Can APs be used for pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darmalee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do credits given as a result of AP exams count towards pre-reqs? And if so, do they expire? Because I somewhat remember something being said about the scores themselves expiring, but that was over six years ago, so I can't remember for sure. It seems like they should could towards pre-req completion, but I just wanted to make sure.

Members don't see this ad.

The policy on this differs by school. What I'm used to seeing, on average, with coastal schools (either coast) is that AP credit cannot be used for prereqs.

This is HIGHLY variable by school, and even by subject. For example, some schools say absolutely not, others say that if it appears as credit on your college transcript then its fine, and still others say that its ok for one subject but not another (ok for English, but not for bio, etc.).

Check out the MSAR (for allo's), read on school websites, and if you still can't find it, shoot them an email, or call their admissions office. It never hurts to ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is HIGHLY variable by school, and even by subject. For example, some schools say absolutely not, others say that if it appears as credit on your college transcript then its fine, and still others say that its ok for one subject but not another (ok for English, but not for bio, etc.).

Check out the MSAR (for allo's), read on school websites, and if you still can't find it, shoot them an email, or call their admissions office. It never hurts to ask!

But essentially, if I don't retake those classes, I am limiting myself on which schools would be available as options, right?

I don't think the scores expire, but it's a pain to get archived scores.
You're really limiting yourself on school selection if you don't retake the classes, unless you're using the AP credit to exempt freshman level classes so you can take upper level ones.

But essentially, if I don't retake those classes, I am limiting myself on which schools would be available as options, right?

Technically, yes. But look at it this way: there are somewhere around 130 allopathic schools and another almost 30 osteopathic ones. If you can afford to apply to all of them, then sure, this is an issue. If not, it would be much more worth your time and money to find out if its even necessary. I have AP English, History, and Economics credits that I've never had a problem with. So, get a narrowed down list of schools and find out if they take AP credit. Then you can either eliminate schools that don't, or if they are schools that you have your heart set on, then you can make the decision to retake those classes.

As others have said, each school has different policies. It seems like many schools will soon stop accepting AP scores, but many will take them if you take additional upper level sciences.

Have you taken the MCAT yet? If not, I would be more concerned about having a solid understanding of material you learned several years ago.

Have you taken the MCAT yet? If not, I would be more concerned about having a solid understanding of material you learned several years ago.

I've started to have the same thoughts...It's been over six years since I took those APs, and by the time I would be taking the MCAT it would be even longer. I guess I have more school left than I thought! Haha