Can a Physical Therapist justify to me the pursuit of a PT degree financially?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTMAYBE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering becoming a PT. I work alongside PT's and Ot's and have for the last few years. I am about to transfer from a community college to a four year. I am just looking at the return on investment and I am concerned. All the PT's I know talk about how they envy the PTA's making just a few dollars less than them an hour ( I would never be a PTA) with none of the concern or stress. In Florida the cost of a DPT degree approaches if not exceeds 100k. Beyond physical therapy being a rewarding career can anyone justify spending nearly 100k on a degree that pays the same as a 2 year RN initially? I have met some DPT's who earn 25-26 dollars per hour in the hospital setting in Florida. I have a family and I guess I am just concerned that pursuing this degree will leave me under a mountain of debt with no clear prospect of making truly good money. Could someone clarify to me the financial reason it is smart to pursue DPT or why it might not be.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are correct. There is an established pay scale for therapists that I feel is not acceptable. (I've expressed my thoughts on this in other treads on this forum). In the end, however, it depends on supply and demand and your ability to negotiate.

If you want to assume the hospital staff therapist path... then yes you're looking at 25-30/hr with an eventual max hourly around 40/hr.

That said... alternatively, you might work locum or PRN at a hospital/clinic... or work home health. That would see you compensated 50+/hr right out of school. Eventually, you might want to open your own practice. If successful... your income could be in the 150-200/hr range. It all depends.

Yes, it is financially difficult to justify spending 100K on a DPT for your population (family, main income provider, etc...). The fact is that the DPT makes more sense for recent BS/BA grads, single people, or people with significant others that can provide.
In your case, it would probably be better to major in something so that you can enter the workforce at the BA/BS level (nursing, engineering, accounting, etc...) instead of doing BA/BS + 3Yrs DPT.

For a single, college grad, the 50-100K DPT is not bad at all. Suppose as a new DPT grad, you make 60K. You can easily live off 40K and put the rest towards the loans. In 4-6 years, you are done with student loans. Now you are making 70-80K as an experienced DPT and living pretty comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are correct. There is an established pay scale for therapists that I feel is not acceptable. (I've expressed my thoughts on this in other treads on this forum). In the end, however, it depends on supply and demand and your ability to negotiate.

If you want to assume the hospital staff therapist path... then yes you're looking at 25-30/hr with an eventual max hourly around 40/hr.

That said... alternatively, you might work locum or PRN at a hospital/clinic... or work home health. That would see you compensated 50+/hr right out of school. Eventually, you might want to open your own practice. If successful... your income could be in the 150-200/hr range. It all depends.

Opening your own clinic means you working 6-7 days a week..marketing, billing, treating and overseeing PT's/PTA's. You will likely see 6 figures, but you will be working like a physician/resident. Also, don't forget...you will have to secure patients either from having a good referral source or a good marketing campaign to convince people to come see you rather than the local hospital system that has dozens of outpatient centers AND cost less per visit then seeing you. Also, $150/200 per hour comes out to $300-400K a year!...not likely, especially with healthcare reform.

So, to the OP...I'd consider it long and hard. Talk to other PT's out there. Ask them their opinion on whether it's worth it...and I'm not talking recent grads...I'm talking 5 or more years out. Those with kids/married/mortgages/car payments/loan payments/retirement accounts/college savings/etc. You'll find $70-80K is not that much money. Also, don't forget TAXES on that $70-80K that most people/students on this board forget to mention....

Good luck with your decision. It is a very hard one to make. Consider RN,PA,Pharmacy,sales etc. Less schooling and a better bang for your buck.

