Californios

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i already said i'm ignorant and i don't care. for your information i've been in ann arbor for a year and seven months and have yet to come across anything worth staying for, other than my classmates who are good people. the only culture this stupid town has are bars, flip cup, and beer pong. i would compare this town to berkeley, which also prides itself on being an oasis of liberalism. first of all, i'm not defending berkeley but being liberal in ann arbor is like being a moderate in california - this stupid place can't even do their tree hugging and gun-hating with the same protest sign. second, berkeley led the country in the 60s with their demonstrations - i bet all ann arbor did during that time was root against ohio state and throw ping pong balls into yellow plastic cups. anyway, apparently you hate this place too so i'll agree with you on that fact, you can live life thinking chicago is good, i will live thinking los angeles is good, and let's all piss on ann arbor together.

Members don't see this ad.

ctwickman said:
Yeah and this type of attitude never comes out of California regarding other parts of the country? That's the problem most people have with California, is this is all TOO prevalent coming out of there. Maybe it's because it's so far removed from where most people live? Maybe because Californians don't bother with "fly over country" because to them it is, well, "fly over country?"

I mean, come on man. California is probably the most isolated, provincial state in the union. You will never meet a higher percentage of people who haven't visited or travelled the country extensively than in SoCal, nor a higher percentage of people who stereotype other regions of the country they haven't been to, and dismiss entire regions like the Great Lakes entirely, even though there are way more people here and the cities are far more developed.
1) California has pride. So does, for instance, New York and Texas. You attack Texas and Texans will defend their homestate as vehemently as a Californian--and though I don't much care for Texas, I respect that pride that they have. You dog Ohio or Iowa and the people who live there do little to defend their home state--I have no respect for that. While I like CA more than NY, TX, or New England, I still respect those that have pride far more than those who lack it.

As for your "isolated" comment, all I can say is DUDE, STOP SMOKING ALL THAT CRACK, 'CAUSE YOU'RE OFF YOU FOCKING ROCKER. Currently, I'm in the US county that has the second highest level of diversity in the nation (Alameda, home to Oakland and Berkeley, second after Queens county in NY). LAX is the single busiest point of immigration in the world right now--it is today what Ellis Island was 100 years ago. And beyond that, the Tijuana/San Diego border crossing is the single busiest border cross point on the planet. Isolated my ass!!! Most of the people I know have traveled the WORLD extensively, and I'm terribly sorry if you felt left out because the travel Californians have done is more likely to put them in New York, Boston, Paris, Hong Kong, or Ensenada than it is to end them in Cleveland or St Paul. Good lord. And just because you can't drive for 10 hours in Illinois and remain in the same state does not in any way mean that a Californian that goes 500 miles from San Diego to San Francisco has done less travelling than a person who takes a 500 mile drive from St Paul to Lansing and crosses 5 states in the process.

ctwickman said:
How about the West Coast where if you drive even a few miles outside of the major cities, there is NOTHING, NO ONE, NADA living at all. Or where even in the MAJOR cities there are no lights on the freeways?
Of all your rants, this one baffles me the most. Who gives a flying fock about lights on the freeways? I can assure you that the I-5 in Orange County has them, and they suck. Every car I've ever driven has been equipped with HEADLIGHTS, and I'll tell you, they're wonderful. Are you so scared of the dark that you think there needs to be enough earthshine to keep the nights as bright as the days? I like the dark. I like seeing the stars. I think it kicks ass. I like being able to go to the mountains for snowboarding, going to the beach for body boarding, and also going to clubs that kick ass. My love of the city does not give me a drive to light up the whole damned countryside.

And FYI, the earthshine is deliberately kept low for a damned good reason--the Palomar Observatory, east of where LA meets SD. It was the premeire observatory on the planet for over half a century (until the one in Hawaii got up and running).

