California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amistica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey...

I just came across this website after having applied to Psyd Programs.. I have already heard back and got into my top choices, except now im startng to doubt what my "top choices" are!

My situation is a bit more complex than others as I plan to return home (abroad) after attaining my Doc degree. First of all, this means that I need a program that trains its graduates extensively on the abilities of treating diverse populations (culturally). Secondly, since most countries abroad know little about the PsyD program, it allowed me to disregard 'rankings' as much as I normally would.

However, I am now left with two options. 1) California Institute of Integral Studies - which infuses the eastern psychology approaches with western ones and discusses spirituality and religion (which play a large role in the US and abroad). OR 2) Chicago School of Prof Psychology - it infuses culture knowledge into its program but I am not sure how in depth it goes as to address alternative psychology techniques.

My main concern is the reputation of CIIS. I personally believe that it has a great program and that it will teach me a lot about the broad ways of treating different populations. However, I'm worried that it's 'spiritual' component may influence my future internships and options. Does anyone know how much training CIIS gives in western psychology?

Any information on this school would be great! Thanks.. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Amistica said:
Hey...

I just came across this website after having applied to Psyd Programs.. I have already heard back and got into my top choices, except now im startng to doubt what my "top choices" are!

My situation is a bit more complex than others as I plan to return home (abroad) after attaining my Doc degree. First of all, this means that I need a program that trains its graduates extensively on the abilities of treating diverse populations (culturally). Secondly, since most countries abroad know little about the PsyD program, it allowed me to disregard 'rankings' as much as I normally would.

However, I am now left with two options. 1) California Institute of Integral Studies - which infuses the eastern psychology approaches with western ones and discusses spirituality and religion (which play a large role in the US and abroad). OR 2) Chicago School of Prof Psychology - it infuses culture knowledge into its program but I am not sure how in depth it goes as to address alternative psychology techniques.

My main concern is the reputation of CIIS. I personally believe that it has a great program and that it will teach me a lot about the broad ways of treating different populations. However, I'm worried that it's 'spiritual' component may influence my future internships and options. Does anyone know how much training CIIS gives in western psychology?

Will CIIS allow you to do the internship abroad? I know some programs do allow foreign students to do the internship at an approved site in their home country (if they don't intend to practice in the US). If so, you may be able to bypass the main obstacle (getting an APA-approved internship). What is the match rate for APA internships anyway?

well, I don't know about the CIIS program. However, I would check the laws and regulations of your country before you obtain your PsyD from any program. You may not be able to be licensed in the field because the governing bodies won't recognize your degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very true... Sanman.
Ph and D is definitely more known and accepted elsewhere

Hey...

Hello I am exactly on the same situation you are at. My choices are CIIS Chicago School and Nova southeastern University. I was set on going to CIIS but now that I have looked about the internship placements, I am not so sure.. because of it's low percentages. I am not sure what to do..because I do like the uniqueness of CIIS's program, but I believe Nova or Chicago may allow me better opportunities in the future...
any advice.. I am so confused.
I was wondering what you have decided.. if you want to share.

Thanks.

FWIW I've read (from others here at SDN) that the east-west and spirituality dimensions are not as strongly emphasized in the clinical psychology program at CIIS as they are in other departments there. I also visited CIIS several years ago for an open house and came away with the impression that some (students and faculty) in the clinical psychology department viewed the rest of the school as a bit overly enamored of the woo, and happy that their program established a bit of separation.

Hey...

personally, I wont recommend any close friends of mine to go CIIS for their phd or psyd. the Psyd program is not so diverse (east combined with west) as is advised coz the makeup of the student body/faculty is pretty much homogeneous. if you really wanna stay in the bay area, try applying to more respected programs (berkeley? I believe Standford has a program too.)

look for programs that are very internationally-friendly and faculties that do cross-cultural research. oftentimes, such programs as those will provide funding and excellent clinical/research training.

I know a person who goes to CIIS. He said that if he could have done it again, he would have gone to the Wright Institute instead because they begin practica in year 1. His first practicum was in year 2, at the institute of aging doing psychodynamic theapy with older folks. that's about all i know, hope it helps.

my opioion is that CIIS will influence your opportunities but the shape of those influences totally depends on your career choices. i think there's opportunities in for CIIS students that others wouldn't have because of the cross cultural perspective. in other professional circles, there may be some bias against CIIS graduates for those same reasons.

p.s. i think the best way to find out more about a program is to visit and ask a lot of questions of students and faculty. you can tell a lot about the place from what's said, what's not said, and based on the general vibe. if you can't visit, speak with people on the phone. see if the school will provide the opportunities you're looking for.

..man this is twice in a week that i've been answering the OP of old post.... well, i hope it helps you sakura...

Last edited: