Can a dental student become a hygienist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bifenthrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in D2. I was wondering if dental students can become licensed hygienists while still on the DDS path... the reason I ask is that if this were possible, it could be beneficial because I'd be able to work part time as a hygienist during D3/D4...

If it is possible, how does one go about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in D2. I was wondering if dental students can become licensed hygienists while still on the DDS path... the reason I ask is that if this were possible, it could be beneficial because I'd be able to work part time as a hygienist during D3/D4...

If it is possible, how does one go about it?

Yes. Surely many 3rd and 4th year dental students do. Check with your state licensing board.

To be a hygienist you need to pass the national board, regional board and state board so I as a RDH, would say probably not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
That surprises me! I wonder how many states allow that. I can't imagine having time to actually work during D3/4, but that is a great option to have.
Thanks for the info

That is unique, but you still have to pass a DH license exam, in this case the NERB...so if a dental student can find the time, finances, and patience...go for it!

I checked with my state board and the requirement was that you must pass NBDE part one AND two.