C- in Organic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PigCowSheep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's me. Rocking As and Bs everywhere else. Then BAM! C- in lecture (3 cred) and C in lab (2 cred) for OChem. Really didn't see the C- coming. I was expecting a C. Here's my question. I feel like at some point I read somewhere on some vet school's website (I thought it was Iowa State, but now can't find it) that you had to pass each required course with a C or better, that a C- wouldn't cut it. Now what do i do?

I can't remember where I saw that or if I dreamed it. Basically, I need to know if I should retake the course. My overall GPA is still 3.35 and I've still got three semesters plus a summer biochem course to go. My science GPA is the same, 3.35. So, should I retake first semester Ochem next year, or should I bust ass on there rest of my stuff to bring up the GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah unfortunately I got a C- in Orgo II. From what I understand, I need to re-take the course. Of course, since it's been at least 8 years since I had organic chemistry I will have to re-take both. Many schools that I've seen accept C- or higher, but some accept only C and higher. Since I my first choice so far is Tufts and they are in the C and higher category, I will be re-taking my orgo courses this summer. Then my grades this time around will be averaged with my original grades. This depends on the school you're applying to as well but seems to be (in my observation) the most common situation.
Sorry. I don't think a C- will cut it if the school says C and higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry. I don't think a C- will cut it if the school says C and higher.

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring. I was mostly wondering about Iowa State, as that's where I thought I saw it and that's my first choice school. I think I'll probably bust ass this semester in hopes of doing better in second semester, and I'll also likely retake it anyway, just so I have more options. :-/

I would retake the class (if at all possible) since it will allow you to apply to many more schools when the time comes. Otherwise, you're limiting your choices to only a few schools that allow a C- in a pre-req.

Also, I'm sorry to say but 2nd semester OChem does NOT get any easier AND it builds upon itself. If you got a C- then there are probably some concepts that you didn't fully understand; again, I'd say take it again and rock it!:)

Don't worry about having to take it over...I know I had to. :oops:

Okay, one more question. Would it be more worthwhile to take Organic I again, or should I consider taking Advanced Organic? Chem really isn't my strong suit, unfortunately, but I have a lighter class load this semester so I can focus on Organic II to do well. I ask about the advanced because I know sometimes it looks better to have an advanced course in the subject instead of a retake. Is that true? Or would it even work since I got below what's required the first time around?

Okay, one more question. Would it be more worthwhile to take Organic I again, or should I consider taking Advanced Organic? Chem really isn't my strong suit, unfortunately, but I have a lighter class load this semester so I can focus on Organic II to do well. I ask about the advanced because I know sometimes it looks better to have an advanced course in the subject instead of a retake. Is that true? Or would it even work since I got below what's required the first time around?

I guess the question here would be whether you really feel that you can do better in Advanced than you did in regular orgo. It seems that some schools would prefer that you take a more advanced course and do good in it. But if you risk it and do mediocre, then it probably wasn't worth the effort. Of course if you really feel that you can rock it, then by all means go for it. Although i think right now its more important for you to retake orgo 2 first, since a C in orgo 1 is acceptable.

I'll be retaking orgo 2 this coming semester too. Last time I screwed up bad and took an NC for the course. Gonna try much harder this time! A prof told me that "its always better the second time around" ;)

Although i think right now its more important for you to retake orgo 2 first, since a C in orgo 1 is acceptable.

The way I understood the OP, she got a C- in OChem 1.

Yup, got a C- in orgo1, taking orgo2 for the first time around right now. How this semester goes for me will likely determine whether I retake orgo1 or take advanced.

Is there any way for you to take OChem 1 again before OChem 2? Again, due to the way the material builds upon itself, it may be more helpful for you to retake the first class before moving on to the second. Just my 2 cents.

Either way, good luck! :luck:

Yeah, that would be ideal, but unfortunately the only way to do that would set me back by more than a year. Orgo1 is only offered in the fall, Orgo2 in the spring, no second chances right away. I can't move on with my pre-reqs till all the orgo is done cause biochem and nutritional biochem require orgo first...

