Buying a Home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dddsmack

my baby and I
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too much to say that with good credit history and a small to no down payment, entering students can afford to buy a home ($100,000-150,000) based on the D-school housing allocation in the budget?

How many of you guys were able to do this? What was the process like for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it too much to say that with good credit history and a small to no down payment, entering students can afford to buy a home ($100,000-150,000) based on the D-school housing allocation in the budget?

How many of you guys were able to do this? What was the process like for you?

If you have a good credit history you can buy a home. I did that while taking prereqs after I quit my job. I got a loan that was a no document loan. I documented my savings, but did not need to document my income. The interest rate is slightly higher, but not that bad. Also, I would suggest that if you are not putting 20% down, that you look into an 80, 15, 5 loan. Finance 80% with a second loan of 15% and 5% down (or even less just adjust the second loan percent). This keeps you from wasting money paying mortgage insurance.

Because real estate in Buffalo is SUPER cheap (newly redone 3-bedrooms in nice areas for 150K), a few of my classmates decided to buy, and seem to be handling it well.

However, I think all of them who have plan on selling right when they graduate......though Buffalo is picking up, it doesn't seem too likely that it will shoot up enough to make a seller's market by that time. So just be careful about what you plan to sell in a few years.

If you plan on staying in the area and it ends up being cheaper than renting (or you have great credit), then go for it!