Building someone else's COVID lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diana Prince

"Just the facts, ma'am"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A business man approached me about building his molecular COVID 19 lab from scratch. I do have a lot of experience with COVID lab testing because of the lab directorships that I currently have. How much would I charge for this service? Thanks, guys

Members don't see this ad.

Would you be acting as their medical director? I would say a consulting fee of $100K plus a cut of every test they run. Honestly, it depends on how much you value your intellectual property and time. You're the one who is going to be providing the SOPs and offering to do validations, etc. It's a lot of work. How much volume do they anticipate? If they are going to be running thousands of tests per month, I would think $100K is a drop in the bucket.

I can't be the lab director because I do not have a medical license in that state. He still wants me to build it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You tell him that him that if “you build it” you must be the medical director. So, he may need to alter his time table to accommodate your licensure. You are not some former lab supervisor who now goes around setting up in office labs for docs. You are a physician/pathologist.

If you let yourself be a door mat you will get stepped on.
And he can pay for your license and any travel to whatever state this is as well as your initial consulting fees and your director fee. If he does not want you as director for what you intend to charge, don’t do it.

Reactions: 1 user
You tell him that him that if “you build it” you must be the medical director. So, he may need to alter his time table to accommodate your licensure. You are not some former lab supervisor who now goes around setting up in office labs for docs. You are a physician/pathologist.

If you let yourself be a door mat you will get stepped on.
And he can pay for your license and any travel to whatever state this is as well as your initial consulting fees and your director fee. If he does not want you as director for what you intend to charge, don’t do it.

Agree stand your ground. Know your worth and don’t get taken advantage of by these snake oil salesmen. Some people sure will if they think you are naive and are ripe to be taken advantage of. Best of luck.