MD CA, GPA 3.62/3.68, MCAT 32: Need feedback w/ list - submitting app tomorrow!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tofuuu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SUBMITTED! :soexcited:Thank you to everyone who took the time to give me some advice! Wish me luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would consider removing Brown since they prefer students from their own undergrad and a lot of their entering class is from their BS/MD program.

Reactions: 1 user
I would consider removing Brown since they prefer students from their own undergrad and a lot of their entering class is from their BS/MD program.
Oh, I did not know that. Where did you find that information?

One of the reasons why i'm applying to Brown is because it's one of highly ranked primary care schools that are more within my reach. Their MCAT average is only 1 point above mine, same story for their average GPA.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I did not know that. Where did you find that information?

According to the MSAR, last year there were 120 matriculants to Brown's med school. 45 of those 120 came from their BS/MD program. Take that as you will.

According to the MSAR, last year there were 120 matriculants to Brown's med school. 45 of those 120 came from their BS/MD program. Take that as you will.

Oh okay. Thank you! I guess i'll think about it then. Otherwise, do you think the rest of my list is okay? Can I afford to add Columbia or would I be dreaming too much. Haha

Oh okay. Thank you! I guess i'll think about it then. Otherwise, do you think the rest of my list is okay? Can I afford to add Columbia or would I be dreaming too much. Haha

You're within the 10th percentile GPA and MCAT for Columbia, so it's possible if you have a compelling story to tell.

You're within the 10th percentile GPA and MCAT for Columbia, so it's possible if you have a compelling story to tell.

Okay, thanks.

One last question (sorry that I keep bombarding you with questions), but was Brown the only school on my list that had a high preference for BS/MD?
I totally forgot to consider that factor when looking at each school's profile...so thank you for pointing it out earlier.

I'd cut UCSF, Stanford, Case, Brown (They take a lot of their own undergrads), and UCLA (Feel free to keep it if it's your top choice). BU/Georgetown get so many apps a year unless you have a compelling reason you REALLY want to go there your chances at an interview are slim.

I'd cut UCSF, Stanford, Case, Brown (They take a lot of their own undergrads), and UCLA (Feel free to keep it if it's your top choice). BU/Georgetown get so many apps a year unless you have a compelling reason you REALLY want to go there your chances at an interview are slim.

What do you think about substituting Brown with Duke?

UCSF is my second top choice, so that's why I have it on my list.
Case Western is known to admit a high number of students from my university & I personally really like this school.
My sister goes to Stanford, so I have a family connection with this school. I also really like this school.

Hmm..I was really questioning about Boston for the same reason. I mainly included it in my list because I was told by my pre-med advisor that all Californians apply to an average of 30-35 schools. Instead of adding top-tier schools like Yale or Columbia, I added Boston because their stats are closer to mine. What would you suggest substituting Boston with?

I'm all about keeping the supposed "long shots" on your list, if you have the money to deal with the cost to apply via AMCAS plus the ~$100/school secondary application fees. It is good to keep it realistic, but you seriously just never know!

What do you think about substituting Brown with Duke?

UCSF is my second top choice, so that's why I have it on my list.
Case Western is known to admit a high number of students from my university & I personally really like this school.
My sister goes to Stanford, so I have a family connection with this school. I also really like this school.

Hmm..I was really questioning about Boston for the same reason. I mainly included it in my list because I was told by my pre-med advisor that all Californians apply to an average of 30-35 schools. Instead of adding top-tier schools like Harvard or Yale, I added Boston because their stats are closer to mine. What would you suggest substituting Boston with?

You say you have strong research experiences, how strong are we talking? Duke likes high stats (Accepted student averages are a 3.9/36, both of which you're beneath) and is an extremely research heavy school (They require an entire year of research/scholarly activity). Feel free to keep UCSF, although there's a decent chance you won't get a secondary because they only give out 1500 a year. For Case - Same logic as duke (Your numbers are low). And Stanford - Who doesn't really like Stanford? There's a reason they are one of the most elite and selective schools in the nation. Family connections generally are worthless, unless your connection is to a Department Chair at the school of Medicine or the Dean himself.

I don't mean to be harsh (although I know it may come across that way), but I think you may be wasting your time and money applying to schools you don't have a realistic shot at. I think if you replaced them with more mid tier schools it'd be more beneficial to you as an applicant.

I'm all about keeping the supposed "long shots" on your list, if you have the money to deal with the cost to apply via AMCAS plus the ~$100/school secondary application fees. It is good to keep it realistic, but you seriously just never know!

