California Psychology Licensure Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropsych7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this question has been asked in years past, but the course landscape has changed here in California so I hope it's okay to revisit. Since JFK has closed, my understanding is that the only online course that meets requirements for the Substance Abuse Detection and Treatment pre-licensure coursework requirement is through Alliant. In looking at their website, their Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency course is 15 credits and only $150 to enroll. On the website, it states that the course is "accepted by the California BOP." Does this mean that it's accepted generally as a CE, or does it also meet the pre-licensure coursework requirement? In looking at past threads it seems like the courses were really expensive (>$500), so I was curious as to why this one is so much more affordable (or perhaps I just shouldn't question the good stuff).

Any information you have is appreciated! Together we will get through this CA licensure process...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I know this question has been asked in years past, but the course landscape has changed here in California so I hope it's okay to revisit. Since JFK has closed, my understanding is that the only online course that meets requirements for the Substance Abuse Detection and Treatment pre-licensure coursework requirement is through Alliant. In looking at their website, their Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency course is 15 credits and only $150 to enroll. On the website, it states that the course is "accepted by the California BOP." Does this mean that it's accepted generally as a CE, or does it also meet the pre-licensure coursework requirement? In looking at past threads it seems like the courses were really expensive (>$500), so I was curious as to why this one is so much more affordable (or perhaps I just shouldn't question the good stuff).

Any information you have is appreciated! Together we will get through this CA licensure process...
Hi @neuropsych7 did you ever end up taking that Alliant course? I'm in your shoes now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it worked! I submitted it with my other courses and was licensed no problem (after waiting for a frustratingly long amount of time, of course).

Yes, it worked! I submitted it with my other courses and was licensed no problem (after waiting for a frustratingly long amount of time, of course).
Congratulations. Anything else you can say about the Alliant course. seems they get away with limited information on the course. Is it video or all reading? It would be nice to have options with something that may be applicable to different areas of practices especially for people who have been in practice a while.

Congratulations. Anything else you can say about the Alliant course. seems they get away with limited information on the course. Is it video or all reading? It would be nice to have options with something that may be applicable to different areas of practices especially for people who have been in practice a while.
Hi, just reaching out to you bc now I am in your shoes! Did you take the Alliant course? Did it satisfy the requirement?

Doesn’t extra education requirements for licensure over and above attaining an APA approved doctorate seem a little silly and a bit problematic in some ways. All States have CEUs and the expectation is to continue to learn and develop as we progress and learn what our areas of practice and emphasis will be. I was just talking to newly graduated social worker that I am supervising as she pursues her LCSW about that process and it was one of her goals of supervision. I told that as cases arise she could buy books or take courses and my company would pay for it. Doesn’t seem that complicated.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn’t extra education requirements for licensure over and above attaining an APA approved doctorate seem a little silly and a bit problematic in some ways. All States have CEUs and the expectation is to continue to learn and develop as we progress and learn what our areas of practice and emphasis will be. I was just talking to newly graduated social worker that I am supervising as she pursues her LCSW about that process and it was one of her goals of supervision. I told that as cases arise she could buy books or take courses and my company would pay for it. Doesn’t seem that complicated.

Unfortunately, more states are jumping on the bandwagon of requiring certain CEU requirements, many that are unrelated to the practice of many of their providers. CAs terrible practices are spreading.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, more states are jumping on the bandwagon of requiring certain CEU requirements, many that are unrelated to the practice of many of their providers. CAs terrible practices are spreading.
Not surprised. Kind of the nature of bureacracy to grow. Our state actually did the opposite recently under our governors mandate to slash government waste by simplifying and eliminating unnecessary steps. One example is two years to get 30 hours as opposed to 20 every year. They also eliminated some of the requirements although I think some ethics CEUs are still required. I don’t mind doing CEUs in general and enjoy attending conferences and am glad that I have a little more flexibility if I don’t get to a conference one year because I’m trying to get a new practice up and running, for example. 😁