Can a school de-accept you for reasons other than bad grades/behavior?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

askj2332

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to a good medical school about 2 1/2 weeks ago, a school that is much better than many of the schools that rejected me. I'm still trying to figure this situation out actually; I really hope this school didn't "accidentally" offer me an acceptance when they didn't mean to, because it seems rather bizarre that a highly ranked school should consider me worthy while much lower ranked one's rejected me outright (and no, I have no connections to the school that accepted me).

Anyway, I'm worried that now that the school can see I wasn't accepted at any other medical schools, they're going to reconsider their decision and take back their acceptance. "Why wasn't this kid accepted at any other schools?" or "What did we seem to miss that they didn't?"

Is this a possibility? Do medical schools have to provide adequate reason for reversing an acceptance, or do they carte blanche to do whatever they want without explanation? I know you can lose your acceptance if you fail to maintain a certain GPA, or if you do something bad legally or under the code of your school, but what about other things? Help, because I'm really happy about being accepted to this school, and I don't want to end up losing it! I'm afraid of celebrating, and then being let down so terribly when I find out everything was a mistake. And I don't want to email the admissions office saying "Is my acceptance genuine?" to make them second guess their decision.

Members don't see this ad.

No chill out. They can't take back their acceptance unless you can't comply with their standards post acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
I know you can lose your acceptance if you fail to maintain a certain GPA, or if you do something bad legally or under the code of your school, but what about other things?
If they discover falsified information on your application, you can get a rescission of acceptance anytime before or during med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
take these:
chill-pill-soap.jpeg

now go celebrate!! congrats on your acceptance! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't it early for imposter syndrome?

You did interview there, right? Clearly, someone saw something they connected with. Embrace it. Own it. Be it --

I got accepted to a good medical school about 2 1/2 weeks ago, a school that is much better than many of the schools that rejected me. I'm still trying to figure this situation out actually; I really hope this school didn't "accidentally" offer me an acceptance when they didn't mean to, because it seems rather bizarre that a highly ranked school should consider me worthy while much lower ranked one's rejected me outright (and no, I have no connections to the school that accepted me).

Anyway, I'm worried that now that the school can see I wasn't accepted at any other medical schools, they're going to reconsider their decision and take back their acceptance. "Why wasn't this kid accepted at any other schools?" or "What did we seem to miss that they didn't?"

Is this a possibility? Do medical schools have to provide adequate reason for reversing an acceptance, or do they carte blanche to do whatever they want without explanation? I know you can lose your acceptance if you fail to maintain a certain GPA, or if you do something bad legally or under the code of your school, but what about other things? Help, because I'm really happy about being accepted to this school, and I don't want to end up losing it! I'm afraid of celebrating, and then being let down so terribly when I find out everything was a mistake. And I don't want to email the admissions office saying "Is my acceptance genuine?" to make them second guess their decision.

Some schools make admission contingent upon finishing any outstanding degree programs. So even if you have a 4.0, but don't graduate (e.g. graduate school, post bacc, etc.), then that could be a problem.

I also suppose that if your credit report is horrible and you cannot obtain a cosigner for a Grad PLUS loan, then that might be problematic if you aren't independently wealthy. In fairness, they would probably allow you to still withdraw from the school rather than outright rescind the offer, but I imagine it could happen.

Unless you cheated or lied your way into medical school, you are completely fine. Don't worry it's a natural feeling to feel like you are.