Can a physically disabled person be a good OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GH253

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do the physical demands of OT compare to those of medicine? I have arthritis and, although I'm not disabled, I have obvious physical limitations which suck. Would OT be a possible alternative to medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm done some shadowing, and not all OT work is physical rehab. There are a lot of psychosocial aspects to it too, such as working with drug addicts, working with autism, working in schools for kids with learning disabilities, or working with traumatic brain injury (TBI) patients. They require no physical work. I am sure there are more areas of OT that you can look into also.

I don't know where your arthritis affects you the most. If it is in the knees or back, then med school can and residency can get tough for most specialties with all the standing around; with the hands, it would get tough if you pick a speciality with lots of procedures. But there are many specialities you could probably look into such as Psych. You should pose that question to the Allo forum.