Can an excellent connection secure a spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seals44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize for my relative ignorance of MD/PhD programs, as I have only recently very heavily considered this path. I am pretty well versed in the application process for just regular MD programs, and know that "connections" are entirely useless in getting into these programs. However, many of my graduate student friends seem to portray research as a place where connections really can make or break you.

My question is this: can an excellent connection land me a spot in a specific MD/PhD program? Ie, if a specific well-regarded PI asks for me to be admitted as his graduate student, would I have very high chances at an interview/acceptance?

The situation is as follows. My current PI is world-famous at what they do and HIGHLY connected in their niche field. They think very highly of me, and would definitely give me a stellar rec. They would be willing to talk directly to the PI at the institution I want to do MD/PhD at (who is very established and friends with my current PI as well) and tell them to take me. I will have a first-author publication in the field, multiple posters at the national conference they both attend, etc. My stats are a bit low (3.68 sGPA, 3.81 cGPA, MCAT tbd as a humanities major), but these stats are actually a decent bit higher than the average at the MD program for the institution I want to do MD/PhD at (a state school I am not a resident of).

Members don't see this ad.

These things always matter a little bit, and how much they matter vary widely depending on the circumstances... the final decision is made by the admission committee, not by your PI. Different people have different institutional roles. Nothing is ever guaranteed until a contract is signed. Even if your PI "really likes you", in the large picture your role is fairly limited, and they won't put too much stake on the line to advocate for you. And even after a contract is signed if portions are deemed a breach you can still instigate a lawsuit--which is actually not uncommon in high level jobs--and these lawsuits are invariably settled out of court through prolonged negotiations. These are the rules of the game for our society--the sooner you understand this the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your PI is also the MSTP director it will matter a lot. If they have a heavy influence on the director or the program it will also matter a lot. If they have little connection to the program it will matter only as a good letter of rec from someone they know and respect. So all good.

Yes it matters a lot. Academia is all about social capital. Having a respected PI recommend you is huge since it speaks to your research abilities and will distinguish you from the thousands of other applicants.