Calculus-based AND Algebra-based Physics to fulfill prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wuicejrld

Reaction score
Most med schools require that one year of physics must be completed as a prerequisite. I was wondering if the one year needed to be the same physics topic. For example, if I completed algebra-based physics I, do I HAVE to take algebra-based physics II to fulfill the prerequisite? Or could I instead take calculus-based physics I?

I ask because I took algebra-based physics I, but due to scheduling conflicts I am unable to take the second part this semester. This is my last semester.

Most schools only state that one year of physics must be completed, and do not clarify if it needs to be two parts of the same topic. However, I am worried that taking two level I courses will not count towards the prerequisite. I have reached out to a couple of schools, but they have not replied.

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect medical schools would see taking algebra-based physics I and calculus-based physics I as the same course. Because they are basically the exact same course, just with a slightly different focus.

I don't think most undergrads will even give you credit for taking both--usually they give you credit for just one or the other.

Reactions: 2 users
Since prereqs are established by the med schools individually, whenever these questions of "Can I take xyz class to satisfy this prereq" come up the answer really is "you have to ask the individual schools." Not even every school requires a year of physics, some say they require 2 semesters (8 credit hours), and others will spell out the topics they expect you to learn (ie including magnetism, circuits, optics--topics that would only appear in Physics 2). Still an additional question would be whether your school has a separate lab for algebra vs calculus-based physics, as if they do not you won't make it up to the 8 semester credit hours that some schools require.

You could ask your school if it is even possible to get credit for both classes, and if the answer is no then you're done. If you could, then I think you would need to ask this specific question to the schools you are interested in that require a year of physics. And I suspect that if asked, they would tell you this wouldn't count. Or, you could take the classes as you have proposed and see if anyone notices that you took two versions of physics I--personally, I wouldn't stake my med school application on this, but it's your call ultimately.

Bottom line--for schools that require "a year" of physics, the intent is clearly for you to take physics I and physics II. If you cannot fit those courses into your final semester due to some scheduling conflict, then you probably need to take the course at a CC after graduation. I think trying to find a way around this requirement for the schools that care is going to take a lot of your time, and ultimately be unsuccessful anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, if I completed algebra-based physics I, do I HAVE to take algebra-based physics II to fulfill the prerequisite? Or could I instead take calculus-based physics I?

I ask because I took algebra-based physics I, but due to scheduling conflicts I am unable to take the second part this semester. This is my last semester.
I would love to know how an academic advisor at your school responded to this.

As a graduating senior, you should have planned this out. You have the highest priority in course selection. What is in your way that you cannot take one last remaining class before graduating? (This is like a PREview question.)

As a graduating senior, you should have planned this out. You have the highest priority in course selection. What is in your way that you cannot take one last remaining class before graduating? (This is like a PREview question.)
To be fair, some small liberal arts schools may have limited sections for Algebra-based physics 2. If they conflict with some required senior capstone requirement for the major, it is conceivable there really isn’t a way around this.

However, in that case the logical recourse would be to take physics two either over the summer or after graduation—not to try and dress up physics 1 in a different hat and pretend it’s a totally separate course

Reactions: 4 users

You're right, this should have been planned better. Physics II with lab takes some desirable time out of my schedule every week. Between working full time, volunteering at the local free clinic, and wanting to take specific upper-level biology courses, I overlooked physics. Ultimately my desire to become a physician outweighs my need to work and my desire for the biology courses, so I will work my schedule around this course instead.

Also, my advisor has made no comment, one because everything is online, and two because physics is not needed for my degree. At my school getting a BA in Biology does not require physics (it is required to get a BS). I am getting a BA because it allowed me to take more classes in biology electives. I also originally planned to become a PA, which doesn't require physics. But, after shadowing and clinical experience, I decided that I wanted to be the leader of my patient's health decisions; therefore, becoming a physician became my new ultimate goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just for perspective, this is the same as asking if "General Chemistry 1" and "General Chemistry 1 for Business Majors" would count as the two course series. It's effectively the same class, just with more or less detail.

You still have time if you aren't matriculating this year. Physics 2 + the lab if you need it in the summer would be fine and wouldn't conflict with the schedule you have set for right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Just for perspective, this is the same as asking if "General Chemistry 1" and "General Chemistry 1 for Business Majors" would count as the two course series. It's effectively the same class, just with more or less detail.

You still have time if you aren't matriculating this year. Physics 2 + the lab if you need it in the summer would be fine and wouldn't conflict with the schedule you have set for right now.
I thought they were completely different physics courses. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user