Can an applicant have too much research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateChip>Oreos

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is a thing. Interested in general surgery right now and have a few abstracts already accepted/have many more in the works. Is too much ever a thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically, no.

However when someone has a glut of middle author papers, I'm more likely to probe the details when interviewing. I do know that for many, the volume is impressive. But when I'm ranking people, I'm much more interested in quality. It's always great when an applicant can describe a project they took from beginning to end (especially if they helped develop the original question).

Also, if there are a bunch of abstracts with no manuscripts, I'm going to ask a question about "why". Not because I think it's a disqualifier, but because the answer can be informative.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically, no.

However when someone has a glut of middle author papers, I'm more likely to probe the details when interviewing. I do know that for many, the volume is impressive. But when I'm ranking people, I'm much more interested in quality. It's always great when an applicant can describe a project they took from beginning to end (especially if they helped develop the original question).

Also, if there are a bunch of abstracts with no manuscripts, I'm going to ask a question about "why". Not because I think it's a disqualifier, but because the answer can be informative.
When you say abstracts do you mean conference abstracts without a manuscript or what?

Also- appreciate the response.

When you say abstracts do you mean conference abstracts without a manuscript or what?

Also- appreciate the response.
Yes, exactly. When it comes to surgically-adjacent conferences, it's really not that hard to get an abstract on anymore. A "full" podium presentation (vs. a "quick shot"), is a plus but sometimes hard to tell that from looking at a CV.

So an abstract only tells me so much. Being able to get a project to the finish line and have it published takes substantially more effort. It's not uncommon for a project to stall for a variety of reasons, and so that's why it's not a disqualifier. But it is helpful to see if people have insight into why the project didn't make it to a published manuscript. At the med school stage, I'm just looking for someone who is motivated, resourceful, and understands the process (and pitfalls).

Reactions: 1 user
no, when we review applicants, we factor in how mich research pubs they have in the way we rank them

Reactions: 1 user
Even the most cynical way to view research, still recognizes that the applicant had to learn something to get it done, and put time into it.

I could imagine in a non research heavy residency they could look with some disdain on applicants with too much research. I.e. They might think your goals and what you want from a program don't line up with what they have to offer. But beyond that, can't see research being bad

no. as long as the applicant is humble and not bragging about the research it can only help. how could it not, you know?