Campbell, Vandy, and UVA

u_raptor

Victim of the Mayo bamboozle
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know there has been plenty of threads debating whether 'prestige' matter when it comes to school, but I guess I need a second opinion on my choices here. I am currently a senior in high school, and I was recently accepted into Vandy, UVA, and Campbell University (a small NC private school, with 50% scholarship). But, well, I just can't decide between the options. Vandy and UVA are both very expensive when it comes to tuition, but I know the benefits of going (such as prestige and resources). On the other hand, Campbell is MUCH cheaper, although it isn't very well known outside the state. It does have some of the resources (internships, shadowing, research) that the other schools do, but obviously not at the same level. My father is a doctor, and he is pushing me towards going to the more prestigious schools, but the problem (as I previously stated) is that I don't want to deal with the ensuing debt. I also feel I would personally do better at a smaller school. Any advice or opinions?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

You want a smaller school
+ You think you would get better grades.
+ Smaller school is cheaper.
Go to smaller school
+ Screw your dad.

...Not literally.

I guess if your dad is paying for it, he can have a say. If you're personally taking on loans, his vote doesn't count.

To me, Vandy and UVA both have a small-school feel, but then, I went to a huge school for undergrad, so in comparison, most schools felt tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Would your dad pay for the fancy name? If not, how much debt are we talking per each option?

Would your dad pay for the fancy name? If not, how much debt are we talking per each option?

From what I understand, he doesn't intend to contribute. If he does end up helping, it won't be much. He is of the opinion he has already helped me by paying high school tuition :). At the current moment (no FA from UVA/Vandy, although that could change), Vandy would be 65K/yr. UVA about 50k/yr. Campbell (with FA), family loan around 20k/yr, personal loans around 4k/yr. Mom intends to help pay either way.

From what I understand, he doesn't intend to contribute. If he does end up helping, it won't be much. He is of the opinion he has already helped me by paying high school tuition :). At the current moment (no FA from UVA/Vandy, although that could change), Vandy would be 65K/yr. UVA about 50k/yr. Campbell (with FA), family loan around 20k/yr, personal loans around 4k/yr. Mom intends to help pay either way.
Alright so if I understand correctly, you'd personally be paying $40k more per year for Vandy over Campbell, $25k more per year for UVA over Campbell?

I would say that pretty much decides things for you. $100,000 to $160,000 of additional undergrad debt is insanity for a slightly better known name. As long as Campbell will still have research and nearby clinical opportunities you should go there and have fun being a standout student setting curves.

Reactions: 2 users
Make sure you weigh in your perspective on attendance policy. It doesn't bother some people but some are very particular about their schedule freedom

I'm glad MD vs DO hasn't popped up yet.

They're all great schools.

Alright so if I understand correctly, you'd personally be paying $40k more per year for Vandy over Campbell, $25k more per year for UVA over Campbell?

Yeah, that's about right at the moment. When it comes to financial reasons, Campbell is probably my best choice. Guess I am more worried about missed opportunities and such (Don't want to go to one and later wish I went to the other, etc.) . Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

Make sure you weigh in your perspective on attendance policy. It doesn't bother some people but some are very particular about their schedule freedom

Not too worried on this end, plan to attend my classes fully and regularly haha.

Yeah, that's about right at the moment. When it comes to financial reasons, Campbell is probably my best choice. Guess I am more worried about missed opportunities and such (Don't want to go to one and later wish I went to the other, etc.) . Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

Not too worried on this end, plan to attend my classes fully and regularly haha.
If anything this probably improves your odds for surviving to application stage! Wouldn't lose any sleep over saving six figures

^^^^^^ really doe. OP, you'll be very pleased with Campbell when you're sporting a competitive gpa. Any app deficiencies (if they actually arise) can be rectified during a gap year.

I'd be really surprised if vandy won't provide financial aid. I've heard great things about their FA office. That said if they don't provide aid, it's no contest, go where you can afford.

Even after aid, I still finished Vandy law owing $120k. And then couldn't find a job. FML...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So how many students does campbell send to real medical school each year? If your dad will foot the bill, Vandy or UVA would be vastly better options.