Can a resident order labs for a relative? What about imaging?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissAmanda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been discussion on residents and prescribing simple medications outside the work of their residency program - the consensus is that this should not be done. I am wondering is the same true for ordering a lab for a friend or relative. If, for example, a friend does not have insurance to see a primary care doc, but wants to know if she is still anemic, could a resident friend order the lab for her? Either way, she would pay out of pocket for the actual lab draw. Same with imaging - should residents not order imaging outside of his/her program? What could happen?

Members don't see this ad.

Legally? Probably. But ethically? No. Don't do it. Don't go down that path.

Do something better: help her get insurance and find her a new PCP. If she doesn't have insurance and doesn't qualify, find her a free clinic.

There has been discussion on residents and prescribing simple medications outside the work of their residency program - the consensus is that this should not be done. I am wondering is the same true for ordering a lab for a friend or relative. If, for example, a friend does not have insurance to see a primary care doc, but wants to know if she is still anemic, could a resident friend order the lab for her? Either way, she would pay out of pocket for the actual lab draw. Same with imaging - should residents not order imaging outside of his/her program? What could happen?
So there's an abnormality on the imaging and I call you with the critical result. What do you do now?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, basically the issue is if anything comes up really out of whack (like your anemic friend has LEUKEMIA), you're then stuck with figuring out how to follow it up and get him or her care, because if your name is on the order you're the responsible provider. Basically if you don't have a good follow up plan you shouldn't necessarily be looking for things. And while you probably wouldn't get in trouble with the law or lose your license, your program director might have a little bit of an opinion on practicing medicine outside of residency without running it by the program first.

Yeah, basically the issue is if anything comes up really out of whack (like your anemic friend has LEUKEMIA), you're then stuck with figuring out how to follow it up and get him or her care, because if your name is on the order you're the responsible provider. Basically if you don't have a good follow up plan you shouldn't necessarily be looking for things. And while you probably wouldn't get in trouble with the law or lose your license, your program director might have a little bit of an opinion on practicing medicine outside of residency without running it by the program first.

That and at least in the EMRs I've worked in, technically any order I enter as a resident is under the authority of my supervising attending. If we order outpatient imaging or labs we actually have to have the attending's name in the order form. So trying to order imaging myself for someone (without having a supervising attending) would be a no go.

This is the kind of stuff that can jeopardize your medical license and/or your residency. Do not do it.

I don't know if other states are like this - but in NY there should have been clinical care established or a clinical encounter which has/will occur when you order labs/meds/xrays..
Do they really check it - not unless you trigger a red flag. Ordering opiates, especially for yourself - yes - they will check. Ordering your friend a proair+Medrol dose pak - no one cares. Same with xrays, no one really cares if you order a CXR - but try to order a shoulder MRI for your friends shoulder pain, now they start paying attention (I suppose unless you pay in straight cash)

But you do risk if things do not go according to plan,... Your friend w/ asthma who you just gave steroids became septic because of underlaying pneumonia, your CXR shows diffuse pulmonary edema/congestion, your friend with sinusitis had ..

Also where would they send the results? What if they sent the results to your residency clinic, they can't find the pt on file, and a bored office worker decides to find out why was it sent "on accident"?

To summarize: why put yourself at jeopardy so someone can save a few bucks and which is also not the best path for your friend. to be REALLY helpful, find clinics for your friend that have a sliding pay scale - lots of the residency clinics, "Federal Health centers", etc do have a sliding scale for self pay..

Last edited:
To me isolated labs and imaging is a lot worse than meds. I prescribe meds, almost exclusively antibiotics, for family. But an actual work up without established care seems way worse, and riskier.

Let's say you do find something worth treating. You'd want to enroll your friend in insurance, help them sign up for Obamacare, right? Well now they have a prexisting condition, thanks to your dabbling, and their premiums just shot up.

That and at least in the EMRs I've worked in, technically any order I enter as a resident is under the authority of my supervising attending. If we order outpatient imaging or labs we actually have to have the attending's name in the order form. So trying to order imaging myself for someone (without having a supervising attending) would be a no go.

This is the kind of stuff that can jeopardize your medical license and/or your residency. Do not do it.

I think that's something that might vary state to state, but most states and specialty boards and state medical boards etc. kind of frown on doing anything for anyone (including meds, imaging, labs, etc) without having a formal doctor/ patient relationship with them.

To me isolated labs and imaging is a lot worse than meds. I prescribe meds, almost exclusively antibiotics, for family. But an actual work up without established care seems way worse, and riskier.

Let's say you do find something worth treating. You'd want to enroll your friend in insurance, help them sign up for Obamacare, right? Well now they have a prexisting condition, thanks to your dabbling, and their premiums just shot up.
No such thing as pre-existing conditions anymore btw.

I thought you couldn't be denied coverage for preexisting conditions, but you would have higher rates.

Getting back on track:

As a resident, ordering labs/meds/anything for family or friends is a really, really bad idea. Most of the time, nothing bad will happen and you'll be fine -- so on that basis, it seems harmless. However, several very bad outcomes are possible -- both usually triggered by a bad event. The person has an allergic reaction to whatever was prescribed. The person gives their med to someone else, who has a bad reaction. The test you ordered is very abnormal, triggering some sort of review. or the test finds some serious problem, which now needs follow up -- and that physician decides to point out to your PD what you've done.

In any of these cases:

1. You may havd a training license, if so everything you do MUST be supervised or you are practicing without a license. You can lose your medical license for this, and that will result in you losing your residency position.
2. Your PD simply decides to fire you because you treated a patient without a doctor/patient relationship.
3. You get sued for malpractice, and doscover that your insurance doesn't cover you because you were acting outside your job. This is key -- your medmal insurance only covers you while you are at work. If you treat a family member on your day off (or "off the books") you are probably not covered.

You may say that getting sued for malpractice for ordering some omeprazole or amoxicillin is unlikely, and you'd be right. But there are plenty of stories -- Patient with two young children gets a script for Amox. Takes it and has an anaphylactic reaction. Either they become so disabled they can no longer work, or they die. Either way, family is underinsured and is financially screwed. They decide to sue you -- why not, because it's only the insurance company paying, right? There have been stories where the patient likes the doctor, but does so simply because they need the money to care for themselves / their family and feel they have no choice. Or, if the patient dies, the spouse may not care if they ruin your life.

If you're a fully licensed physician, it's still a really bad idea. Medical boards have disciplined physicians for this. If your "patient off the books" complains, you will lose. No amount of saying you were trying to help will suffice -- in that case they will tell you that you should have made an appointment for the patient, taken a history, examined them, treated them, documented it, and then not billed them. Although #2 goes away, you can still have BoM or MedMal problems.

I make this really clear to all incoming interns. No prescriptions, no labs, no orders for family or friends. No exceptions. My pager is on 24/7. If there is a need, call me or talk to anyone in the program -- we will fix the situation for you.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're a fully licensed physician, it's still a really bad idea. Medical boards have disciplined physicians for this. If your "patient off the books" complains, you will lose. No amount of saying you were trying to help will suffice -- in that case they will tell you that you should have made an appointment for the patient, taken a history, examined them, treated them, documented it, and then not billed them. Although #2 goes away, you can still have BoM or MedMal problems.
I keep a locked drawer in my desk at home for this exact purpose.