call 1:4, what does it mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europeanIMG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

A stupid question from a non-American. Saw some job ads on the net and most of them state "call 1:3 or 1:4" etc. what does it mean? Does it mean that you are on call every third or fourth night?

That could work as a resident but no way I will be able to do that for the rest of my life....

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

A stupid question from a non-American. Saw some job ads on the net and most of them state "call 1:3 or 1:4" etc. what does it mean? Does it mean that you are on call every third or fourth night?

That could work as a resident but no way I will be able to do that for the rest of my life....

That's exactly what it means.

However, unlike a resident, these calls are often home calls, meaning you are at home until you are asked to come in for consult, etc.

Hello,

q3 and q4 = every 3rd or 4th night.

But in private practices, they like to use 1:3 or 1:4, which means something else than what residents and med students are used to. This means that you are 1 among 3 that have to take call. It gives the job applicant an idea of how big the practice is.

My cousin runs a private clinic that advertises 1:7 wknds.

You have to inquire into specifics, because his clinic only does weekend home call. Which means for him, he takes call one every 7 weekends.