to move though. For example, I cant choose an apartment in Buffalo until class starts just in case Downstate calls, but the apartments are being taken so I'm afraid it might be slim pickings. Also, UB begins before Downstate, ugh!! :scared:
If I get the call from Downstate & accept, Iwill let you all know if the spot opens up. Good luck! :luck:

I'm in the same situation!! THe buffalo apts are going fast if you are looking for a 1bdrm. I just put down a $700 deposit today on a nice place. All the places that were cheaper were gone ( or kinda scary).

callalily said:
I'm in the same situation!! THe buffalo apts are going fast if you are looking for a 1bdrm. I just put down a $700 deposit today on a nice place. All the places that were cheaper were gone ( or kinda scary).

Yeah, I dont know what I'm going to do. I dont wanna get stuck in the whole broken lease thing--how did you manage to not be responsible for the year if you decide not to take it (if you dont mind me asking)--Did you just ask the landlord? Did you register for class yet? I read on another thread something about if you are enrolled in a school that you are obligated to withdraw your app from all other schools. I think that is on the AAMCAS website--& that being enrolled means students who are registered for class. But, let me tell you, I have been waiting like a dog for Downstate & I cant see withdrawing my app from there. I thought it was ok to wait till like the week before school starts, otherwise, how would all these WL's move, right?
Dont mean to veer too far from the original thread, but...

Maybe if you guys get off the waitlist at downstate, you could find a subleasor. A person, like me (hopefully), that gets off the buffalo waitlist at the last minute:)

Laz said:
Maybe if you guys get off the waitlist at downstate, you could find a subleasor. A person, like me (hopefully), that gets off the buffalo waitlist at the last minute:)

Yeah, I was trying to avoid that it possible, but if it comes down to it, that is an option. I'll definitely post here if something comes up! Good Luck--WL's are the worst!

Rpre19 said:
Yeah, I was trying to avoid that it possible, but if it comes down to it, that is an option. I'll definitely post here if something comes up! Good Luck--WL's are the worst!
Just an FYI, better check the leasing options before you sublease. Some contracts do not allow you to sublease the unit. Has to do with liability and what not.

Best of luck to all of you! :luck: :thumbup:

Good luck to those of you still waiting! I'm hoping all of you get in who are still hoping for that spot!
:luck: :luck: :luck:

My boyfriend of 5 yrs will be applying for 05 admissions, and I am praying he will get into UB as I am currently in PA school in Buffalo!

Do any of you mind sharing stats?
Whether your accepted or waitlisted still!

The way that they accept people is completely random. Some people I know had great grades and poor MCAT scores and got in right away, but others with high grades AND HIGH MCAT scores were waitlisted. There is a point in the interview cycle when you have the best shot (right smack in the middle... November/December). This is because they have completed a lot of interviews and have already determined the quality of the applicants. It's easier to impress the ADCOM with so-so stats at this point. If you are a decent candidate, but are interviewed right away (September), the ADCOM has no idea what other applicants can bring to the table later, so you get waitlisted because they still need to feel out the applicant pool. If your BF gets an ealy interview I would highly highly recommend pushing it back to Oct/Nov if possible.

My stats were 3.82 GPA and a 34 MCAT. I interviewed September 10th and was accepted October 15th.

... and then another person got waitlisted with the same stats.

bufer1
"After 4 interviews, 2 of which the interviewers effectively guarenteed me admission, I have been waitlisted at three schools: Michigan, SUNY-Syracuse, and Buffalo. I absolutely do not understand why this is happening. I understand that there is a tremendous amount of qualified candidates applying to these schools, but it just doesnt justify why I can't get in: 36P MCAT, 3.72gpa from cornell, emt, volunteer work, great recommendations from faculty and research mentor, and what I thought were good interviews. any thoughts or suggestions? im going a little crazy here"

Then there's a guy I went to school with who got in with about a 3.8 and a 27 on his MCAT. Like I said... totally random.

It seems to me like UB puts a lot of emphasis on the interview. I got in early assurance, so I don't have to take the MCAT, but I had a 3.8 GPA and an SAT score in the 1300s (if there are any sophomores-to-be who don't quite have that 1400 they say they want, go for it anyway). I was there at the end of March, whoch was their, last interview date for regular candidates. When you go to interview they tell you the story of the guy with a 4.0 and 35+ MCAT who didn't get in because they interviewed him and he said he didn't like people. They also interview a lot of people who wouldn't get a second look at other schools. So, while numbers matter, I think who gets in and who gets put where on the wait list is not random per se, but based on the impression they got during the interview process. Good luck, everyone! Hopefully, I'll see you in 2006!

Maybe, but when an interviewer says "NICE STAR INTERVIEW" one tends to think the interview went well.

Hmm, interesting about when you interview making a difference, makes sense!
He's an Cornell undergrad with a 3.65 plenty of EC's and he is taking the August MCAT which will probably not help since Buffalo is rolling :scared:

I will have to help him polish up on his interview skills, he is predominantly a shy person.

It's interesting that people with such great stats apply to a state school, is it location (close to home i don't know anyone who would move to buffalo for the nice weather *cough*) or a safety? I have heard buffalo is the best of suny's though.

EMDream said:
Hmm, interesting about when you interview making a difference, makes sense!
He's an Cornell undergrad with a 3.65 plenty of EC's and he is taking the August MCAT which will probably not help since Buffalo is rolling :scared:

I will have to help him polish up on his interview skills, he is predominantly a shy person.