I actually only have to pay for the primary application for 15 schools. My secondary apps are waived for most of my schools.
Super thankful to AAMC for helping those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

You say you have strong research experiences, how strong are we talking? Duke likes high stats (Accepted student averages are a 3.9/36, both of which you're beneath) and is an extremely research heavy school (They require an entire year of research/scholarly activity). Feel free to keep UCSF, although there's a decent chance you won't get a secondary because they only give out 1500 a year. For Case - Same logic as duke (Your numbers are low). And Stanford - Who doesn't really like Stanford? There's a reason they are one of the most elite and selective schools in the nation. Family connections generally are worthless, unless your connection is to a Department Chair at the school of Medicine or the Dean himself.

I don't mean to be harsh (although I know it may come across that way), but I think you may be wasting your time and money applying to schools you don't have a realistic shot at. I think if you replaced them with more mid tier schools it'd be more beneficial to you as an applicant.

Oh no, don't get me wrong! I don't think anything you're saying is harsh. I appreciate critical feedback because it's very helpful. :)
Are there any schools that you have in mind that you think I should consider? I did a lot of research but it's hard to figure out which schools are middle tier. & I tried to avoid the public schools because of their high in-state preference.

I worked in a research lab for 2.5 years, didn't author but my name is on a publication.

Realistically, I know I would be lucky if I even got an interview for Stanford, Case, or UCSF.
If I don't get into my dream schools, then i'll go to whichever school I got into. My question is whether having 20+ "within my range" schools is enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually only have to pay for the primary application for 15 schools. My secondary apps are waived for most of my schools.
Super thankful to AAMC for helping those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

That's awesome! Go for it! I know from (recent) personal experience that you should definitely keep things in perspective, but don't preemptively kill your dream for fear of failure.

Oh no, don't get me wrong! I don't think anything you're saying is harsh. I appreciate critical feedback because it's very helpful. :)
Are there any schools that you have in mind that you think I should consider? I did a lot of research but it's hard to figure out which schools are middle tier. & I tried to avoid the public schools because of their high in-state preference.

I worked in a research lab for 2.5 years, didn't author but my name is on a publication.

Realistically, I know I would be lucky if I even got an interview for Stanford, Case, or UCSF.
If I don't get into my dream schools, then i'll go to whichever school I got into. My question is whether having 20+ "within my range" schools is enough?

I just saw you have FAP (which is great!) so as long as you don't mind writing extra essays, feel free to ignore my above advice and apply to as many reaches as you like. I think as a CA applicant (It sucks doesn't it :(?) having 20+ schools where you're at or slightly above average is a good number. Schools I'd think about adding are: Miami, New York Medical College, Stony Brook/University of Buffalo (I have friends from CA who go here and enjoy it), Ohio State (It's a competitive school that likes high MCAT scores, but they take 85 students a year who are OOS).

That's awesome! Go for it! I know from (recent) personal experience that you should definitely keep things in perspective, but don't preemptively kill your dream for fear of failure.

Awww..i'm assuming you got into one of your top choices!?! Good job and congratulations! :clap:
Mind sharing your experience? It'll give some of us some inspiration. Haha

Yeahh, I'm just trying to be as realistic as possible without crushing my dreams.
To be honest, I'd choose any California school over any school. Mainly because I'd like to stay closer to my family incase I ever need to help them out.

Do you think my list looks reasonable though? I guess my question is whether 20+ schools that are within my range enough to give me a good chance of getting to at least one?

Also if you're interested in serving underserved communities in the future (i.e. not planning on going into academic medicine/plastic surgery), I'd recommend cutting the more research heavy schools like Duke/Case that focus on creating physician scientists and scholars.

I just saw you have FAP (which is great!) so as long as you don't mind writing extra essays, feel free to ignore my above advice and apply to as many reaches as you like. I think as a CA applicant (It sucks doesn't it :(?) having 20+ schools where you're at or slightly above average is a good number. Schools I'd think about adding are: Miami, New York Medical College, Stony Brook/University of Buffalo (I have friends from CA who go here and enjoy it), Ohio State (It's a competitive school that likes high MCAT scores, but they take 85 students a year who are OOS).

In terms of applying for medical school...it does suck to be a California resident.
But for everything else (people, food, culture, weather, etc.), I love being a California resident!
I guess everything must have its pros and cons.

I am starting my secondary apps early...already have 3 down! Planning to finish 2 more today.

Okay, thank you so much for all the advice though! Oh and between Brown and Duke, which do you think I have a better chance?
I want to be as realistic as possible too...so i'm only gonna choose one instead of applying to both.

Last edited:
Also if you're interested in serving underserved communities in the future (i.e. not planning on going into academic medicine/plastic surgery), I'd recommend cutting the more research heavy schools like Duke/Case that focus on creating physician scientists and scholars.

