c3.46 s3.37 MCAT: 33 (14/10/9) School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdv234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.46 (BS Biochemistry; BA Neuroscience--California school)
sGPA: 3.37
gGPA: 3.42 (ScM in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology--Maryland school)
MCAT1 (09/2009): 29 (8/9/10)
MCAT2 (4/2011): 31 (10/10/11)
MCAT3 (4/2013): 33 (14/10/9)
ORM, MA resident

-2.5 years of Undergraduate Genetics Research (multiple projects; 4 awarded research grants; 1 poster presentation; no pub)
-4 years working part-time as an usher at my undergraduate performance venues
-1 semester Global Medical Brigades: Honduras
-1.5 years tutoring math and English to immigrant elementary school children
-various leadership roles in undergraduate honors societies
-120 hours combined volunteering at two LA county hospitals
-Study Abroad-London: Psychology based research thesis, 1 semester volunteering for non-profit
-180 hours of shadowing (anesthesiology, OB/GYN)
-15 months of Graduate ALS research (research based thesis; 1 poster presentation; no pub)
-80 hours volunteering in Clinical Research-Pediatric Oncology
-3 years volunteering as a mentor for an underserved high school student (leadership experience-head of a family of mentors)
-1 year working full-time as a scribe in underserved ER, urgent care, orthopedic surgeon (still working)

LORs: MD, 2 Research, Mentoring, 1 NonScience, 2 Science
AMCAS: submitted 6/20
AACOMAS: working on it

Originally from IL, but lost residency 3 years ago when parents moved to MA after my father lost his job. The three years makes me ineligible to apply to UMass. I have clearly been all over the place, but I would ideally like to stay around my family in the Northeast or Midwest (still have non-immediate family in the area). However, with my subpar stats, would be willing to go to any MD school in the country. I'm working on the DO app right now. I need help figuring out which schools to apply to. Any advice would be appreciated. So far..

Edit: *Reapplicant
MD (I want to add ~10-15 more to this list as they are really top-heavy and location based. I just don't know which schools to add to broaden my list.)
Albany*
Quinnipiac
UMKC
BU*
Warren Alpert*
Dartmouth*
NYU (DREAM school)*
Tufts*
VCU
UCincinnati
UIC*
GWU*
Loyola*
Keck*
Rosalind Franklin*
Rush*
Tulane*
UVermont*
Meharry

DO: (want a total of ~8)
UNE
Midwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is my second application. I applied very late the last time around (at the deadlines for most schools). Needless to say, I didn't get any interviews. I'm trying to be more realistic with my application this time around.

I do speak enough Spanish to get by, but having moved from LA to Baltimore for a few years, I am a bit rusty.

Before my time in Baltimore, I wasn't clear what sort of population I wanted to work with. Living, working, and mentoring in a predominantly African American community exposed me to a lot of the disparity that they face in regards to healthcare. A lot of the patients I saw were uneducated and dare I say, unmotivated to learn about their health. The mentoring I did served a particularly underperforming student in Baltimore's inner city. Through the program, we provided not only academic support, but financial and medical support to the kids we mentored. But yes, I have validation that I want to work with these populations.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my second application. I applied very late the last time around (at the deadlines for most schools). Needless to say, I didn't get any interviews. I'm trying to be more realistic with my application this time around.

I do speak enough Spanish to get by, but having moved from LA to Baltimore for a few years, I am a bit rusty.

Before my time in Baltimore, I wasn't clear what sort of population I wanted to work with. Living, working, and mentoring in a predominantly African American community exposed me to a lot of the disparity that they face in regards to healthcare. A lot of the patients I saw were uneducated and dare I say, unmotivated to learn about their health. The mentoring I did served a particularly underperforming student in Baltimore's inner city. Through the program, we provided not only academic support, but financial and medical support to the kids we mentored. But yes, I have validation that I want to work with these populations.
Could you indicate with an asterisk where you are a re-applicant?

I think you can cut several of your re-applications without hurting your chances, for example: BU, Brown, Dartmouth, NYU (leave it if you must) and USC. UMKC takes almost all their OOS from their bac/MD program. You need to add new OOS privates where the median MCAT is closer to 31 (e.g. Creighton)

Thanks for the advice gyngyn. I haven't applied to Creighton because they don't take CC for their requirements (physics). Any advice on how to choose which schools can broaden the pack besides Creighton? I'm just having a hard time narrowing down the picks. I was thinking of adding:

Drexel*
Oakland
EVMS
Cooper
Wake Forest
Central Michigan
VTech
Marshall
NYMC*
Wayne State
SLU
Commonwealth
Michigan State
Temple
MCW
Howard/Morehouse

Thanks for the advice gyngyn. I haven't applied to Creighton because they don't take CC for their requirements (physics). Any advice on how to choose which schools can broaden the pack besides Creighton? I'm just having a hard time narrowing down the picks. I was thinking of adding:

Drexel*
Oakland
EVMS
Cooper
Wake Forest
Central Michigan
VTech
Marshall
NYMC*
Wayne State
SLU
Commonwealth
Michigan State
Temple
MCW
Howard/Morehouse
Except for the HBCU's, these are excellent choices.

Thanks for your input! Fingers crossed.