Calling all residents: Inservice advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermMatch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice you gots on studying for the inservice? That odor you smell is me crapping in my pants.

Members don't see this ad.

My impression is that it doesn't matter all that much.... especially in 1st and 2nd year. 3rd year might be a better indicator of how you'll do on boards.

Relax. It's a PRACTICE test.

I haven't heard of any program kicking anyone out due to their inservice scores... nor should they. It can help identify a program's weaknesses and give them something to focus on improving.

My impression is that it doesn't matter all that much.... especially in 1st and 2nd year. 3rd year might be a better indicator of how you'll do on boards.

Relax. It's a PRACTICE test.

I haven't heard of any program kicking anyone out due to their inservice scores... nor should they. It can help identify a program's weaknesses and give them something to focus on improving.

I'm worried about it cause I was told if I don't get past a certain percentile I'll have to take an oral exam. Then they'll really know that I don't know jack.

Members don't see this ad :)
If we don't get a certain percentile, then we actually have to get remediated. And then the PD starts to wonder whether you are an idiot, and then maybe will even delay you sitting for the boards.

Any advice you gots on studying for the inservice? That odor you smell is me crapping in my pants.

My advice, use 1 review book and stick to it. Do not use too many books (it just gets too overwhelming and confusing).

Review books I recommend:
(1) Steifel Dermatology-In-Review - Released every year & FREE. Steifel also has a website to do practice questions.
http://www.stiefel.com/professional/moreinfo.aspx

(2) Ali's Dermatology: A Pictorial Review - $60-70. If you're lucky, some drug reps donate it for FREE.

(3) Dermatology Secrets, 3rd ed. - $50. Good simple review for 1st year Derm residents. But 2nd & 3rd year residents, will likely need more detail and volume.

Good Luck :luck:

If we don't get a certain percentile, then we actually have to get remediated. And then the PD starts to wonder whether you are an idiot, and then maybe will even delay you sitting for the boards.

We have a similar policy at our residency program. If you don't get a certain percentile, then you get assigned a "mentor". I picture the "mentor" being a Nazi attending who would make your life a living hell...eg. homework assignments, book reports, journal summaries, etc :eek:

Fortunately, no one at my program has been assigned a "mentor" the past few years.

My advice, use 1 review book and stick to it. Do not use too many books (it just gets too overwhelming and confusing).

Review books I recommend:
(1) Steifel Dermatology-In-Review - Released every year & FREE. Steifel also has a website to do practice questions.
http://www.stiefel.com/professional/moreinfo.aspx

(2) Ali's Dermatology: A Pictorial Review - $60-70. If you're lucky, some drug reps donate it for FREE.

(3) Dermatology Secrets, 3rd ed. - $50. Good simple review for 1st year Derm residents. But 2nd & 3rd year residents, will likely need more detail and volume.

Good Luck :luck:
Thanks, yeah was told by some seniors to do the steifel so I'm sticking to that for the until the exam in april. Luckly I read derm secrets as med student and just have to review it a little before exam.