Personally, since I just missed a C by fractions of a point, I think I have a decent enough grasp on the material to move on and do well in Orgo2 now and then, I will have an even better understanding when I come back to do Orgo1 again. At least, thats the optimist's plan haha.

sorry, I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly- but I don't think it makes any sense to move on with orgo II and then go and retake orgo I. Even if you did end up doing better in orgo I, I don't think it gives merit to your ability if you take it again after you've already completed the 2nd half of the course. It's sort of like getting a C- in calc I, but then going on with calc II and getting a B or A and then retaking calc I. Of course you would do better because you would have already succeeded at the higher level. Like someone else said, they're consecutive classes (2nd half builds on the first), and for good reason. I would definitely wait and take orgo I again first, unless you're okay with the C- and whatever school you like will take it.

Okay, one more question. Would it be more worthwhile to take Organic I again, or should I consider taking Advanced Organic?

I almost always find advanced course work EASIER than the general classes.

I got a C in OII, took Adv. O, busted my ass, and got an A.

Similar situation with immunology (B, then an A)

The adv. classes tend to be more focused (instead of mechanisms 1 week, structures the next, then stereo...). They also tend to be smaller, more intimate, and more professional (many schools treat Ochem as a weed out class, and kill you with 'busy work', whereas Adv. they focus less of brute memorization, and more on conceptual idea's (good for some people, bad for others)

Check the syllabus of the adv. course. Is it a topic you were more comfortable with?

Also, MOST of the time, Adv. courses do have a lot of overlap with the general classes, so there is a lot of review.

Im sure if you got an A in Adv. chem, you could explain you C away nicely on your app when you do apply.

EDIT: O-Chem II was totally different then O-chem I (for me). Probably didn't even need it to do will in II. I took Biochem II before Biochem I, didn't have a problem, but check the syllabus to make sure. Professors are usually not the best people to ask about the adv. classes, and they usually have no problem telling you "Its not a good idea" so they can keep their classes small, so I'd talk to some students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that where I went to undergrad, if you took a class that was a pre-req for another class (Org 1) and then tried to take the next class in the sequence (Org 2), you were ineligible to repeat the pre-req class (Org 1). Make sure that isn't the case at your school before you plan on this.

It's better to get a little behind than to totally screw yourself up GPA wise. I tried to take Microbiology last year without having taken Organic. Luckily my advisor sat me down and said to me, "It doesn't make any sense for you to rush through this class only to get a C. Wait til you've taken the pre-reqs, and then get an A." I'd say that was pretty good advice. Yes, I had to add another post-bacc class, but my grade was much higher than it would have been.

PigCowSheep, do you have to complete an independent synthesis project for lab this semester in OII? I was just wondering. I had to at my undergrad, and since I was unable to get my intermediate and my product(My school didn't have the correct aparatus to get my solution up to 500 degrees and all of my solution evaporated when I sent it through a reaction chamber), my grade suffered a bit. So, if you have to, I would suggest doing something a little easy (not to easy) and being sure you get your product. If you can't get your product, even if it is a complicated reaction, your grade will come down.

sorry, I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly- but I don't think it makes any sense to move on with orgo II and then go and retake orgo I. Even if you did end up doing better in orgo I, I don't think it gives merit to your ability if you take it again after you've already completed the 2nd half of the course. It's sort of like getting a C- in calc I, but then going on with calc II and getting a B or A and then retaking calc I. Of course you would do better because you would have already succeeded at the higher level. Like someone else said, they're consecutive classes (2nd half builds on the first), and for good reason. I would definitely wait and take orgo I again first, unless you're okay with the C- and whatever school you like will take it.

I think that you can explain that on the application. That the OP had to wait until the next year to retake orgo 1 and would have been set back a lot if they didnt take orgo 2 right away. Or something to that effect. It seems understandable, since pre-vets have to pack so many different classes in. And not all universities offer the same classes every semester.

