Calc or Stat or Both or Neither?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamsicle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Calculus a common prerequisite for dental schools or no? Is stats a helpful course? I took a community college Statistics course this summer and received an A. I'm worried that this will this be looked on unfavorably since it is a cc course and might not be as rigorous as the UC Berkeley courses.

Members don't see this ad.

dreamsicle said:
Is Calculus a common prerequisite for dental schools or no? I took a community college Statistics course this summer and received an A. Will this be looked on unfavorably since it is a cc course and might not be as rigorous?

Statistics is very easy whether it's at a CC or a 4 year. I doubt schools will dock you for taking it at a CC.

I believe there's quite a few schools out there that ask to see a calculus course. I despised calc 1, but calc 2 was pretty easy.

KOM said:
Statistics is very easy whether it's at a CC or a 4 year. I doubt schools will dock you for taking it at a CC.

I believe there's quite a few schools out there that ask to see a calculus course. I despised calc 1, but calc 2 was pretty easy.

I don't think many schools will require Calculus as a prerequisite, the thing is you need to take Calc 1 & 2 to take Calc based physics, I do beleive some D-schools will take trig or algebra based physics. I know most science degrees require calc-physics, and for chemistry you need to have calc based physics along with higher level mathematics such as Calc III, diferential calculus, along with linear algebra.

Dude, don't be afraid of calculus its not that bad. I found calculus to be quite interesting and kind of fun. Calculus is like riding a bike, its kind of scary at first then you get the hang of it and it becomes easy. After a while you can use no hands(take short cuts). I took calc before stats and could not stand it, it was way to easy but incredibly labor intensive. Peace

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. See the thing is I am getting a humanities (English) degree, not a science-based degree, so none of these courses are requirements. I recently decided on pursuing dentistry, and I'm trying to find a way to fit in the required courses in summers when I can, and then I'm going to do a post-bacc for the rest. So is it acceptable if all of the math courses we take are from a cc, even Calc?

dreamsicle said:
Ok. See the thing is I am getting a humanities (English) degree, not a science-based degree, so none of these courses are requirements. I recently decided on pursuing dentistry, and I'm trying to find a way to fit in the required courses in summers when I can, and then I'm going to do a post-bacc for the rest. So is it acceptable if all of the math courses we take are from a cc, even Calc?
I was a sociology major. I got my gen. ed from a cc (including all my math classes). I never took calculus. Only a very few select dental schools require calculus (like Boston). As long as you eventually end up at a four year university and prove yourself there, you will be just fine.

Ya, I am attending Berkeley full time but because I don't have room for all of the classes along with my English major classes, I would be having to take just the math classes at a cc.