Members don't see this ad :)
this is true, i've been to many states and countries. i've never had the desire to go to milwaukee and relive the laverne and shirley thing or drink pabst blue ribbon. man, house and techno music. that's some good stuff. when did chicago invent blues? hello, blues was invented in the south. all chicago did was add their own flavor to it, kind of like extra sauce on top of a pizza. big deal man.

face it, chicago is known for 3 things only - extra pizza sauce, jordan, and oprah.

we should just ignore ctwickman. seriously, no more encouragement for that guy. he's written some of the dumbest stuff i've ever read. the best part was when he wanted proof that Cleveland is a $hithole. do i really need to explain it to him? or should i just point him to almost every crime, death, poverty, snow, drew carrey show indicator???

right you are jeffy, we should go back to celebrating how great california is and how it's better than anywhere else rather than waste breath talking about places like cleveland, madison, milwaukee, indianapolis, or any other wasteland not worth our time.

california is the greatest state in america!

ctwickman said:
As for me, LA doesn't have dense urbanity, loads of walkable pedestrian neighborhoods, extensive mass transit, and changing seasons where I can reinvent myself a few times a year, so for me and many others, you have to understand that LA does not "have it all" for us, otherwise we would move there. I like to live an urban lifestyle and walk to corner grocery stores. I don't own a car and neither do 9 out of 10 of my friends. I like to mingle on the street with people, and run into my friends as they are walking around in the city and not sequestered on the freeway in their cars. I run into people all the time on the street. Living here is like a big, huge ass college town where no one owns a car and you run into friends randomly as you are walking somewhere because the city is so dense.

What you need to get is one of these...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 63
ctwickman said:
No other regions do so much bragging because they are, to put it bluntly, not as much of elitist snobs. You are simply proving my point. You are guilty of "Californiattitude," which is the dismisal of everything "not-California" for simple nose-thumbing, pride swelling sake.

How do you explain this:

50326_l.jpg

Face it--there are other places that are arrogant. New York seems worse about it that California, because they do it with little or no provocation.

ctwickman said:
What does Cincinnatti have that LA doesn't? What kind of question is that? I'll answer that if you can tell me what does Fresno have that Chicago doesn't? What does Bakersfield have that Milwaukee doesn't? I mean, every city is DIFFERENT so I can tell you that Cincinnati definetly has no traffic, pollution, rudeness, and cost-of-living problems that LA does, for one thing. How about a better skyline than LA? But if this is about Cincinnati vs. LA then we are just getting ridiculous. LA has 6X as many people metro so obviously there will be all the advantages and disadvantages that come with that.

Cincinatti has no pollution? You're killing me. I guess acid rain doesn't count as pollution, then?

phfield.gif

LA has smog, yes, but acid rain, no. The thing about smog is that it's so visible. Now granted, I'm no fan of smog, but there's something important my O-chem professor pointed out. NO2 is the reddish-brown major constituent of smog. At cold temperatures, it forms N2O4, which is colorless, but equally hazardous. NOx is NOx. However, the hotter it gets, the uglier the smog will become--and since LA is hot, it makes the smog more visible than it would be in cooler regions. That's also why smog is so bad in Vegas, and why it's worse in Pohoenix than in LA. Just a thought.

And I'd much sooner take a dip in the Pacific Ocean than in any of those polluted-ass Great Lakes. And the following map is small, but interesting:

us-map.gif

Or how about this for pollution?

States_with_Facilities_Violating_CWA.jpg

ctwickman said:
You will be hard pressed to find people that will agree with your beaches comment. Florida beaches are pristine and WARM. California beaches are COLD. Florida water is so much warmer than California. Period. Fact. There is a reason why Florida is by far the #1 Spring Break destination for Americans and California isn't even close.

Florida's waves SUCK. Anyone who enjoys surfing or bodyboarding knows that California rules the continental US for good surfing. Moreover, I happen to LIKE the cool ocean on a hot summer day. But most importantly, cool ocean = no humidity = no mosquitos/flying pests. You can keep your Atlantic beaches; they haven't gat a thing on the California coast.

And as far as the popularity of Florida as a vaction point, that's because of Florida having a closer proximity to the major areas of population--at least in part. I went to Daytona for Spring Break my junior year, and it was a major let-down. Sure, the water was warmer, but it rained off-and-on all week. And then, for the week after Spring Break ends, we got a chance to see the Confederacy really shine: Black College Reunion weekend. Despite the fact that the BCR crowd was far more composed of ACTUAL college students, and hence, better behaved students, and despite the fact that the overall attendance was less than half what it was the previous week, them negroes jus' coun't be trussed. The police presence was stepped up to about 5 times the levels of the previous week, with cops lining the median on the main drag; more than half of the clubs were CLOSED on Friday and Saturday night, and the few that were open refused to sell me the Negro Modelo that they sold me three days earlier, because suddenly glass bottles were prohibited. Christ almighty, it felt like I had gone back a century in time. People can call Californians superficial all they want, but the fact remains that we do far less judging on the basis of race, nationality, or sexual orientation than most of the rest of the country. You can keep your damned Spring Break in Florida.

ctwickman said:
Oh and Cali has better cars than Detroit? Are they just giving them away in California? I mean, how does this effect ME or the average person. I can buy any car in Detroit I can buy in California, for LESS and with LESS government surcharges, so I don't see your point other than to say "there are more rich materialistic snobs in California than in Detroit." Am I supposed to think it makes my life better to see Ferraris and Bentleys? I see them all the time in Chicago and it hasn't done a damn thing for me personally.