Hmm..that's a good point. But I would be interested in doing some research as a medical student though. Of course, nothing as intense as an MD/PhD.

+ I know people that go to these school = no hotel fees. :soexcited:

Thank you! Yeah, I actually got into UCSF, which was my dream school as well!
I have a killer GPA (3.93c/3.94s) with a mediocre-at-best MCAT taken under extenuating circumstances (8 PS/10 V/11 BS = 29 :wtf:) with extensive clinical ECs that were all done in rural/underserved areas in CA, and 9 months of research experience. I am originally from a rural/medically underserved community; my high school has literally never had a graduate go on to become a doctor.

I had a HORRIBLE application cycle until very recently. In fact, I thought all hope was lost for the vast majority of it, and I felt like my dreams were crushed for sure. Here are all of the things that very smart people told me not to do, but I did anyway:

1) I applied during my last year of undergrad as a cell/molec bio major, and balancing time spent on apps with time spent on the core classes of my major was very difficult to mediate.
2) I took the MCAT in August 2013, and submitted my app to AMCAS in June of 2013, meaning that my scores did not come out until September 2013. Not to mention that the "what if awful things happen that screw up your mental game" scenario that most people warn you against when you plan to take the MCAT during your application cycle did actually end up happening to me.
3) The research experience that I now have was all done during this past cycle, meaning that it was not on my AMCAS application, so unless a school asked for an update or interviewed me, they had no idea.

In the end, my stubbornness was not my downfall, but I most definitely paid for it dearly. I do not, by any means, think that my unlikely story is the norm (see my handle), but I am proof that it can happen in strange, Twilight Zone-esque instances! UCSF class of 2018, here I come!

Lastly, I think your list looks very reasonable, especially with the FAP in play for you. I can't speak to whether or not 20+ in-range schools will do right by you in the end, as the medical school application process can be very unpredictable one way or the other. However, you're doing your homework, staying realistic, and keeping your options open, which is all you really can do. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I have a killer GPA (3.93c/3.94s) with a mediocre-at-best MCAT taken under extenuating circumstances (8 PS/10 V/11 BS = 29 :wtf:) with extensive clinical ECs that were all done in rural/underserved areas in CA, and 9 months of research experience. I am originally from a rural/medically underserved community; my high school has literally never had a graduate go on to become a doctor.

I had a HORRIBLE application cycle until very recently. In fact, I thought all hope was lost for the vast majority of it, and I felt like my dreams were crushed for sure. Here are all of the things that very smart people told me not to do, but I did anyway:

1) I applied during my last year of undergrad as a cell/molec bio major, and balancing time spent on apps with time spent on the core classes of my major was very difficult to mediate.
2) I took the MCAT in August 2013, and submitted my app to AMCAS in June of 2013, meaning that my scores did not come out until September 2013. Not to mention that the "what if awful things happen that screw up your mental game" scenario that most people warn you against when you plan to take the MCAT during your application cycle did actually end up happening to me.
3) The research experience that I now have was all done during this past cycle, meaning that it was not on my AMCAS application, so unless a school asked for an update or interviewed me, they had no idea.

In the end, my stubbornness was not my downfall, but I most definitely paid for it dearly. I do not, by any means, think that my unlikely story is the norm (see my handle), but I am proof that it can happen in strange, Twilight Zone-esque instances! UCSF class of 2018, here I come!

Lastly, I think your list looks very reasonable, especially with the FAP in play for you. I can't speak to whether or not 20+ in-range schools will do right by you in the end, as the medical school application process can be very unpredictable one way or the other. However, you're doing your homework, staying realistic, and keeping your options open, which is all you really can do. :)
Sorry to derail the thread, but congratulations on your unconventional but ultimately extremely successful cycle! I also agree about how unpredictable this process is, especially as a CA resident (One of my friends applied 3 years ago, got 0 interviews in CA and didn't even get a secondary from UCSF. Despite not getting a single interview in CA, they got in to UPenn/Columbia/Harvard! Crazy isn't it?).

AWWWWWW what a beautiful story! I'm so glad that it worked out for you!! I love happy endings. :happy:

Okay, thank you for the advice! With all that inspiration...I think it's time to go crazy on secondary applications. :p

AWWWWWW what a beautiful story! I'm so glad that it worked out for you!! I love happy endings. :happy:

Okay, thank you for the advice! With all that inspiration...I think it's time to go crazy on secondary applications. :p

Go get 'em, tiger! :D

Your list is solid with the few exceptions that others have already mentioned. Best of luck! :luck: