Buying MCAT Study Notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

automan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this?

I just found a website www.mcatnotes.com and I am wondering if anyone has used these?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, notes are usually worthless unless you made them for yourself.

Also, I remember this guy's notes on Ebay and I've seen a sample of his "high yield" notes - it was taken verbatim from a EK Audio Osmosis track.

Honestly, notes are usually worthless unless you made them for yourself.

Also, I remember this guy's notes on Ebay and I've seen a sample of his "high yield" notes - it was taken verbatim from a EK Audio Osmosis track.

Jokes and all? =\

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate notes. I never read the ones I take in class, and it is way too time consuming to take them while you read. =\

I checked ebay, and they are for sale there too, although they are $10 more if you get them on ebay. I wonder why.

I haven't heard of anyone using them, but even if they are notes from examkrackers, it might be nice to have. The feedback on ebay is actually very positive so I think I might do it, it is pretty cheap when you consider what I have spent on everything else.

so anyone have this that wants to share?

I did a whois search on his domain and it was recently purchased

I don't they they have been around that long, so I think you will have a hard time trying to find someone who has them.

If you find someone, let me know what they think.

Just wanted to share my wisdom - I totally understand the pre-mcat concerns but trust me, do not waste money and time buying too many materials and resources.

All you need are a solid set of review books, practice questions, and MOST importantly, official AAMC practice MCATs.

Trust me, I wasted my money on extra materials that I never ended up using b/c seriously, there's no time to study and use it all, and you do not need all that time either.

To be honest, I didn't find the AAMC practice tests to be useful for me. The early tests were too easy and the later ones had a lot of strange questions that didn't seem typical to me. I had more success with TPR and some Kaplan tests, as well as the great Berkeley Review practice tests, which were pretty difficult (especially the later ones) but the bio section ended up being very similar to the actual MCAT, with the EKG/cardio passage almost identical, and verbal fairly close. PS, was another story altogether.

To be honest, I didn't find the AAMC practice tests to be useful for me. The early tests were too easy and the later ones had a lot of strange questions that didn't seem typical to me. I had more success with TPR and some Kaplan tests, as well as the great Berkeley Review practice tests, which were pretty difficult (especially the later ones) but the bio section ended up being very similar to the actual MCAT, with the EKG/cardio passage almost identical, and verbal fairly close. PS, was another story altogether.

I looked at your post... you only took AAMC 1-4... Of those, 1 and 2 are not at ALL representative of the real MCAT.. that's why they've been discontinued for many years. AAMC 3 is not representative either, that's why its free. Many argue that AAMC 4 is the hardest of the valid tests.. which is probably why you found it strange.

Seriously though, the later AAMC tests (5-9) are the best predictors of what the real MCAT will be like... because the passages came from old REAL MCATs. Simple as that.

Drizzt: you very well could have gotten 40+ if you had actually done the later AAMC practices, imo.

I looked at your post... you only took AAMC 1-4... Of those, 1 and 2 are not at ALL representative of the real MCAT.. that's why they've been discontinued for many years. AAMC 3 is not representative either, that's why its free. Many argue that AAMC 4 is the hardest of the valid tests.. which is probably why you found it strange.

Seriously though, the later AAMC tests (5-9) are the best predictors of what the real MCAT will be like... because the passages came from old REAL MCATs. Simple as that.

Drizzt: you very well could have gotten 40+ if you had actually done the later AAMC practices, imo.

That could potentially be true, but I don't think anyone I've talked to (including many people from my review course who were really focused on the later AAMCs) expected the PS section to have all physics passages (9/11 were physics on my test IIRC). I think I could have done better on the MCAT in general if the questions had been in the functional areas that I was strongest in (physio/ochem/gchem) rather than molecular genetics/physics but that's the way it goes, I suppose, and I'm not complaining in any case.

Well, I decided that spending $40 really wasn't going to break the bank, and I was curious, so I bought the notes from www.mcatnotes.com

I was pleasently suprised as the notes are actually very good. They follow EK pretty closely, but they also contain stuff that looks similar to TPR.

The author does a pretty good job, even if the hand writing is a little messy in some spots. It's nice to have them in color and even though they didn't look that great on my computer, they printed off very well.

As a free bonus, AAMC exams 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, and 7R are included for FREE. (I knew this beforehand, that is why I bought the notes)

Bottom line, if you think a short summery of the EK books would help you, then I would advise getting the notes. (I can't even understand most of it right now because my background is weak, but I can see how these would help in the month before the test)

Sorry if this sounds like an informercial, but I just wanted to let everyone know these are an OK thing if they are looking for some extra material and the practice tests are a really good deal.

Could anyone that bought these notes please email me? I have a few questions for them.

Well, I decided that spending $40 really wasn't going to break the bank, and I was curious, so I bought the notes from www.mcatnotes.com

I was pleasently suprised as the notes are actually very good. They follow EK pretty closely, but they also contain stuff that looks similar to TPR.

The author does a pretty good job, even if the hand writing is a little messy in some spots. It's nice to have them in color and even though they didn't look that great on my computer, they printed off very well.

As a free bonus, AAMC exams 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, and 7R are included for FREE. (I knew this beforehand, that is why I bought the notes)

Bottom line, if you think a short summery of the EK books would help you, then I would advise getting the notes. (I can't even understand most of it right now because my background is weak, but I can see how these would help in the month before the test)

Sorry if this sounds like an informercial, but I just wanted to let everyone know these are an OK thing if they are looking for some extra material and the practice tests are a really good deal.

I'm sure that the AAMC signed a contract with mcatnotes to allow this.