Speaking about cars, I don't care about cars.

ctwickman said:
Columbus/Indianapolis/Memphis/Alabama? Since when is Memphis or Alabama in the Midwest? Are you totally that geographically challenged out there and living in that thick of a bubble?

Well why the hell are you bringing up Florida when you're trying to represent for Chicago? I mean, I'll grant that Hawaii has better surfing than California, but California has better museums and better sports teams. Point is, it isn't like California is better in absolutely every way to every place anywhere, but when you're looking at the overall package, California is head & shoulders above the rest of the country. You want to get pissed about comparisons to Alabama, then quit dipping into the South when you're trying to show how great your region is.

ctwickman said:
Chicago? A bunch of big buildings? I guess New York is just that too? A little more than that my man. REAL urbanity with REAL pedestrian activity. People actually WALK to work here, imagine that! Get a clue about Chicago: http://www.philipmalenfant.com/

You can walk in New York or Chicago, but you can jog in California without going into Central Park to get mugged. Plus you can roller blade or take a bike ride down the board walk. I don't get it--you spend half of your time talking about how you spend all your time sheltered indoors from the crappy weather, and the other half talking about how everyone walks. No one in LA walks as a means of transportation, perhaps, but they do get up and run regularly to stay in shape. It's like that bit from Permanent Midnight:

Chica: You were jogging on heroin?

Stiller: Well, I was a smack addict, but I was a Californian smack addict.

And you can go ahead and obsess about pedestrian traffic if everything you want to get to can be grouped in a small region, but really, there's no feasible way to have the LACMA, the Getty, (I've been to the Art Institute of Chicago's museum, and though impressive, it has nothing on those two), plus the Huntington Gallery, and the Norton Simon all collectively accessible by pedestrian traffic--espically not if you also want to include CalTech, UCLA, USC, Cal Arts, and Art Center (all world-class schools), along with the many beaches, the Hollywood strip, Downtown Pasadena, etc etc etc. There's no way to cluster all of the kick-ass destination that LA has, and likewise for the Bay Area--though the Bay Area does have some reasonable degree of pedestrian traffic.

ctwickman said:
Boston? That's Midwest now too? Anyways, Boston is an AMAZING, AWESOME, pedestrian and activity filled city with the best universities in the entire country, and 400,000+ college students (more than any other city in the country), and only someone provincial would ever pretend it's "not worthwhile" to live or visit.

I seem to remember hearing that the Bay Area is home to more Nobel Laureates than anywhere else in the world. And San Diego is the home to more Nobel laurets per capita than anywhere else. Boston/Cambridge has a long and proud history, but California will overtake it. Stanford, though it may be my rival school, will eventually be regarded as superior to Harvard, which has no engineering school. It's just a matter of time. This is where the internet, the personal computer, and transgenic biotechnology were all first formed. We rule in innovative high tech in the last half of the 20th century.

ctwickman said:
No offense man, but most people could care less about California more than you care less about them, and there are far more Americans moving out of your "utopia" than are moving back in so I guess you're just bitter that California is fastly becoming just a part of Mexico.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Keep dreaming. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you don't care so much, why have you spent so much time on this thread? I know why I spend time on this thread--i't because I do care about California. I love this state. There are so many other things about it that are wonderful that haven't even come up yet. For one thing, the women are friggin' gorgeous. I'll conceed that we don't have a monopoly on that--in my experience, Minneapolis and Toronto were similar--but it certainly is a contributor to that complete package I spoke of. And if you want to talk about "it's all plastic," then first you can address that Utah has more plastic surgeons per capita. It's all a silly stereotype that ignores the truth.

And then there was something that I had always taken for granted until my cousin from MD pointed it out--our produce kicks ass. All that 'nothing' outside the urban centers is the most productive agricultural region in the world. plus we've got wine country up near where I live, and that's pretty cool.