It's interesting that people with such great stats apply to a state school, is it location (close to home i don't know anyone who would move to buffalo for the nice weather *cough*) or a safety? I have heard buffalo is the best of suny's though.

buffalo is a good school, but i personally prefer stony brook by far. also, for some reason... it is more difficult for people from the buffalo area to be accepted in general since they want uhh, a more "diverse" class and a lot of people who apply there ARE from the area --- inside info ;)

IceKid said:
buffalo is a good school, but i personally prefer stony brook by far. also, for some reason... it is more difficult for people from the buffalo area to be accepted in general since they want uhh, a more "diverse" class and a lot of people who apply there ARE from the area --- inside info ;)
Ah good to know! He's from a tiny small hick town in between ithaca and binghamton. Perhaps that's a good thing then :)

I heard that they tend to waitlist people from Buffalo, knowing that they'll come at the drop of a hat. This happened to my cousin, and she got the call a few days before classes started.

PS - I'm from Buffalo.

SwineLake98 said:
I heard that they tend to waitlist people from Buffalo, knowing that they'll come at the drop of a hat. This happened to my cousin, and she got the call a few days before classes started.

PS - I'm from Buffalo.

from my experience (my own application and that of my friends), this is definitely the case...

I stopped by the admissions office today and Mr. Rosso told me that there has been NO TURNOVER in the past week. He said that there have been many years where they suddenly get an explosion of movement close to the start of class. So, he said not to count myself out of the game yet. I still have hope, but I don't have a great feeling about it. I'm beginning to look for apartments in Syracuse. :(

hmno82 said:
I stopped by the admissions office today and Mr. Rosso told me that there has been NO TURNOVER in the past week. He said that there have been many years where they suddenly get an explosion of movement close to the start of class. So, he said not to count myself out of the game yet. I still have hope, but I don't have a great feeling about it. I'm beginning to look for apartments in Syracuse. :(

Sorry for my prying into this thread. I couldn't help but be interested in the drama that is developing.

---> hmno82:

-Did Mr. Rosso happen to tell you what # you were on the waitlist?

I respect your decision if you don't want to say. Anyways, best of luck to everyone in their waitlisted endevors! :thumbup: :luck:

No, he told me that he couldn't because of policy. However, I saw him take my folder from a filing cabinet of folders labeled "alternates." There were approximately 10-15 folders ahead of mine. SO, that means that all those people have to decline before they get to me, or a ton of spots need to open up. I could be wrong in assuming my position (I have been many times before). Anyway, it's going to be REALLY close either way. It will totally suck if I don't get in knowing that I was so close. UGH!

hmno82 said:
No, he told me that he couldn't because of policy. However, I saw him take my folder from a filing cabinet of folders labeled "alternates." There were approximately 10-15 folders ahead of mine. SO, that means that all those people have to decline before they get to me, or a ton of spots need to open up. I could be wrong in assuming my position (I have been many times before). Anyway, it's going to be REALLY close either way. It will totally suck if I don't get in knowing that I was so close. UGH!

well, i really hope it happens for you. i know how badly you want to be in buffalo! :luck: fingers crossed..

I got the call yesterday morning at 8:45! I was half asleep when I heard the blare of my cell phone. I picked my phone up and looked at the number on caller ID. The first 3 digits were 829... I thought to myself (since I've called a million times) "hey that's UB's number." I picked up the phone and it was Mr Rosso asking for me! He said "I'd like to offer you admission to our class this year." I jumped out of bed and almost started crying!

I would have posted as soon as a heard, but my boyfriend reads SDN, and I wanted to tell him in person. I needed to see the look on his face because this was such an important day to us. He just bought a house, so we'll be moving in November. All is well now! I'll see you all in a couple weeks! WOOHOO!
:D :thumbup: :D :thumbup: :D :D :D

thats awesome! congratulations!!

hmno82 said:
I got the call yesterday morning at 8:45! I was half asleep when I heard the blare of my cell phone. I picked my phone up and looked at the number on caller ID. The first 3 digets were 829... I thought to myself (since I've called a million times) "hey that's UB's number." I picked up the phone and it was Mr Rosso asking for me! He said "I'd like to offer you admission to our class this year." I jumped out of bed and almost started crying!

I would have posted as soon as a heard, but my boyfriend reads SDN, and I wanted to tell him in person. I needed to see the look on his face because this was such an important day to us. He just bought a house, so we'll be moving in November. All is well now! I'll see you all in a couple weeks! WOOHOO!
:D :thumbup: :D :thumbup: :D :D :D

hmno82!!!!! you've been waiting for so long!!!! congratulations on your acceptance!!!! yay!!!!

:hardy: :clap:

Whoo Hooo!! Im so happy for you! Congratulations :)

HMNO...
I have been rooting for you all summer..
I was waitlisted at Downstate which was my # 1 choice and I still come back and read the Buffalo thread just to see if you'll finally get in ( I never even applied there)
I wish you the best of luck and I hope your 4 years in Buffalo are great!!!!
Congrats again...

like everyone else has said- congrats hmno!!

Congrats, congrats, congrats! See you Soon!!!
~H

CONGRATS hmno!!!!

Just thought I'd let you guys know...the Buffalo waitlist is still moving.

i just got accepted today. and just a suggestion....i sent ub tons of letters saying that they were my top choice and what not. also said what i could offer them. and i'm not sure about this one, but i was told at various times that i was on various parts of the waitlist. once i started sending more letters, it seemed that i moved up their list. i'm not exactly sure if that was my imagination or not, but from the last time i spoke to mr rosso, he said i was in the middle of the bottom third, and now i'm suddenly accepted and writing extremely long run on sentences.

that's it. just thought i'd pass the word along, and good luck to all of you who are still waiting!

Congratulations Astro!

Are you from Buffalo?

Thank you laz!!!

and i'm not from buffalo....i'm just from one of those places somewhat close to buffalo so that when people ask where i'm from...i say buffalo

cowtown usa!