BU's APEX Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamison321

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who goes to BU and has done the APEX program has an opinion on it? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

No first hand opinion on it, but I've spoke to BU students. Their take:
1. "it's a joke."
2. "you get paid near minimum wage to stand around in a dental office."
3. "it's called an externship, but it's nothing like one."
4. "can be good if you get the right dentist to take you in."

I haven't done apex yet but I worked as a dental assistant for 8 weeks before coming to dental school (which I guess is pretty similar to apex) - I thought it was a valuable experience because you learn how to prepare all the materials needed for root canals, impressions, operative, and extractions.

I think you basically can make or break your own experience. You can get your hands in there and proactively offer the dentist to do things for him/her, or you can sit around and wait until the dentist asks you for help. Be observant about the patient's needs because some dentists get so into their work they forget there is spit goin all over the patients face or if they have some cement on their lips. In my opinon, your APEX really depends on your own demeanor and attitude.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cellohead said:
I haven't done apex yet but I worked as a dental assistant for 8 weeks before coming to dental school (which I guess is pretty similar to apex) - I thought it was a valuable experience because you learn how to prepare all the materials needed for root canals, impressions, operative, and extractions.

I think you basically can make or break your own experience. You can get your hands in there and proactively offer the dentist to do things for him/her, or you can sit around and wait until the dentist asks you for help. Be observant about the patient's needs because some dentists get so into their work they forget there is spit goin all over the patients face or if they have some cement on their lips. In my opinon, your APEX really depends on your own demeanor and attitude.

How did you find that dental assisting position?

FUTDR said:
How did you find that dental assisting position?

The dentist I worked for was one of my mom's store customers - I shadowed him during the winter break while studyin for the DATs and he offered to let me assist during the summer. If you can find a place to assist before goin in to school I recommend it because you learn how to write charts, mix stuff in the 'green bowls' and mix up the cement, etc. The sooner you learn all these little things, it puts you that much ahead of the pack.

Cellohead said:
The dentist I worked for was one of my mom's store customers - I shadowed him during the winter break while studyin for the DATs and he offered to let me assist during the summer. If you can find a place to assist before goin in to school I recommend it because you learn how to write charts, mix stuff in the 'green bowls' and mix up the cement, etc. The sooner you learn all these little things, it puts you that much ahead of the pack.

Before going to dental school my daughter was a sterilization assistant during her senior year in high school and worked as a dental assistant throughout her undergrad college years. After her first week in dental school, she exhuastingly remarked "we have just covered everything about dentistry that I had learned while working as a dental assistant". However, she did find that her previously acquired compentency to quickly prep and place rubber dams on real people was of great benefit when she started clinics. ;)

Well, I go to BU, and I have done both Apex I and II.

First Apex was good because I have never assisted before, nor have I spent much time in a dental office enough to learn, so I thought my first Apex made sense, but it was too long, it was 10 weeks long and by 5th week I was done and ready to get out of there.

The second Apex was so unesscessary, a waste of time because I have to assist or just observe and another 10 weeks is just too long.

By the way, they no longer pay students while students work on Apex. Ask any current DMD II students and they can give you a long, controversial story with all the hoopla between the administration and the student body. The final result is no pay and lots of meetings and petitions and that's it. Worse part was that current DMD II students started the year thinking we were getting paid, but by the time Apex rolled around, we were informed of no pay.

Apex seems ideal, but in reality, unfortunately it doesn't work out as well as they claim.

Dental2007 said:
Well, I go to BU, and I have done both Apex I and II.

First Apex was good because I have never assisted before, nor have I spent much time in a dental office enough to learn, so I thought my first Apex made sense, but it was too long, it was 10 weeks long and by 5th week I was done and ready to get out of there.

The second Apex was so unesscessary, a waste of time because I have to assist or just observe and another 10 weeks is just too long.

By the way, they no longer pay students while students work on Apex. Ask any current DMD II students and they can give you a long, controversial story with all the hoopla between the administration and the student body. The final result is no pay and lots of meetings and petitions and that's it. Worse part was that current DMD II students started the year thinking we were getting paid, but by the time Apex rolled around, we were informed of no pay.

Apex seems ideal, but in reality, unfortunately it doesn't work out as well as they claim.

Thank you for your help. I was wondering is the closest T-stop to BU a distance that can be walked? If not how is the bus service in Boston? Packed, etc.