California is a strange place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spent some time in Socal and these are my observations.

-Everyone is obsessed with driving and directions. The highway is called "the freeway". Each highway is addressed with "the", like "the 5", "the 10" etc. Everyone has to know each and every direction you take to your destination, and how the traffic is. We went to Disneyland and everyone had to know how we got there. "So you took Supulveda Blvd to the 105 to the 5 to Disneyland Dr?" I have no idea and who cares, it's called Waze. "How was traffic?" It's LA, how do you think traffic was??

SNL "The Californians" is spot on:

-Y'all drive like maniacs. I was going 70mph in the second to right lane, which is lane 5 of 6. Yet so many cars passed me on the right going 75-80mph. I saw cars weave in and out of lanes for no reason. Too many fast n furious movies.

-Everyone is obsessed with black. I saw many people dressed head to toe in black, even though it's hot and sunny all the time. Aren't you guys hot wearing all that black? I even saw someone cross the street dressed in all black with a black mask on. No hate for wearing a mask, but is it necessary in the middle of an 12 lane intersection that takes 5 minutes to cross with no other pedestrians around? Also they like to black out their car emblems. I saw a white Toyota Corolla and all the Toyota logos, "Corolla" and "LE" or whatever trim emblems were so dark that you couldn't read them. The wheels were all black, the lights were black, the windows were tinted black, all the chrome was deleted with black. Why not just get a black car to begin with?

-Y'all like to eat in your cars. I went inside In-N-Out and they asked if I was eating in the restaurant or in my car. Why would I eat in my car if I came into the restaurant? Why would I even eat in my car and get french fry grease everywhere? Why would I want to hold hot greasy fries and burgers on my lap while eating, with a steering wheel in my way? So when you're done baking in the sun in the hot parking lot while eating, do you go back inside the restaurant to wash your hands or do you just drive off with greasy fingers, then throw away the trash when you get home? Park, go inside to order, bring food to car, eat in car, go back inside to wash hands and throw away trash, then go back to car. What's the point?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Ahh but it’s home.

Actually, so cal is functionally and culturally its own state. We’re only one state because they need our water, and sometimes you need a sibling that effs up all the time to feel better about yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh but it’s home.

Actually, so cal is functionally and culturally its own state. We’re only one state because they need our water, and sometimes you need a sibling that effs up all the time to feel better about yourself.

Doesn't most of CA's water come from the Colorado River?

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't most of CA's water come from the Colorado River?

The mix is:

25% Colorado River
30% Northern Sierra (California Aquaduct, SWP)
45% “local” which is a crock of crap because they consider the Los Angeles Aquaduct, which famously destroyed the Owens Valley, as a “local” source (see map below)

Moved out of CA, north cal specifically less than two years ago. No regrets yet.

I have been to Socal a few times. Summer is too hot for me, but winter is nice.

Consider relocating to PA, FL, or WA. Californians pay too much taxes.

OMG…eating in a car….that makes you a god damn savage in my mind…
Ok, ok…in attempts to make peace with my OCD, drinking (non alcoholic) drink in a car is ok

Californians SNL skit is hilarious

Moved out of CA, north cal specifically less than two years ago. No regrets yet.

Too hot? Stay closer to the water, almost no point to so cal if you’re east of the 5. In a weird way, I hate so cal winters because cold weather/rain always presaged the passage of time for me, so it felt as if time stopped for me and it was eternally autumn from December-March.

I guess the goal is to make enough money so that taxes are irrelevant. PA is ok, no thanks for FL (humidity? hurricanes? alligators?), but if it weren’t for family and existing opportunities, I’d move to WA. PNW is more my jam weather-wise, close to BC, and easy flying to/from CA and Asia.

Isn't FL humidity brutal in the summer too? Also hurricanes and flooding as mentioned above.

Washington and Oregon are nice. I hear they are almost as expensive as CA now.

California is a ridiculous place. Fun for vacation but I don't know how anyone affords to live there with a state income tax and current real estate prices.

Isn't FL humidity brutal in the summer too? Also hurricanes and flooding as mentioned above.

Washington and Oregon are nice. I hear they are almost as expensive as CA now.
thinking of moving to a no income tax state, preferably in EST. the difference is around 50k more take-home...

Members don't see this ad :)
California is a ridiculous place. Fun for vacation but I don't know how anyone affords to live there with a state income tax and current real estate prices.