And there's the diversity of natural surroundings. The Redwoods, Yosemite, Death Valley, Anza Borrego, the High Sierras, Tahoe, and the miles and miles of beaches... That facilitates everything from camping to hiking to surfing to snowboarding to whatever. In LA, they throw huge raves out in the middle of the desert, far away from the city, and they're wonderful. Starry skies, plenty of room to spread out for dancing, cool, dry, desert breeze... it's truly incredible. Can't get to them without a car, though, and there's really no way around that.

Additional praise for California:

No smoking in restaurants and bars, and relatedly, the second lowest smoking rates in the nation (after Utah).

The fattest cities:
1. Houston
2. Chicago Ouch!
3. Detroit
4. Philadelphia
5. St. Louis
6. Cleveland
7. Atlanta
8. Columbus, Ohio
9. Dallas
10. Charlotte

The fittest cities:
1. Honolulu
2. Seattle
3. San Francisco
4. Colorado Springs
5. San Diego Much love for the home town, baby!
6. Portland, Ore.
7. Denver
8. Virginia Beach
9. Tucson
10. Sacramento

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-01-01-cities-usat_x.htm

What happens when you cross that continental divide, exactly? West Coast, Beotch! Congrats to Virginia Beach for breaking the east-of-the-Rockies trend.

Funny story to add there: my biggest complaint with Chicago came from my experiences there as a vegetarian. I tried to order a garden salad, and it came out with nasty-ass boiled bacon on it. When I asked the waitress to get rid of the bacon, she thought I wanted it on a plate on the side--as though the idea of wanting the bacon gone was unheard of. Then I get my pasta primavera.... smothered in chicken gravy, of course! God, it was nasty. Of anywhere I've been in the world, Chicago was the worst. Even pork-loco Dusseldorf had a meat-free salad. No wonder the midwest is so danged overweight.

As for music, seeing as how y'all in Chicago invented the blues and whatnot, California had OC punk (quite distinct from UK punk or NY punk, and superior), Gansta rap, and many fusion genres (Rage, Tool, Korn, the Red Hots, etc). I'll even grant you that Chicago was the birthplace of industrial, which you hadn't named--but there are sounds that came out of LA that were pioneered without necessarily becoming a scene. It still doesn't change the fact that LA is home to more bands and better bands than Chicago.

right you are ctwickman. i would **** on the rocky mountains and what those corrupt hicks did to kobe, but honestly, no one would be stupid enough to say that utah, montana, idaho, or the dakotas are much better than california. so basically, no one cares about them. also you're right canada sucks ass too. they suck so much ass that 99.999% of their people live a few miles from the US border. i will however grant that toronto was truly an international city which i was very impressed by. and europe is irrelevant. they don't have air conditioners and their old people die from heat stroke. enough said about that stupid wasteland.

sorry i have never been to milwaukee, and as great as the appeal of custard and polka music is, i don't think i will ever visit. california rules! nutmeg is so right, just listen to what he says, he speaks the truth.

california is progressive and diverse in all the ways the midwest isn't. smoking in restaurants is the most ass backwards thing. talk about culture shock man. i couldn't believe these beer ponging bone heads still lived in cave man times where they light fire indoors.

Footcramp it is hard to tell if you are serious or just kidding around.

It's too bad you'll never visit some of these places man. You'd have a good time. But your loss dude. If you are serious, you should just seriously quit your whining about Ann Arbor and move to a bigger city or something because I'm sure people who like Ann Arbor (I'm not one of them), are probably tired of hearing it from you.

It's hard to tell if you and some of the other people in here are just joking around or not though, because you'll praise different cultures and "diversity," and then in the same sentence bash a different culture than one you are used to, going as far as to stereotype and bash an entire region of 65+ million people.

Footcramp it is hard to tell if you are serious or just kidding around.
that's my trademark.

i'm pretty sure a lot of my friends here are annoyed with my constant rants against this beer ponging and cup flipping "college town" but i keep it mostly on SDN now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ctwickman said:
^

Dude if you are looking to get out of Ann Arbor, PM me man. You can come hang out with us once and a while. Two of best friends here are from California so you'll at least have something in common, and we'll go out on the town and go clubbing or something... I have to warn you though, we drink a lot and play a lot of Halo 2 so if you can put up with a little of that business I gaurantee you'd have a blast...

woah! you're even cooler than i first thought you were. :thumbup:

Nutmeg said:
Of all your rants, this one baffles me the most. Who gives a flying fock about lights on the freeways? I can assure you that the I-5 in Orange County has them, and they suck. Every car I've ever driven has been equipped with HEADLIGHTS, and I'll tell you, they're wonderful. Are you so scared of the dark that you think there needs to be enough earthshine to keep the nights as bright as the days? I like the dark. I like seeing the stars. I think it kicks ass. I like being able to go to the mountains for snowboarding, going to the beach for body boarding, and also going to clubs that kick ass. My love of the city does not give me a drive to light up the whole damned countryside.

