Call reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey guys, do any of you have provisions in your contracts that pay you for call in excess of your contractual maximum per month? My contract states I will have a max call of 7 weekdays per month and 1 weekend per month, with any call i take in excess of this reimbursed at $175/$375 per weeknight/weekend. My contract lawyer said this seemed a little low, but was also comparing it across different specialties. I dont really have any basis to go on as to what these numbers should be. Any input as to if these numbers are fair or where I could find info on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One of the local hospitals here pays a flat amount of around 2 grand for a Friday to Monday weekend call shift. I don't know the exact amount since I've never considered doing it, but I've heard it's in that ballpark.

Why are you getting stuck with extra call?

Not getting stuck with it, I have to approve anything I take over the 7 and 1 i mentioned. So if someone were out of town or something and there were open dates I could cover them and make some extra money. The call is split between the MDs and they also pay retina fellows in the area to help out kind of like moonlighting. I talked to one of the fellows who used to take call for them, and they paid him more but he also had to buy his own insurance whereas mine is covered. I dont see myself wanting to volunteer for extra call too often, but its just something the contract lawyer said to look into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many community hospitals pay ophtho guys zero dollars to cover call.
Something is better than nothing.

How busy is call? Do you have to cover any hospitals?

When I was a fellow, I took "trauma attending call" to staff the residents and was reimbursed $1000 per weekend.

When I was a fellow, I took "trauma attending call" to staff the residents and was reimbursed $1000 per weekend.

You staffed trauma while you were a Cornea fellow? How did you get to the point where you were that comfortable with trauma during an ophtho residency!? I can't imagine any of the Ophtho residents I know managing someone that came in with a GSW or had been in some hellatious MVA. Unless it was just consult for an orbital fracture or an open globe, that is.

She means eye trauma call, staffing ophthalmology residents. Many programs have fellows take occasional general ophthalmology attending call or offer to pay you to do it.

She means eye trauma call, staffing ophthalmology residents. Many programs have fellows take occasional general ophthalmology attending call or offer to pay you to do it.

Ah I see. That makes a lot more sense now. I probably should have guessed that's what it was.

Lucky! When I was a fellow, I had to take trauma call as part of my fellow responsabilities. No extra cash came my way... :thumbdown: