Calculating the approximate cost of a PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biscuitsbiscuits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This feels like such a silly question but I can't find a helpful answer to this.

Let's say you're in a program that is set up so that coursework is completed in the first three years, year four is dissertation and misc stuff (practicum, etc), and year five is internship. And let's say that schedule is actually followed and you're done in five years.

Do you pay the full tuition amount for years four and five even though there may not be any coursework? I assume there are fees and some kind of cost to remain enrolled, mentored, etc., but is it the full, listed cost of the program (the same as years 1-3)? If not, how is the cost broken down?

I'm not planning to attend an unfunded program but some of the programs I'm looking at tend to offer only partial funding and I'd like to have a better idea of what I'd be getting into.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

This feels like such a silly question but I can't find a helpful answer to this.

Let's say you're in a program that is set up so that coursework is completed in the first three years, year four is dissertation and misc stuff (practicum, etc), and year five is internship. And let's say that schedule is actually followed and you're done in five years.

Do you pay the full tuition amount for years four and five even though there may not be any coursework? I assume there are fees and some kind of cost to remain enrolled, mentored, etc., but is it the full, listed cost of the program (the same as years 1-3)? If not, how is the cost broken down?

I'm not planning to attend an unfunded program but some of the programs I'm looking at tend to offer only partial funding and I'd like to have a better idea of what I'd be getting into.

Thanks!

It's not a silly question. It's super important and it is handled differently everywhere.
You need to ask the program how they handle the internship year. You will need to register in some kind of credits on internship, so your questions are how many credits is that and if the waiver covers those or not. If not, you can ask if you are charged in-state or out-of state (often, a huge difference) and how much that works out for students.
It's not at all unreasonable to just ask for an estimate of how much students end up paying, for what, in the end. Actually, the program really should be volunteering this information--we do. You need it to be able to make an informed decision.

Reactions: 3 users
In addition to the above advice you also want to find out if how you're classified (full time versus part time) affects your ability to take out federal loans if that is your plan b. You're usually required to be enrolled in a certain number of units in order to get federal loans and if your programs 4th and 5th year plan won't reach that then you'll need to figure something out. The financial aid office can confirm the unit requirements for federal loans and your program can give you a clear answer on how students are classified those years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a silly question. It's super important and it is handled differently everywhere.
You need to ask the program how they handle the internship year. You will need to register in some kind of credits on internship, so your questions are how many credits is that and if the waiver covers those or not. If not, you can ask if you are charged in-state or out-of state (often, a huge difference) and how much that works out for students.
It's not at all unreasonable to just ask for an estimate of how much students end up paying, for what, in the end. Actually, the program really should be volunteering this information--we do. You need it to be able to make an informed decision.

Thank you- very helpful advice. I'm applying next cycle so I'll wait a few weeks until the current admissions cycle dies down and get in touch with the programs I'm looking at.

I assume (hope!) they'd give you this information automatically if you were accepted and weighing the decision more seriously. I'm just trying to narrow it down so I don't apply somewhere that would turn out to be outrageous.

In addition to the above advice you also want to find out if how you're classified (full time versus part time) affects your ability to take out federal loans if that is your plan b. You're usually required to be enrolled in a certain number of units in order to get federal loans and if your programs 4th and 5th year plan won't reach that then you'll need to figure something out. The financial aid office can confirm the unit requirements for federal loans and your program can give you a clear answer on how students are classified those years.

Thanks- I had not even considered this. I will keep it in mind.

I wish more people had this attitude in the allopathic and osteopathic forums.. know what you're getting into financially and emotionally.

I wish more people had this attitude in the allopathic and osteopathic forums.. know what you're getting into financially and emotionally.

I wish more people had this attitude in general in this country, even if they aren't going to graduate level training.

Reactions: 1 users
The other cost to consider is opportunity cost. If a program is a 4+1 year program versus a 6+1 year program, even with 30k in debt difference if one year is unfunded for the 4+1 your lifetime earnings is substantially higher.

Also. check in-state tuition rules as they vary by state and this can have a huge difference on planning. Some states are easy to establish residency. Others are next to impossible (Looking at you Kansas and your rule to "prove you intend to stay indefinitely after graduation" and that you "didn't come for educational purposes").

If loans are needed, don't forget compound interest when figuring out costs.

My program was fully funded, contingent upon having an RA, TA, or practicum that paid a minimum stipend. Everyone was funded for the 4-5 ore internship years (4 was the norm, with internship in your 5th year). Internship year was funded as well. You were guaranteed a TA/RA in first two years, and they had a process for helping you secure funded and approved practicum in years 3+, augmented with TA opportunities as needed. As you can see, there can be very program specific policies, so you need to ask questions-
- is funding guaranteed?
- for how many years?
- what do I have to do to get funding?
- beyond covering tuition and fees, am I guaranteed a position with a stipend? For how many years?
- if its a mentor model program, ask the mentor what students in each year prior to internship typically do to get funding/stipend
- what percentage of students in each year of training received full funding
-at my program, grad student TAs/RAs were required to be in a union. You might want to ask about any such requirements.
- review any offer letters to see what is actually guaranteed in writing

Reactions: 1 users
Also keep in mind that - even when you are done with "coursework" - you will likely still be required to register for a certain number of dissertation credit hours each semester. If you are covered on a stipend, the tuition for your dissertation credits should be covered in a similar way as those for your more standard courses, but it varies by university and it's important to clarify, as noted above. Depending upon whether or not you defend before internship, you may need to register for a certain number in order to defend while you are on internship.

In my case, I defended prior to internship, and my university did not require me to register for any credits at any point during my internship year. Although this was great with respect to not having to worry about tuition, and who would cover it (though I was funded all 5 years), it did hasten the time I had to start paying back money on my student loans (which became due right around the time I started postdoc, which was not ideal). So there is some benefit to remaining enrolled at your university while on internship, even if you complete all of your other requirements before leaving for internship.

In my program, advanced students who were no longer taking classes and were simply finishing up dissertation and/or internship applied for continuous enrollment and paid a $50 continuous enrollment fee. That way we were full-time students on paper (i.e., loans didn't go into repayment), even if we weren't enrolled in full-time credits. Also, our internship "class" was one credit that we signed up for in the Fall and lasted the whole year. So, on internship, I only had to pay for one credit and continuous enrollment. Dissertation was similar, except it was one credit a quarter instead of one for the year.

In my program, advanced students who were no longer taking classes and were simply finishing up dissertation and/or internship applied for continuous enrollment and paid a $50 continuous enrollment fee. That way we were full-time students on paper (i.e., loans didn't go into repayment), even if we weren't enrolled in full-time credits. Also, our internship "class" was one credit that we signed up for in the Fall and lasted the whole year. So, on internship, I only had to pay for one credit and continuous enrollment. Dissertation was similar, except it was one credit a quarter instead of one for the year.

We also have a CE form to fill out that defers loan payments and keeps us enrolled as "full time students" despite being below the full time # of credit hours. We're required to take X number of thesis and dissertation credit hours, but as long as they're taken in our first 4 years of school, they're covered by our tuition remission. Internship is 2 credit hours (1 in fall, 1 in spring), and has to be paid at out of state tuition rate (since I'm not "from" the state, where I'm attending), which is aggravating, but shouldn't be too expensive. We're guaranteed stipend and tuition remission for our first 4 years, after that tuition is no longer covered, but the program has always been able to find work for 5th year (and beyond) students, either in adjunct, clinical, or research positions. I took out a small loan, when I moved (across the country) and am paying it back monthly, so it'll be paid off by the time I go on internship. Other than that, I'm able to support myself fully on my stipend. My partner and I live together, and he's already established in his profession, so that helps out a lot too.

Thanks, this is just what I was looking for. I'm sure it varies quite a bit from program to program, but I was hoping for confirmation that years 4+ would not be full sticker price.

Thanks again to everyone who responded- really great info here. This has been such a great resource for me.