Can Ach cross BBB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

path800

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Met an UW q asking what cannot be relived after organophosphate poisoning pt treated with atropine. And the answer is N Ach R's effect. But I am wondering some CNS effect caused by M1 R, eg seizure, can be relived by atropine?

Sorry the title is actually asking can atropine cross BBB?

Members don't see this ad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropine

Look at its chemical structure -- do you think it can cross? I would tell you, but I think it's an important thing to understand for boards and beyond, what qualities of compounds allow or don't allow it to cross the BBB.

How would it possibly have an effect on pupillary function if it couldn't cross?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I checked again. Seem atropine can cross BBB.
I am not that chemical person but the atropine chemical structure contains a double bond (=O) which may change the polarity of the molecule.

I checked again. Seem atropine can cross BBB.
I am not that chemical person but the atropine chemical structure contains a double bond (=O) which may change the polarity of the molecule.

Or we can just chalk it up to the fact that it's small.

Honestly, what specific hypothetical molecules will and won't cross the BBB is not within the scope of what we need to know. Generally, the ones that can are small and nonpolar. However, think about the side effects of drugs - if a drug has neuro side effects, that often means it's crossing.