C3.64, s3.5, mcat 7/25/13 & 8/9/13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaxos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated this past May from a private institution in FL with an overall gpa of 3.64 and a science of ~3.5.

Took the mcat on july 25th and rescheduled to take it again in 5 days. My range was anywhere from a 27-31. I am applying everywhere in florida and need some help/thoughts on my school list for OOS. Are the schools I picked a stretch? and are they OOS friendly overall?

ECs include:
~130 hours volunteering in hospital
shadowed two physicians at ~50 hours ea
worked in a lab for 1.5 years--no publications
peer mentor for the pre-health office
100 hours community service at my church working with kids
phi-de member

Here is my list for both MD and DO: (Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated)

FAU
FIU
UM
FSU
USF
UCF
UF
NOVA (DO)
LAKE ERIE BRADENTON (DO)

OOS:
MICHIGAN STATE (DO)
Rocky Vista (DO)
Des Moines (DO)
PCOM (DO)
Midwestern AZ/IL (DO)
GW
George Town
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Wake Forest
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth Univ
West Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
GPAs are fine for your list. Can't comment other than that without your MCAT scores. Why did you re-take so soon, without even knowing the 7/25 results?

I'd rule out WVa they prefer regional candidates, especially their own.

Graduated this past May from a private institution in FL with an overall gpa of 3.64 and a science of ~3.5.

Took the mcat on july 25th and rescheduled to take it again in 5 days. My range was anywhere from a 27-31. I am applying everywhere in florida and need some help/thoughts on my school list for OOS. Are the schools I picked a stretch? and are they OOS friendly overall?

ECs include:
~130 hours volunteering in hospital
shadowed two physicians at ~50 hours ea
worked in a lab for 1.5 years--no publications
peer mentor for the pre-health office
100 hours community service at my church working with kids
phi-de member

Here is my list for both MD and DO: (Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated)

FAU
FIU
UM
FSU
USF
UCF
UF
NOVA (DO)
LAKE ERIE BRADENTON (DO)

OOS:
MICHIGAN STATE (DO)
Rocky Vista (DO)
Des Moines (DO)
PCOM (DO)
Midwestern AZ/IL (DO)
GW
George Town
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Wake Forest
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
University of Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth Univ
West Virginia

Thanks for your help! I wanted to retake at least once, and this Friday was the latest possible in the state of Florida. Bad idea?

Any other thoughts? Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for your help! I wanted to retake at least once, and this Friday was the latest possible in the state of Florida. Bad idea?
Retaking tells the committee a lot. Mostly it's not good. Retaking a good score is arrogant (even if you add a point). Retaking a weak score and getting a statistically similar score shows poor judgement (bad self assessment or inadequate preparation). I think you know how a lower score will be interpreted.

Since you don't even know your score, the exact way in which this is going to be a bad idea is impossible to predict. At a minimum it's goofy.