calculus dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyinblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while and I really didn't know who to ask so I figured I might as well as it here. My situation is that I took calculus in high school and it counted for 2 quarters of calculus at the university. As an incoming freshman my counselor told me I didn't need anymore calculus. But now that I'm getting ready to apply to optometry schools, Berkeley is one of the few that require 3 quarters of calculus. I really don't remember ANY calc and I don't have a good feeling about jumping into mutivar calc out of the blue. Any advice? This might be a stupid question, but would they ever do something like waive the class? I have a 3.9+ gpa...but calc is definitely not my strength.

Also, off topic, but I'm planning to spend the summer studying for the OAT. Would it be a bad idea to try and study for it while also taking Anatomy (i'm awful with standardized tests)? Thanks for the much appreciated help.

Members don't see this ad.

i think multivariable calc is different from the others, so it wont be hard if you dont remember much of the stuff. that's not to say that you dont need the basics of calculus, which are pretty simple. go ahead and take it because berk is one of the stricter schools and you can't really waive prerequisite classes...
and you dont need anatomy to do well on the oat, so you should be fine with the basics.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while and I really didn't know who to ask so I figured I might as well as it here. My situation is that I took calculus in high school and it counted for 2 quarters of calculus at the university. As an incoming freshman my counselor told me I didn't need anymore calculus. But now that I'm getting ready to apply to optometry schools, Berkeley is one of the few that require 3 quarters of calculus. I really don't remember ANY calc and I don't have a good feeling about jumping into mutivar calc out of the blue. Any advice? This might be a stupid question, but would they ever do something like waive the class? I have a 3.9+ gpa...but calc is definitely not my strength.

Also, off topic, but I'm planning to spend the summer studying for the OAT. Would it be a bad idea to try and study for it while also taking Anatomy (i'm awful with standardized tests)? Thanks for the much appreciated help.

This is a tough situation. Try to talk to a counselor or the math department in your school. Im almost sure that Berkeley wont waive the requirements just for you, because its the requirements, there are probably many more in your situation.

If worst comes to worst, take some time in your summer to brush up on the calculus. If you did fairly well on the AP that you were exempt from 2 semesters, its got to come back to you somehow. See if theres any other calculus classes in your school, besides multivariate that you can take to fill the requirement. Also it would'nt hurt to call berk and ask them what you can do in your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd probably have to take one more quarter of calculus at your university or at a community college to fulfill Berkeley's prerequisite. Like you, I had AP credit for two quarters of calculus at my college (and Berkeley does accept AP credit) but then I took one more calculus course. As the previous poster said, it doesn't hurt to call Berkeley and ask, although I'm sure they wouldn't waive the prerequisite.

As for the OAT, I wouldn't study for it while taking anatomy. Anatomy isn't on the OAT and it's just a bunch of extra memorization you're not going to need for the test.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

As for the anatomy thing...it's because my university doesn't offer it and the summer is the best time to take it at the community college. I'm just afraid taking the class will get in the way of my studying for the OAT. But one class shouldn't be too bad?

Best piece of advice is to talk to Berkeley (and other schools you are interested in). See what they have to say. You should be fine studying for the OAT while taking Anatomy.

ehh your scaring me now, im planning to take 3 classes + volunteering and doing the OAT at the same time

Id be so happy to be in your position with only 1 class and the rest of the time to study for OAT