California Resident, my chance at US MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulpremed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I am currently a Senior in college and I am planning on applying next year to only MD US schools. I am currently a student at the University Of California- Los Angeles. However I did transfer from De Anza Community college two years ago.
- There, I did finish all my prerequisite classes including Gen chem, Organic chem, Physics, and Bio and Calculus.

Here are my stats:
My community college transfer GPA was a 3.73, with B's in General Chemistry 1 and General Chemistry 2, and Organic chem 2 with A's in all my other science and normal classes.

At UCLA, however, I got mostly all A's including in Bio chem and my upperdiv.

- My community college gpa plus UCLA GPA adds to 3.80 overall and a 3.67 science GPA

My mcat score is 513, which is about a 32 on the old one.

I have been conducting research extensiely since my freshman year( yes, even while i was in community college) and i am still doing research at that specific lab ever since.

I must say my extracurriculars are also fairly strong, with many leadership positions in almost everything I did.

I must say that i have no target school, I just want to get into A medical school, my stats might not be the greatest but I wouldn't think they are poor at the same time!

Do you guys have any specific schools I should apply to, where I would have a good chance of getting an admission?

here are the schools I am looking at are:
-UC Davis
-UC Irvine
-UC Los Angeles
-UC San Francisco
-UC San Diego
-USC
-UC Riverside
- Drexel
-Albany college
-New York Medical college
-Tulane
-Chicago Medical school( Pritzker)
- Geisel school of medicine- My Top Choice
-
Hofstra
-Penn State
- Stony Brook
- University of Arizona
-Virginia Tech
-Virginia Commonwealth
-Stanford( I wish :/ )

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
513 is a 32 not a 34 but regardless you are rather competitive. For specific schools, invest in MSAR, target schools with median MCATs in the 30-34 range and that take at least 3o% OOS. Come back with a list under those categories you'll get a lot of good input editing that list.

Reactions: 1 users
The schools I am looking at are:

-UC Davis
-UC Irvine
-UC Los Angeles
-UC San Francisco
-UC San Diego
-USC
-UC Riverside
- Drexel
-Albany college
-Tulane
-
Hofstra
-Penn State
- Stony Brook
- University of Arizona
-Virginia Tech
-Virginia Commonwealth

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a clarification for you: Chicago Medical School =/= Pritzker. Chicago Medical School = Rosalind Franklin. University of Chicago = Pritzker.

Reactions: 1 user
The schools I am looking at are:

-UC Davis
-UC Irvine
-UC Los Angeles
-UC San Francisco
-UC San Diego
-USC
-UC Riverside
- Drexel
-Albany college
-Tulane
-
Hofstra
-Penn State
- Stony Brook
- University of Arizona
-Virginia Tech
-Virginia Commonwealth

Chances at any one school won't be great because that's just the nature of the beast but all in all good list. Recommend considering adding wake forest oakland quinnipac Jefferson Miami medical college Wisconsin saint Louis Einstein and Rochester but all in all good list. Your end goal should be having 12-15 schools OOS you have a reasonable shot at a II at. I count around 6-9 on your current list

I am a California resident, so I don't know how that effects my chances at these schools?

Do you have an idea of some more schools I could apply to other than the ones suggested by grapesofrath, possible states or rather schools that actually like California students that are oos friendly ?

You are competitive for these MD schools also:
Quinnipiac
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton

You are competitive for these MD schools also:
Quinnipiac
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Thanks for your reply!, I will be sure keep these schools in my mind. Out of the list I posted, which schools do you see me being competitive at? or schools where I have no shot/very low shot?

Thanks so much once again, this process is soooo difficult :(

Thanks for your reply!, I will be sure keep these schools in my mind. Out of the list I posted, which schools do you see me being competitive at? or schools where I have no shot/very low shot?

Thanks so much once again, this process is soooo difficult :(
Stanford, UC San Francisco and Chicago Pritzker are very low chances for admission.

Am I crazy or did you bump your own thread of two years ago. Care to provide any updates from your original post?

You write here that you were a senior at UCLA, but here you mention that you are a sophomore transferring to Duke. Which one is right?

The above lists seem excellent if everything you have stated is actually true. For Stanford, UCSF, Pritzker, etc., you are going to probably need strong research, which you make no mention of in your post.

Last edited:
Based upon your stats, I suggest:

UCF (maybe)
Duke (maybe)
U Cincy (maybe)
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
UCI
UCLA
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

How are you a senior at UCLA in 2015 and a sophomore going to DUKE in 2017???

Based upon your stats, I suggest:

UCF (maybe)
Duke (maybe)
U Cincy (maybe)
U VM
Pitt
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
UCI
UCLA
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B is definitely one you should add. If you look at their acceptances the last few years they accept a large percentage of California residents.