About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Buffer?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by GomerPyle, Sep 8, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. GomerPyle

GomerPyle Gold Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    This is probably a stupid question. Stems from AAMC 5 number 15: The pka for the dissociation of H2PO4 to HPO4 is 6.7. What is the initial ratio of [HPO4]/[H2PO4] in the buffer solution of experiment 1? (experiment 1 states the solution was buffered at PH 8.7)

I thought in a buffer, the acid and conj. base concentrations are equal, but in the answer solution, the henderson hasselbach equation is used to calculate the ratio (which I thought would have been 1 in a buffer). What am I not understanding in this concept? Thanks.
  2. nashaiy

nashaiy

The best buffer solution is one in which the ratio of the conjugate base to the acid is 1:1. In that case, the pH = pKa since log([A-]/[HA]) = 0. This is the exact middle point of the flat region on the titration curve and corresponds to the half-equivalence point. However, a buffer solution can be any combination of acid to conjugate base usually up to a ten fold increase in one over the other. This means that the pH of a buffer solution is equal to the pKa +/- 1 pH point (typically but not necessarily). To clarify, a buffer solution can exist even if the acid's concentration is greater the conjugate base concentration or vice versa. This represents the range you see on the flat portion of a titration curve. Usually, past a 10 fold increase of either concentration, you get a sharp increase in pH which means the solution is no longer a buffer.

In the example you presented, the pH is given to be 2 points above the pKa of the acid. Thus, the conjugate base concentration is 100x the acid concentration. Is that the correct answer?
  3. chemtopper

chemtopper online orgo/genchem tutor

Academic Administration
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Buffers are different capacities and a good buffer is the one in which pH ~pKa
  4. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer Exhibitor

SDN Exhibitor SDN 5+ Year Member
    Great explanation nashaiy!