Can a PT provide preventative advice without a Dr referral in a NDA state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxplanck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a PT provide preventative advice without a Dr referral in a non direct access state? (exercise recommendation and instruction, instruction in self-massage techniques, stretching recommendation and instruction)

How about preventative treatment? (massage, other hands on therapies)

(I'm not sure whether I've gotten the distinction between advice and treatment [if there is any difference] correct here, if so then please correct me.)

I realize that this is not much of what a PT's business flow is, but I have a strong interest in doing pro bono work, for which there is a large need of this type of service

Members don't see this ad.

They are 2 different things. Anyone can give advice as long as they are qualified (coaches, yoga instructors, personal trainers, etc all give preventative advice). DA or NDA, doesn't matter. You're considered an expert and are qualified to do this.

Preventative Treatment, you will probably need the referral. Unfortunately, insurance most likely won't cover this and the patient will have to pay out of pocket. If you plan to do this, make sure you have personal malpractice insurance.