To answer a few of the questions. I passed the course as far as the university is concerned, and my GPA is "making progress towards graduation" so they don't have any problem letting me move on to Orgo2. I don't either. The only thing is that vet schools won't take the C-. It would literally set me back by more than a year to skip Orgo2 for now, and wait till next fall to take Orgo1 again, then followed by Orgo2 for the first time. If I finish the series now, in good standing as far as UNH is concerned, then I can take the classes next year that have Orgo as a prereq while retaking Orgo1 to improve that grade. Or take Adv. Orgo in its place.

I don't really know what to do because the only people I know that were taking Orgo1 for the second time this past semester were the ones who failed first semester last year, didn't take Orgo2, and came back for a second round of Orgo1 without lab.

My school only offers Orgo1 in the fall and Orgo2 in the spring. There's also a one semester orgo class offered every semester and advanced orgo offered some semesters.

Ugghhhh soooooo frustrated I don't know what to do. I can't afford an extra year of undergrad work.

Oh and to BR549, no, we don't have to do an individual project. All the labs are structured.

The only thing is that vet schools won't take the C-. It would literally set me back by more than a year to skip Orgo2 for now, and wait till next fall to take Orgo1 again, then followed by Orgo2 for the first time.

If I finish the series now, in good standing as far as UNH is concerned, then I can take the classes next year that have Orgo as a prereq while retaking Orgo1 to improve that grade. Or take Adv. Orgo in its place.

If the schools you are going to apply to won't take a C-, then don't you have to retake it? Showing you can do the advanced organic is all well and good, but Organic I is a prereq, and not one that there's a lot of wiggle room in...

As long as you'd be able to take it next fall, go ahead and take Orgo II in the spring. Be warned, though - everyone I've talked to had a very different experience in the two. It seems most universities have Orgo I as the groundwork and Orgo II as the application of said groundwork, so if you dont' have a solid understanding it's going to be tough. Then again, if you're more concept-oriented, it's less actual new material, so that might not actually be a bad thing.

If you can, I'd take Orgo II in the spring and nail it, and then retake Orgo I so you don't mess up your timeline. But if you think your GPA is going to suffer by doing that, TAKE THE EXTRA TIME and restart next year.

I'd move forward with Orgo II this semester, then do some inquiries of the schools you'll be applying to and see if they prefer you to retake Orgo I or an advanced Chem. I would probably retake Orgo I, just to show I was able to "master" it. That way you have all your pre-reqs done by the time you apply.

I know how frustrating sorting out your schedule can be!! You'll get through it! Good luck!

If the schools you are going to apply to won't take a C-, then don't you have to retake it? Showing you can do the advanced organic is all well and good, but Organic I is a prereq, and not one that there's a lot of wiggle room in...

That was my biggest question! Thanks! I think I'm going to move on with Orgo2 so can I stay on track. I'm only taking two real "classes" orgo2 and anat&phys. On top of that I have my riding lessons (for credit!) and research. Then I'll retake orgo1 next fall and maybe do the advanced in the spring, just to show I've mastered the subject?

I think thats a great plan of attack, PigCowSheep!

FYI, Tufts does not require a C or better in its prereq courses. I think somebody mentioned this earlier in the thread and thought they required a C or better, but this is untrue.

Just my two cents, I definitely recall that one (or maybe more) school does require a "C" or better. I was in the same boat and I retook both semesters and got As. Even though it didn't boost my GPA, I feel better about my app! Kick butt and good luck!

If I was in your shoes, I would re-do Organic Chem I again and try to see what concepts of Orgo you struggled with. Try to find office hours with Chem Professors and anyone else that can tutor you (another student who finds the material easy). I easily got through both Organic I and II, although my Orgo I teacher could not teach if her life depended upon it. My Orgo II professor was the best who gave a supplement package with old tests he gave out that were exactly similar in design to the tests I took in my Fall 08 semester (no changes or tricks) plus a sheet of paper with notes!!