The ones who can afford to live there make high income or they are boomers who bought in the 70s or have generational wealth from parents who bought in the 70s.

thinking of moving to a no income tax state, preferably in EST. the difference is around 50k more take-home...
I know of a few high income people that arbitrage tax rates by living near state borders. PA has a flat income tax of 3.07% rate. The next biggest tax for PA residents is property tax, so they then live in a township with low property tax rates. Then when they do their shopping, they scoot across the state line and buy in Delaware for no sales tax. That little sliver of area is super close to the airport, too.

Last edited:
I guess the goal is to make enough money so that taxes are irrelevant. PA is ok, no thanks for FL (humidity? hurricanes? alligators?),
you forgot to add "Florida-man" and Ron Desantis to your list

We have family, my wife's sister, live in SoCal. If you think LA is weird, you should visit OC, the very definition of weird. Every time you bring up the issues, they bring up the weather! They live in a gated community, within a gated community, in a gated home in Coto de Caza. They live in a $4.5 million, 10,000 sq.ft home. Not enough for them, they are desperately trying to get into a $6-7 million home. This is just to keep up with the Jonses.
Only major plus, I absolutely love in & out Burgers and fries. I heard they will expand into Texas but no further west .
Way back, my wife wanted to move there. It was 2002, I sat down for the now discarded, California Board exam. I was thinking, well I am a Pharm.D., with residency with 14-15 years of clinical experience. And I did really well on the NABPLEX. How hard could it be? Well, I am still here in Georgia.

• Wow
We have family, my wife's sister, live in SoCal. If you think LA is weird, you should visit OC, the very definition of weird. Every time you bring up the issues, they bring up the weather! They live in a gated community, within a gated community, in a gated home in Coto de Caza. They live in a $4.5 million, 10,000 sq.ft home. Not enough for them, they are desperately trying to get into a $6-7 million home. This is just to keep up with the Jonses.
Only major plus, I absolutely love in & out Burgers and fries. I heard they will expand into Texas but no further west .
Way back, my wife wanted to move there. It was 2002, I sat down for the now discarded, California Board exam. I was thinking, well I am a Pharm.D., with residency with 14-15 years of clinical experience. And I did really well on the NABPLEX. How hard could it be? Well, I am still here in Georgia.

Wow 10k SF is a giant home. Do they own a business? In-N-Out is good but sometimes the lines are crazy.

You all are funny.
Ahh but it’s home.

You're forgetting the far north. Those is some very different people than the ones you live near. #jeffersonstate

Coto de Caza? That’s all I needed to hear, no wonder you think OC is weird.

I spent most of my time in the 714, much more normal suburban digs there (and way better food).

Coto people are…some kinda special.

Wow 10k SF is a giant home. Do they own a business? In-N-Out is good but sometimes the lines are crazy.
He is a "civil engineer", owns a small company, where he designs shelving for retailers that is earthquake resistant. Came up with some proprietary software. Makes a $ million/year. Ownes about 5-6 sports cars in the 6 garage home. Life is good.
It's true money doesn't bring happiness, this couple, always stressed out, he can't sleep, unless highly medicated.
Oh, they were just turned down for the $7 million home, they were wanting a bridge loan, to be able to sell their home. Their mortgage was going to be $59,000 a month!
I feel really bad for them. NOT.

• Wow
lol why do people always bring up the extremes when talking about California?

Actually I know the answer, it’s why we talk about Florida Man and alligators. Hahaha

lol why do people always bring up the extremes when talking about California?

Actually I know the answer, it’s why we talk about Florida Man and alligators. Hahaha
I was not bringing up the extreme, this is sort of the norm in Coto de Caza, Corona del mar, Newport Beach, Laguna Niguel. Definitely not a one-off! And this is family, not something I came up with.

I was not bringing up the extreme, this is sort of the norm in Coto de Caza, Corona del mar, Newport Beach, Laguna Niguel. Definitely not a one-off! And this is family, not something I came up with.

I don’t doubt your examples but Newport Coast/South OC/949 is by definition extreme wealth (0.1%), so absolutely you brought up the extreme, even if that’s the norm.

That’s actually what most people of extreme wealth think…that these are the norm. There’s a reason I dressed up when I stopped by South Coast to buy pants.

But I get it, the reason why “The OC” was such a big hit in the early-aughts was because it portrayed the extreme. If it featured normal people from Brea or Placentia, no one would have watched the show!

But I get it, the reason why “The OC” was such a big hit in the early-aughts was because it portrayed the extreme. If it featured normal people from Brea or Placentia, no one would have watched the show!

Fo sho. I read about a failing restaurant that applied to be on that Gordon Ramsay show "Kitchen Nightmares". The network was not interested because there was no drama between the staff like you see on the show.

You think someone trying to buy a 7 million dollar home isn’t extreme? What would you consider extreme?

• Haha