My current plan is to pay the debt off ASAP if I pursue this DPT. There are no plans for children or getting married though. I will do travel PT and pay this mountain of financial obligation off. Once I do this, I plan on having my own private clinic with low overhead costs. If at all possible, I'd like to get off of the entire insurance payment structure and go to a direct cash for services model. So it's not about the money it's about the debt. Once the debt is paid off, money becomes a low priority. Some define success with what is in their bank account. I don't. If I could get the debt paid down, I think I could make this a wonderful career. There is no doubt a better return on your investment in other health professions that require about the same amount of time and money invested as the DPT now. I like the fact I could provide an alternative to traditional medical surgical or pharmaceutical intervention. Thus I still pursue this despite the glaring reality that every year it seems to make less financial sense to do so.

Opening your own clinic means you working 6-7 days a week..marketing, billing, treating and overseeing PT's/PTA's. You will likely see 6 figures, but you will be working like a physician/resident. Also, don't forget...you will have to secure patients either from having a good referral source or a good marketing campaign to convince people to come see you rather than the local hospital system that has dozens of outpatient centers AND cost less per visit then seeing you. Also, $150/200 per hour comes out to $300-400K a year!...not likely, especially with healthcare reform.

Never said it was going to be easy owning a practice or that you wouldn't have to work for that type of income. I don't understand the assumption of the cost per visit difference suggested, a hospital clinic will be no more or less expensive for a patient than a private practice per visit. Marketing comes down to reputation as with any health care practice, one wants to go to the best for the best results. Regarding health care reforms, ultimately it's the providers ball... if the cuts get too significant we take it and go home. If the socioeconomics in an area is good a private pay/concierge therapy will do just fine.

My current plan is to pay the debt off ASAP if I pursue this DPT. There are no plans for children or getting married though. I will do travel PT and pay this mountain of financial obligation off. Once I do this, I plan on having my own private clinic with low overhead costs. If at all possible, I'd like to get off of the entire insurance payment structure and go to a direct cash for services model. So it's not about the money it's about the debt.

Just have to warn you and repeat what a few PT's have told me that I thought was really great advice. It's better to become a travel PT (home health) after more years of experience. Even when you graduate from PT school, you're still not going to know everything. There are going to be cases where a second opinion would help because you're not sure what would be the best thing to do. So it's better to work in a setting with lots of PT's, especially those working for many years that can help you. If you are a travel PT straight out of school, you do not have enough clinical experience to make right judgments by yourself all of the time. By working with other PT's, you will become a better clinician and better treat your patients. Remember, the three pillars of evidence based practice are patient values, research, and clinical experience. Sure you want to pay off all your loans right away, which is completely understandable. Just make sure you're patient enough to get the experience first.

I've come to terms with the expense, because after really thinking about it and second-guessing myself, I know it's what I want to do.

A lot of the PTs I work with (outpatient ortho) have second jobs...as odd as that sounds. One is a private softball/baseball instructor (she played division I in college), and she is part of our company's overhead athlete rehab program, so a lot of her clients are patients, and vice versa. I also know a PT that works for our company who teaches dance classes at night, just because she's been a dancer her whole life and didn't want to give it up, plus it's nice extra money. I also know some PTs who work as Athletic Trainers (they are ATCs) and/or personal trainers too.

For me, I'm not too concerned because I know with my personality I'll need to keep it interesting and I'm not the kind of person to only have one type of job. I know I want to teach in some aspect, so whether it's becoming certified in pilates and teaching a class on some nights/weekends at the gym, teaching a dance class, choreographing for a youth theater group, teaching A&P at the community college or teaching the part-time Health Occcupations class at the high school I currently work at, I'll find something to do to make extra money that I enjoy doing so it doesn't feel like work.

I also know a new grad PT who works full time in sub-acute/inpatient at a hospital in downtown Chicago, and then on weekends she goes to one of the local hospitals to help out in their PT department...it's an option w/a lot of earning potential, but that's a LOT of PT...if I have a second job I want it to be more of a hobby than work.

