C3 deficiency --> Type II hypersensitivity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catzzz88

Purrrrrr!?!11??
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(1) Can someone explain why C3 deficiency can lead to increased susceptibility to type III hypersensitivity reactions (p. 199 FA 2016)?
  • I get that C3 deficiency leads to lack of C3b, so less opsonization, so higher incidence of infection with encapsulated bacteria.
  • However, I am missing the link to hypersensitivity reactions, please help!
(2) Also, anyone know why C5-C9 deficiency increases risk of Neisseria, specifically? Like, why not other bacteria if you cant for the MAC complex?

Best,
C

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As far as Q1: "Opsonins—C3b and IgG are the two 1° opsonins in bacterial defense; enhance phagocytosis. C3b also helps clear immune complexes." from p. 199 in FA 2016. A type III hypersensitivity reaction involves the deposition of immune complexes so decreased IC clearance would make one more susceptible to a hypersensitivity reaction

Don't know the answer to #2, but my guess is that the immune response to Neisseria is particularly dependent on the MAC compared to other microbes. Sorta just memorizing that one though, since it's straightforward enough