And FYI, the earthshine is deliberately kept low for a damned good reason--the Palomar Observatory, east of where LA meets SD. It was the premeire observatory on the planet for over half a century (until the one in Hawaii got up and running).

maybe in hick country they need lights on the freeway so that cars can steer clear of the cows that every so often cross the highways?

ctwickman said:
More California ignorance. Look at any maps lately?

statemapredbluelarge.png

PurpleAmericaPosterAll50_small.gif

Yeah you can't be by major bodies of water in the Midwest, you're right.

unload_ports_map.gif

chi2113

And country? You live in Sacramento! How about the West Coast where if you drive even a few miles outside of the major cities, there is NOTHING, NO ONE, NADA living at all. Or where even in the MAJOR cities there are no lights on the freeways?

The West is far more "country" (sparsely populated), and far less urban than the Midwest.

POPULATION
popdensity_small.gif

NIGHT SKY BRIGHTNESS for the US (RASTOR OF CITY LIGHTS / URBANITY)
fig2.jpg

NIGHT SKY BRIGHTNESS for the World (too large to post, but interesting nonetheless)
Link: http://www.inquinamentoluminoso.it/download/mondo_ridotto0p25.gif

---

Notice I am not hating on California. But if you are going to call the Midwest a bunch of, essentially, backward, Bush loving hicks who all live in the middle of nowhere and are not near any major cities, then allow me to educate you otherwise.

Okay,,,so is it me, or was all midwest RED WITH BUSH people? hmmm and didn't I say that I DON"T LIKE COUNTRY? that is why I wouldn't go to midwest? DIDN't I SAY THAT, yeah even in Sacramento, it is too much country and I have to go to the bay area sometimes? Maybe I wasn't being clear enough, or maybe you read through it too quickly. Here to make it more clear:

I DONT LIKE BUSH, dont want to live in a State with Bush people (CA was blue, as well as Mass. correct?)
I DONT LIKE COUNTRY, rather be surrounded by city sidewalks (Sacramento, is still a city, but I much rather live in San Fran)
I LOVE WATER, yes, which midwest has, but I would much more prefer salt water, so i guess you have me there, which would probably be the only reason I apply to any midwest schools.

:p

^

DrWorkNeverDone,

I'm not sure what you are defining the Midwest as, but it ain't Nebraska. That's the Plains. The "Midwest" is Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. That is the tried and true Midwest that anytime you hear anyone refer to "the Midwest" on TV or on the news, that is what they are referring to.

Look at that election map again, especially the purple one. The Midwest doesn't look anymore red than California, does it? Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan are all quite "Blue" and have all been historically Democratic for decades. The rest of the Midwest states are "too close to call" and FAR from majority Republican and FAR from "Bush country." It's why we are the battleground for BOTH parties. If you divided California up into smaller states like we are, the West Coast would be a big battleground too. There are a lot of Republicans in California, especially Southern California and the Central Valley.

Besides I'm not sure your point: If you lived in the Midwest you wouldn't be forced to live in the country anymore than if you were in California--just move to a big city and a Blue area, and not the country, problem solved.

Take care...

(full disclosure: I'm a California native)

FOR YOU "CALIFORNIA RULES" TYPES:
Get out more. You'll find that while there are many great things about our state of California, all of the things you cherish can be found elsewhere. Sandy beaches (FL/HI), rocky coastline (ME), desert (AZ/NM), mountains (CO/AK), forests (WA/OR), urban cultural hubs (IL/NY/MA), and charming small towns (everywhere).

I love California and will probably grow old here, but boy there's a lot to be said for other spots. Thats why they're lovely places to visit and live. Try them. Almost everywhere has some positive things to be said for it if you bother looking.

FOR YOU "CALIFORNIA SUCKS" TYPES:
If you've spent any time there, you'll probably find that it doesn't.