Just have to warn you and repeat what a few PT's have told me that I thought was really great advice. It's better to become a travel PT (home health) after more years of experience. Even when you graduate from PT school, you're still not going to know everything. There are going to be cases where a second opinion would help because you're not sure what would be the best thing to do. So it's better to work in a setting with lots of PT's, especially those working for many years that can help you. If you are a travel PT straight out of school, you do not have enough clinical experience to make right judgments by yourself all of the time. By working with other PT's, you will become a better clinician and better treat your patients. Remember, the three pillars of evidence based practice are patient values, research, and clinical experience. Sure you want to pay off all your loans right away, which is completely understandable. Just make sure you're patient enough to get the experience first.

I've heard that as well, but I figure I have three years to prepare for it. It will take some proactive research but the resources are there. If the opportunity is there I will take it. A PT is better than no PT so it's a win-win situation. The current opportunities to travel in PT won't be there forever. I've been in many situations in the past I've just been thrown to the wolves. I'll take the necessary steps to prepare. If I don't feel I'm ready, I will wait. We'll see.

Never said it was going to be easy owning a practice or that you wouldn't have to work for that type of income. I don't understand the assumption of the cost per visit difference suggested, a hospital clinic will be no more or less expensive for a patient than a private practice per visit. Marketing comes down to reputation as with any health care practice, one wants to go to the best for the best results. Regarding health care reforms, ultimately it's the providers ball... if the cuts get too significant we take it and go home. If the socioeconomics in an area is good a private pay/concierge therapy will do just fine.

No argument so don't take my advice the wrong way. In the end, that is all I'm offering...advice from someone who has been in the field a long time. If you want to own your own clinic, go for it. Just don't delude yourself into thinking PT is a 9-5 job with weekends/holidays off. It is a great field. Just don't go in with blinders or a false sense of what PT is or isn't. In the end, I still love it, but I wish someone had pointed out to me what actual practice involved.

Good luck and I wish you the best.

I find that the majority of PT/Science major type people are know nothings when it comes to business. I had read some idiots post in another feed, that if a PTA got an MBA, they would still not be able to become a department head. LOL. WTH. If someone gets an MBA they will be able to head a hospital not a department. Why lie, most MBAs will just leave the health sector altogether to pursue more lucrative careers in another industry. Second, I first thought it was just the foreign BS PT's that had this entrepreneurship phobia, which is un-American. I first blamed it on their submissive nature and secondly, on the fact that they went straight into a 4 year program out of high school. Hence, have no business knowhow beyond a high school student. However, it is truly discouraging to see American PTs talking about how hard or impossible it is to open a practice. Let me tell you something, I live in Florida where there are about 15 home health agencies per square mile. Everyone that I have worked for was making millions, most just offering to send people with no certifications (home health aides) in to babysit and then they charge insurance. The home health agencies also send in PTs and PTAs as well as nurses. The funny thing is, I have never met one health care professional who owned one. All of these PTs and BSNs were working for, in many cases, a high school drop out. The owners of these businesses are often stupid and opened the businesses on loans or with minimal capital. They are making ridiculous amounts of money off peoples service that went to school 7-8 years longer than they did. This is why I am a business major. There is a key element missing in health care professionals, business backbone. Every PT I talk to, "O, it will be to much paperwork, or too much liability". They sit there submissively taking what the owner decides to ration for them, when they are the ones that generated the money in the first place. Its called an LLC people, a limited liability corporation. The complete lack of business knowhow and lack of drive amongst these students is pathetic. There needs to be at least a year of additional required business courses offered to all health majors. It will cut out these uneducated middlemen who are making a killing and driving cost up and productivity down. I want to be a PT, just not like the ones I am meeting. I want to help people and run my own business and it can succeed and it is not hard. Get some business education and let me know whats up!! Business Major All The Way To PT

I find that the majority of PT/Science major type people are know nothings when it comes to business. I had read some idiots post in another feed, that if a PTA got an MBA, they would still not be able to become a department head. LOL. WTH. If someone gets an MBA they will be able to head a hospital not a department. Why lie, most MBAs will just leave the health sector altogether to pursue more lucrative careers in another industry. Second, I first thought it was just the foreign BS PT's that had this entrepreneurship phobia, which is un-American. I first blamed it on their submissive nature and secondly, on the fact that they went straight into a 4 year program out of high school. Hence, have no business knowhow beyond a high school student. However, it is truly discouraging to see American PTs talking about how hard or impossible it is to open a practice. Let me tell you something, I live in Florida where there are about 15 home health agencies per square mile. Everyone that I have worked for was making millions, most just offering to send people with no certifications (home health aides) in to babysit and then they charge insurance. The home health agencies also send in PTs and PTAs as well as nurses. The funny thing is, I have never met one health care professional who owned one. All of these PTs and BSNs were working for, in many cases, a high school drop out. The owners of these businesses are often stupid and opened the businesses on loans or with minimal capital. They are making ridiculous amounts of money off peoples service that went to school 7-8 years longer than they did. This is why I am a business major. There is a key element missing in health care professionals, business backbone. Every PT I talk to, "O, it will be to much paperwork, or too much liability". They sit there submissively taking what the owner decides to ration for them, when they are the ones that generated the money in the first place. Its called an LLC people, a limited liability corporation. The complete lack of business knowhow and lack of drive amongst these students is pathetic. There needs to be at least a year of additional required business courses offered to all health majors. It will cut out these uneducated middlemen who are making a killing and driving cost up and productivity down. I want to be a PT, just not like the ones I am meeting. I want to help people and run my own business and it can succeed and it is not hard. Get some business education and let me know whats up!! Business Major All The Way To PT

Please see my previous post. Intelligence has nothing to do with anything. There are a lot of overeducated idiots walking around in this world, just look at Washington DC, but I digress. Again, all I am doing is trying to offer ADVICE, not give the only path to happiness/success. If you want to own a clinic, then go for it. It isn't as easy as you think. I know many PT's who own clinics and their hours long, but they love it. If that is what makes you happy, then hurrah. Maybe I'll be one of those mindless drones and work for you one of these days. Also, please get off your high horse about how stupid others are. That kind of attitude will get you into trouble.

Do you guys feel that the switch to DPT will mean more earning power in the future? It seems to me that there will be a serious shortage of PT's soon if compensation does not follow level of education, which means more leverage for you guys. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys feel that the switch to DPT will mean more earning power in the future? It seems to me that there will be a serious shortage of PT's soon if compensation does not follow level of education, which means more leverage for you guys. Thoughts?

Unknown. In my part of the country, it is rumored that PT's are expected to take a 10-20% paycut come October due to changes brought on by "healthcare reform". That just may be my company. However, given the expected increase in millions of baby-boomers using medicare...which is broke, does not bode well for an increase in pay. Remember, a salary does not always reflect the degree attained...just look at sales jobs. Also, insurance companies usually follow medicare reimbursements pretty closely since medicare/the government is the largest puchaser of healthcare. If they aren't reimbursing well, then don't expect insurance companies to either.

To answer your question re: pay. There are 2 ways to make money. First, increase the reimbursement for serviced rendered. Second, see more patients. The first won't likely happen and with regard to the second, there is a finite amount of time you have to see patients without sacrificing quality of care. Yes, you can see 4 patients per hour, but at what cost to quality? These two factors will always limit your salary. That is, if you don't hire PTA's to see more patients for you.

The only way PTs will be able to secure higher pay is through successful lobbying in Washington and at the state level...thus, every PT that feels that they are underpaid or don't have the autonomy they should have, should support the lobbying body of the profession, the APTA. The only reason why the APTA has not been as successful as we'd like is because the organizations lobbying against them are stronger (financially). The reality is, when considering the advancements in rehabilitation medicine over the past few decades, the reflected changes in the DPT curriculum, and the growing number of highly educated, qualified PTS, we deserve more. The main reason the APTA isn't getting more is because if they do, chiros and MDs will lose business. In the end, if its all about the patient, everything the APTA is lobbying for should be easily secured...but sadly, it is very apparent that the reality of the patient condition is manipulated by whichever organization is lobbying.

