CA State Tax on veterinary services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robeezy08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just received this bit of info :

"CA wants to legislate a 9% tax on all veterinary services, including meds. This is really reprehensible at a time when so much is being done to heighten awareness regarding caring for animals and the high number of pets that are currently being abandoned due to the economic down turn. Veterinarians, whose training and licensing is as rigorous as that of Md's will now have their profession taxed as though they were dispensing canned goods. With the high cost of surgeries, neutering, and other expenses—an additional 9% tax will discourage many from giving their pet the medical care necessary."

See more info http://www.cvma.org/

Can't see how this will benefit our profession what so ever. Anyone know if other states already impose such a tax on veterinary services/products?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that is seriously ridiculous. I can't believe Conan the Barbarian would even think about proposing something like that. It's bad enough that lots of animals don't get the care they should receive as is, with a 9% sales tax people are definitely going to stay away from the vet. Someone needs to kick him out of office and send him back to his body building ways.:mad:

California is headed down a financial sewer. They are so horribly in debt and their budget deficit is such that taxpayers will receive tax-refund IOUs this year because the government doesn't have the money to pay them. They are desperate and trying anything to make up the difference and that usually means tax increases in multiple areas, so this doesn't surprise me a bit. Anyone ever heard the saying that "as California goes, so goes the nation"? Keep that in mind in the next few years...I don't see how our own national government avoids such a catastrophe either, short of the Fed printing and printing and printing.

Members don't see this ad :)
We've been trying to fight this proposition by sending letters and calling. I just mailed off 50+ signed letters opposing this tax from clients and employees at our clinic. What makes me even more angry is that veterinary medicine is being grouped with golf services and car repairs as new things to tax. Life saving, necessary medicine is apparently as important as a weekend hobby or getting your tires aligned!:mad:

I have some friends who live in Cali and am aware of the current situation there, but I hardly think that should have anything to do with solely targeting veterinary care. I find it hard to believe that the nation will come to a point anytime soon where it is targeting veterinary medicine like Cali is. There are so many other areas that the government would target first and not veterinary care. Arnold is an idiot.

As a CA resident I honestly was not that surprised when I heard about this some time ago, despite how much I hate it (since yes, most people cannot afford pet healthcare as it is; I've seen one too many euthanasias for pets that had treatable conditions). Sales tax is going up, we already pay more for gasoline than everyone else, blah blah. Just know that no matter who is in power, they are going to find some way to charge more and more for services that "not everyone needs" (like cigarettes, a while back) when there's just no money to be found elsewhere. People are more concerned with losing their jobs left and right/not being able to find any, besides.

I personally think they should put some massive taxes on alcohol...fewer crimes and drunk drivers. But apparently alcohol is more important than our pets.