If your reaction is defensive posturing because of the "California Rules" types, just ignore them. They are no different than some of those that flex stars-and-bars tattoos while thinking wistfully if only the South had won the war or some of those that are convinced that anything's quality depreciates the further one gets from New York City.

Every region has people like this. They are not representative. They are an annoyingly loud but thankfully small minority. They are best ignored.

FOR BOTH TYPES:
Please stop using the term "Cali" (or "Frisco", but that's a whole other issue). The only people that can use the term "Cali" and not sound like posers or wannabes are a handful of L.A. rappers. Odds are you aren't one of them, so please stop. The frequency people seem to use this term seems to be inversely proportional to the length of time they've spent in California.

Sorry guys, but I just LOVE TO KICK DEAD HORSES!!!! Especially when they're covered in mounds of bullsh*t. Go ahead and have pride, and go ahead and argue the intagibles of things where there is no proof in th pudding; but damn, dude, you're throwing out lies right now, and that's one thing that really pisses me off.

ctwickman said:
Wow Nutmeg. I guess I should just move to California right now. You are right--you can't get vegetarian in this city. I'm glad you graced us with your presence and determined that based on one waitress in one restaurant. I'm willing to bet you really dived deep into Chicago culture by exploring all of Michigan Avenue and River North. :rolleyes:

I never suggested it was impossible. What I'm saying is that I've been to half of the 50 states, I've been to the Netherlands, Germany, and Canada, and in every place I sat down to seat there was always at least *one* thing on the menu in any given restaurant that was fit for vegetarians. When I was in Europe, for instance, I thought there was no way I could maintain my vegetarian diet, so I said f*** it, I'll go ahead and at least be open to fish and poultry. But when I got to Amsterdam, the food was great, and there were always a great many options in every restaurant. Then I got to Dusseldorf, and we went to a pub that was known for it's pork dishes. And the menu was basically 308 different pork dishes, plus about three beef dishes, with no fish or poultry--but at least there was a salad and a baked potato that was meat free, and I managed to eat my fill without needing to consume swine, which is my most abhored meat. The point is that in most places, you don't need to drive across town or seek out some haven of vegetarian friendliness to find at least one item on the menu sans meat. The only place that was equal to Chicago in terms of pervasive meat, among the places I've been, was Tijuana. I think that speaks volumes.

It's lilke the sketch on SNL where the "Da Bears" guy was getting advice from his doctor, who told him he was eating too much pork, and he needed to balance his diet by eating more beef. And SNL jokes and my single experience aside, the fact is that the town was founded in large part on meat packing and slaughtering, and the city is the second most obese (according to the stats I put above) in the most obese nation in the world. It a serious issue, and maybe if the place was a little less meat-loco and a little more open to the idea of eating veggies, that wouldn't be such an issue.

ctwickman said:
You must have really popped a vein responding MULTIPLE times to a single post even when I was not here to respond, and when I thought I wrapped things up with Shaz, who was polite enough to agree to disagree. No offense but this is all opinion so there is no "proof in the pudding" so I don't know what your problem is. All you are trying to prove is how "superior" California is to the Midwest, and all I was trying to prove is how "superior" Californians think they are to the Midwest.

So thanks for proving my point.

I responded "multiple times" between the hours of 3 and 7am. I'm nocturnal, and I post on my breaks at work, so I end up doing a great deal of posting while the threads are all dead. Don't take it personally; I always post like this. That, plus I had to chop one of my posts in half because it was too long.

And I like the sport of debate, but it's really no fun if there is some definitive proof. I like arguing semantics and intangibles. But most of all, I absolutely love my home state, and quite frankly, I think that God's greatest blessing in my life was that I had the good fortune to be born here. Most of the things that helped me climb out of the poverty in which I grew up are direct consequences of living in this state, with the cheapest community colleges in the country, a booming economy, kick-ass state schools, and many social programs I've needed in my life. Beyond that, the balance of high-military presence, high-caliber academics, big business (everything from high-tech, to etertainment to agriculture), and coupled with a highly international population gives California a unique set of socio-politico values that are quite unlike the petty "left-right" spectrum that is seen on the East Coast/Mid West/Great Plains. Our spectrum is different over here--we have a Republican governor, but he's pro-choice, has made great contributions already towards increased environmental management, and willing to support gay marriage. And on top of all that, he really is pushing for fiscal responsibility while the traditional GOP is all talk. If the GOP platform was more like Arnie's, then I'd like the GOP a hell of a lot more. In the meantime, I and my fellow Californians must suffer the proportionately lowest level of Federal Government representation in the country, plus they pay taxes at an inflated level relative to their standard of living (ie, a person in Iowa who makes what I make pays the same federal taxes as I do, but I have less purchasing power with that same money in California, which was supposed to be the basis of the sliding scale tax bracket scenario), while the national agenda gets jerked around by people who, from my perspective, need to get over the damned Civil War and move on.