All we can do is support the APTA, and take part in its advocacy efforts...although I do not agree with EVERYTHING they do, they are still our representing body. If you don't like what they are focusing on, then be vocal and attempt to change it...don't just ignore them.

All we can do is support the APTA, and take part in its advocacy efforts...although I do not agree with EVERYTHING they do, they are still our representing body. If you don't like what they are focusing on, then be vocal and attempt to change it...don't just ignore them.

Amen to that! I have been working as a PT Aide for 2 years and start PT school this fall. I work for a large corporation that has not rewarded/taken care of their employees since I have been there. From my observations and insight from the therapists I work with, I am concerned with the route PT is taking and plan to join the APTA as soon as soon as possible! How much does it cost to join now?

I've witnessed quality of care decrease in order to squeeze as many patients as possible. This seems to be happening in a variety of clinics not just mine. My company cares more about the numbers than the patients and the therapists that treat them. Something needs to be done and I plan to become more educated/involved as I begin my career as a PT.

Thank you for your voice and I hope others have heard it as well!

Amen to that! I have been working as a PT Aide for 2 years and start PT school this fall. I work for a large corporation that has not rewarded/taken care of their employees since I have been there. From my observations and insight from the therapists I work with, I am concerned with the route PT is taking and plan to join the APTA as soon as soon as possible! How much does it cost to join now?

I've witnessed quality of care decrease in order to squeeze as many patients as possible. This seems to be happening in a variety of clinics not just mine. My company cares more about the numbers than the patients and the therapists that treat them. Something needs to be done and I plan to become more educated/involved as I begin my career as a PT.

Thank you for your voice and I hope others have heard it as well!

Congrats for getting into PT school. Wait till you start as your school may pay for it (or you will at least get a student discount). The cost is a ton less when a student so take advantage of it!

Hello to all,

I am a PT with almost four years of experience and I know this is a growing concern among many of the interns and students that I meet in the hospital. I STRONGLY AGREE with what ericdopt has recommended. I graduated with a MSPT degree and was only $20K in debt total including both undergraduate and graduate degrees. However, I also worked 2 jobs during undergrad and saved up for PT school working several years as a rehab aid - I took a few years off before going to grad school.
During the first semester of grad school my class received financial advising and all of the advisors strongly recommended that as a GENERAL RULE OF THUMB A STUDENT SHOULD NEVER GO INTO MORE DEBT THAN WHAT HE/SHE CAN EXPECT TO MAKE IN HIS/HER FIRST YEAR OF EMPLOYMENT. Basically most of us just laughed because many of my friends had already exceeded that figure since most of us expected to start in the $55K to 65K fresh out of grad school. So the bottom line is that unfortunately PT programs are very expensive and I am glad that I did what I did but if I had to do it all over again and take out around $100k or more in debt I would not do it.

I am one of those very busy PTs who works full-time in an outpatient ortho hospital and I also work PRN at a private nursing home so my total combined income is always a six digit figure and I am doing this to pay my student loans/mortgage off quickly but this is very challenging at times and can really burn out any PT. Of course one can always live a very simple lifestyle after graduating from PT school, however, also consider that you went to school for a long time and many new grads typically are in the beginning stages of either getting married or considering starting a family in a few years and many need new cars or have to also pay off credit card debt, etc. So it may seem that it would be very easy to live cheap and pay so much more towards your loans but believe me as a beginning PT unexpected things always happen with one's car, house, health, etc. and it's always nice to have a little in savings for emergency purposes.
So as my simple pearls of wisdom I would recommend to all future PT/OT/rehab students to try and set a limit on the amount of debt that you are willing to acrue and try to stick with it - for me I would not want to go over $80K for both undergrad and graduate school and I know with the DPT degree that is extremely hard but I lived at home with my parents during undergrad and worked 2 jobs during undergrad and paid for all of my undergrd myself so that way I had no loans accruing interest during grad school.
I would also recommend to students who are contemplating various careers in allied health to also considers technical colleges that offer associate degrees or universities that offer B.S. degrees in allied health fields such as diagnostic medical sonography which usually has a really good return on your college investment (I know because I actually got very concerned with the amount of debt that I would possibly acrue with grad school and was accepted into an advanced placement medical sonography program but then decided that PT would be a better fit for me).
Lastly, I do not want to sound pessimistic but I feel that sometimes students do not fully realize the impact of accruing an enormous mountain of debt in a field that will typically pay anywhere from 60 to 70K starting out. Overall PT is a very rewarding field and you always have a day job which is really nice for raising a family and helping others succeed and heal is very self-rewarding in an of itself. One last piece of advice is to try and take the cheapest route to getting your PT degree because the bottom line is that an employer will pay you the same regardless of where you got your degree and as long as new grads choose work environments that foster a strong atmosphere of mentoring and team work you should excel.

Good luck to all who are considering a career in rehab but truly make sure this is what you want because a successful student truly needs a strong desire to become a PT or OT because this will be the fuel you need to keep you going for all of those late nights studying in grad school.

Josh, PT

I graduated December 2007 from USA, started working February 2008 at $59k as well as Loan Reimbursement. I worked my ass off, and by December 2008 was promoted to Clinic Director of one of the clinics for the company. I also work 1-3 days/month at a local hospital doing PRN work making $47/hr and that gets me about an extra 8-12k per year. I then negotiated a raise based on getting my MTC. So last year I earned just under $100k in just my 2nd full year as a PT, and I plan on making over $100k this year.

I have approximately $110k in loans from PT school, and then another $20k from my undergraduate work. I pay approximately $1k/month in student loans, as well as a $1500/month mortgage, and $500/month car payment. I also put in about $500/month towards my 401(k). I do all this while my wife makes about $12-15k/year (grocery bill, gas, etc), and I live comfortably.

I feel as if I do well for myself, but I have worked hard to get where I'm at. I understand that I do have a lot of debt, but I'm so satisfied w/ my profession choice, I love working (doesn't feel like work) and don't mind working 50 hours/week to make sure I have the income I want.

If you're worried about what you're going to make, then maybe you don't understand a couple of things: 1) how satisfying this profession is, and 2) you can make as much as you really want to make as the need for PTs is very large.

A traveling PT (yes you can stay in a particular area, if there is need) can make $90k+ right out of school. Do this for a few years and you should be able to really make a dent in your student loans.

Please feel free to message me if you have specific questions.

Ryan, DPT, MTC

Last edited:
Yes I can because it is simply what I want to do. College education cost is a problem in general. The DPT cost is a negative effect of the PT profession in general improving its standing in the medical community. Since medical reform seems inevitable PTs are putting themselves in a good position for the future. Where as other medical professions may be taking a larger hit in pay because PT is becoming a more educated field I don't see their hit being too negative and the 800 pound elephant in the room (direct access) seems a when not an if right now leaving PTs standing improving in a system that seems to be shrinking.

You should figure you'll take home between 65-70% of your gross pay, after taxes, medical, retirement, etc. So if you make $60k, you're looking at taking home $36-42k, or $3000-3500/month.

If you learn how to budget money properly, and don't live outside of your lifestyle then you'll be fine. I think a lot of PTs get carried away, because they're like "I'm DR. such and such" and they feel like they can live the "MD lifestyle."

We're PTs, not MDs. So if you want to make over $100k then you're going to have to work for it.

We're PTs, not MDs. So if you want to make over $100k then you're going to have to work for it.

Wait, MDs don't have to work for their compensation? ;)

work is work. life is life. work is a large part of life. the goal is to enjoy life. thus, the goal is to enjoy work.

Wait, MDs don't have to work for their compensation? ;)

work is work. life is life. work is a large part of life. the goal is to enjoy life. thus, the goal is to enjoy work.
his point is....the laziest MD will make A LOT more than most PTs.

his point is....the laziest MD will make A LOT more than most PTs.