ctwickman said:
I'll tell you why I came in here though---it's when the bashing of everything "not-California" started. Read through the thread again. And the reason I even brought up Florida having nicer, warmer water is when the FLORIDA BASHING started by your fellow Californians in this thread, saying you had "superior" beaches.

Yes, and the reason that Alabama was brought up in the context of the Mid West is because they are equally unable to even try to stake a claim of being great places to live in trems of what they have to offer relative to California. I'll conceed that Miami was brought up by Shaz, but likewise, he grouped some areas together as they mutually fall into the "only a mother could love"-type category.

Quite frankly, one of the things I love about California is that Californians love California in a way that I've only really seen rivaled by Bostonians, New Yorkers, and Texans. You can go ahead and try to bash California by trying to piece together an amalgam of other states, but no city/state in the country can really go head-to-head against SD, LA, or SF, except, perhaps, by pitting one of those against the others.

ctwickman said:
And California *IS* a provincial, isolated country from most of America, and all my California friends will admit this. They have even brought it up to me.

Methinks you're using words without knowing their definitions. California is not provincial. A really quick and easy search rapidly reveals:

"Of the total U.S. population, 11.8 percent were foreign-born and accounted for 44 percent of the nation's population growth in 2002. A majority of the foreign-born residents live in four states: California (28 percent), New York (11.8 percent), Texas (9.8 percent) and Florida (8.9 percent)...

...Among states, California (26.9 percent) ranked first in the proportion of its population who were foreign-born. It was followed by New York (20.9 percent), New Jersey (18.9 percent) and Florida and Hawaii (17.9 percent each). States with some of the lowest foreign-born percentages included Mississippi (1.1 percent), West Virginia (1.2 percent) and Montana (1.6 percent)."

http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/censusstatistic/a/foreignborn.htm

ctwickman said:
There is nothing wrong with this man, because look at the geography of the US and where most people live. I mean, I'm sitting here in Chicago and it takes 4.5 hours to fly to California, but it takes only 2 more hours to fly to London, England! California is a LONG way from even Chicago, which would explain the feeling of homesickness you would experience if you lived here or even further east. Out East and in the Midwest, for instance, it is a days drive to roughly 80% of the US population. If I left now, in a CAR, I could be in Atlanta or New York City in time to party tonight, passing all the cities in between. Just look at the diversity of license plates you'll see in Chicago versus LA, for instance. In California it is MUCH more rare to see a license plate from other states than it is here. California is far removed from where most people in this country live. Period. No shame in this, just the way things are. Yes it is very international, especially Asian international, but it is still *domestically* isolated. Just look at an urban population map. You guys are pretty much on your own out there as far as big cities.

I don't give a rats ass how long it takes you to fly to England. It would take you longer to fly to Hong Kong. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Way to make a dumb point. And to pretend as though the diversity between any two states is greater than the diversity within any single state is just dumb. California has more people than any other state, and it has more area than any but two states--it is incredibly heterogeneous. More importantly, it is a state that has been housing the major innovations in science in this country in recent decades.

Even if the state is *domestically* isolated, how does that possibly mean provincial in light of the international integration? Good God, talk about having an inflated sense of importance--you're placing the Great lakes population above that of Asia and Latin America. Lawdhamercy. :rolleyes:

And who gives a rats ass about license plates? You have small-ass states! When I see a license plate frame from San Diego while I'm in Berkeley, it has travled further than most of the Indiana plates or the Wisconsin plates that you see, and there is a big cultural differnce between here and SD. And I see those plates all the time. But more significantly, I see stickers where people boast their national origin in the windows and on the bumpers of those cars with CA plates--and those come from everywhere.

No doubt, you live in a sprawl of a greater number of widely distributed tiny towns, and you surely have to drive further to see the stars clearly. Bravo for that mighty accomplishment. Here in Califonia, the cities house a dense population, while there remain vast expanses of undeveloped land, farm land, or grazing pastures. Here's some interesting reading:

"Most Dense Urbanized Areas: Los Angeles extended its lead as the nation's most dense urbanized area (an urbanized area is an urban area with 50,000 or more population). At 7,068 per square mile, Los Angeles leads second place San Francisco by more than 900 (6,130) and fourth place New York by more than 1,700 (5,309).
San Jose has emerged as the nation's third most dense urbanized area, at 5,914 per square mile. Virtually all development in San Jose has occurred since World War II and, as a result, San Jose is nearly all suburban (auto-oriented) and has no strong central core (downtown)."

http://www.demographia.com/db-uaprison.htm

So basically, the reason you see a spread is because our urban centers are more urban, but the sprawl is limited so as to not consume the countryside. How does that equal "provincial?" (Ans: It doesn't, it just means that California has greater civil development planning.) But it sure as hell blows your "As for me, LA doesn't have dense urbanity" argument the hell out of the water. Now who's making stereotypes about places they don't fully understand? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ctwickman said:
And sorry, we don't get acid rain out here and the Great Lakes are not polluted anymore. Environmental restrictions dealing with our region's greatest natural resource (the Great Lakes) are strict as hell. This isn't the 1970's man.

BULLSH*T. Take another look at my post--that thing is dated 1999. Has there's been imporvement since the '70s? Super! But there has likewise been improvement in the smog condition in LA. I can assure you that my first trip to LA proper ( a field trip to the UCLA campus) was in a far smoggier city than I saw when I lived there ten years later.

fig18o.gif

Granted, that graphic shows how much worse LA is than Chicago. But you're still ignoring the fact that my other graphic shows that no matter how stringent your laws might be, your state government sucks at actually enforcing the state laws. Check out the maps; California leads all of the Great Lakes states in actually observing/enforcing the environmental protection laws.

ctwickman said:
Per your street lighting comments, spare the reasons why you don't have lights on the freeways, because it ain't because of your observatories, because you guys have no problems lighting up your arterial road grid and have no problem putting out a bright night sky. The fact is the freeway infrastructure is old and most of it was built and planned in the 50's-70's, and back then they didn't put lights on the freeways, so that's why you don't have them.

BULLSH*T. You are talking (typing?) straight out of your ass here, my friend. While it is true that in large part the reduction of light is also due to energy conservation efforts (http://www.energy.ca.gov/efficiency/lighting/outdoor_reduction.html) it is also true that in making their considerations for how to conserve energy, the observatories (Lick, Palomar, and Wilson, in particular) played important roles. In my home town of SD, I remember battles being fought when law enforcement wanted to use brighter city lights, but that ran contrary to city laws specifically directed at reducing light pollution--which blows your "[you]guys have no problems lighting up your arterial road grid" argument right out. They do have problems, for what it's worth.

Lets compare some nights. Here's San Jose:

6251899.PA223322r.jpg

San Diego:

CA_SanDiegoNight04.jpg

LA:

ida_asp_04.gif

Now let's look at some Mid West cities. Chicago:

night.jpg

Cleveland:

westbank2.jpg

and St Louis:

PA080012.JPG

You'll notice that the California cities are distinctly orange-hued compared to the others. that is due to laws that require low-pressure sodium lights, rather than high-pressure sodium lights or mercury vapor lights, which produce more light pollution. The orange may appear to create a great deal of earth shine, but is within a narrow range of spectral frequencies which can easily be screened out by astronomers.

California leads in conservation, innovation, and it's still more urban in its urban centers. All that, and I just spent a weekend snowbaording in a place you couldn't reach by tonight driving in a car. Deal.

Wow. Did California kill your dog when you were a kid?? Get a life.

Nutmeg said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: To whom was that directed?

Sorry. Didn't mean to hit you with friendly fire. That was for ctwickman, or some spelling like that.

Whoa, this thread has gotten ugly. I'll say something nice about California.

San Diego is one of the nicest places I've ever been to. I espeically liked the Coronado Island section of San Diego. Our hotel in downtown San Diego had spectacular views of both the sea and the hills to the East.

I don't think I would want to live there for a variety of reasons (namely cost), but it's a good place to visit for a convention. That is in fact when I went there, when my Dad had a convention in San Diego. So I look forward to attending many future medical conventions in San Diego. Please keep San Diego looking nice for me, Californios :thumbup:

where's ucsb crybaby when you need him?