Its not that simple...I guarantee that a surgeon who puts in 20 hours a week and pulls in half a million a year, still put in a good deal of time and effort building his reputation. A lazy MD will not be making the type of money you think...even worse, they probably won't be practicing for long as the a death secondary to their lack of effort will quickly lead to a revocation of their license.

I am not saying the salaries are equivalent per unit worked, but don't make it seem that you can strike it rich in medicine so easily... we all have to work for what we make.

You should figure you'll take home between 65-70% of your gross pay, after taxes, medical, retirement, etc. So if you make $60k, you're looking at taking home $36-42k, or $3000-3500/month.

If you learn how to budget money properly, and don't live outside of your lifestyle then you'll be fine. I think a lot of PTs get carried away, because they're like "I'm DR. such and such" and they feel like they can live the "MD lifestyle."

I meant "if you're wanting to make over $100k as a PT, you're going to have to work for it"

Sorry for not being clear. Obviously you could probably work 20 hr/week as an MD and make over $100k, but I'm excluding all other professionals because honestly I have no clue how much other professionals make.

This is a question I often struggle with as I'm taking my pre-reqs but I'm technically single (engaged but no set date, not planning to have kids in like the next 5 yrs). I've heard/read of people doing PT while balancing family life/other work and then feeling absolutely fulfilled afterwards but they never talk about the debt. I imagine they work harder than most PTs though since they do have to support a family and like rcheeley said and like for most things in life, there's going to be a lot of work involved.

Check out the post "Good Story" and everyone relax and stop worrying. Don't worry about Obamacare because I predict that most of it will be repealed or not funded when the Dems lose control of Congress in November.

Check out the post "Good Story" and everyone relax and stop worrying. Don't worry about Obamacare because I predict that most of it will be repealed or not funded when the Dems lose control of Congress in November.

The republicans can repeal the HC law, but what about Medicare? That's the real wildcard. Since it would be political suicide for either political party to phase out Medicare, many believe that it will simply have to go belly up before a restructuring occurs. Since private insurance generally uses Medicare as a guide for pricing reimbursement for services, what would the new reimbursement construct look like?

I have lost all faith in our political structure. I wonder when the people of this country will realize that both parties by and large are not working in their best interest. My guess is when it's too late. The issue really shouldn't be are you a registered Democrat or Republican. It should be more like are you for bankers running this country or the citizens. Unfortunately the bankers have been running the show behind the scenes for years and now it looks as if they have their big break and may capitalize on it.

It should have been frontline news that the American citizens helped bail out Greece with unearned tax dollars from unelected officials at the Federal Reserve. I wonder why we heard so little about it. Could it be because we wern't suppose to? I have a feeling we are in for a bumpy ride, and I'm not convinced the Republican party is going to ride in on their white horse and save the day.

I am considering becoming a PT. I work alongside PT's and Ot's and have for the last few years. I am about to transfer from a community college to a four year. I am just looking at the return on investment and I am concerned. All the PT's I know talk about how they envy the PTA's making just a few dollars less than them an hour ( I would never be a PTA) with none of the concern or stress. In Florida the cost of a DPT degree approaches if not exceeds 100k. Beyond physical therapy being a rewarding career can anyone justify spending nearly 100k on a degree that pays the same as a 2 year RN initially? I have met some DPT's who earn 25-26 dollars per hour in the hospital setting in Florida. I have a family and I guess I am just concerned that pursuing this degree will leave me under a mountain of debt with no clear prospect of making truly good money. Could someone clarify to me the financial reason it is smart to pursue DPT or why it might not be.

Friend of mine is 8 years out of DPT school, just got offered to be head of PT department making 150k + bonuses. Given he came out of school 80k in debt, not sure how long took him to pay it off, but he is in his very early 30's and is about to make some serious JACK!:thumbup: