Can EC Activities Compensate for Low Stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dbate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted advice on the role and importance of extracurriculars in the admissions process.

Everyone knows that MCAT/GPA are the most important factors, but can extracurricular activities compensate for defeciencies in MCAT and/or GPA? I am mostly asking because my GPA is low for most schools.

My stats can be check out from my mdapps profile.

Can the following ECs help offset them or are they just mediocre/average?

My Activities:

Community Service

Director of Urban Economic Development Center (3 years/6 hours per week)

1. Coordinated the MERIT program for the Mayor's office of the city. The MERIT program was a jobs placement program for recently released inmates. The center, under my guidance, identified employers that would be willing to hire the released inmates. In total, 10 ex-offenders were placed in jobs throughout the city.
2. Collaborated with the Community Action Agency (a local non-profit) to inform citizens of newly institute Earned Income Tax Credits implemented by the state. Provided information on the free tax services to local citizens.
3. Worked with a local Community Bank to develop financing schemes to assist local citizens in starting businesses in the city. Conducted assessments of public incentives and capital requirements that were applicable for individuals starting franchises in the city.

Note: Got a Letter of Recommendation from the lady I worked with to carry out the prison jobs placement program.

Clinical Experience

Clinic Administrator for Pediatric Endocrinology and Medical Genetics Clinic (2 years/ 6 hours per week)

1. Obtained insurance approval for medical procedurs for the patients (CT Scans, MRIs, etc)
2. Organized and maintained patients medical records and sent information to the patients PCPs
3. Recorded Patients blood glucose levels, height, weight and other vitals during evening clinics

Medical Professions Outreach Program (70 hours total, spread out over two years) –I think this is the weakest part of my app

1. Shadowed multiple physicians in different practice settings: Neurosurgery, Internal Medicine, ICU, Geriatrics, Ophthalmology, and Bariatric Surgery.
2. I am planning on getting g more clinical experience before applying (perhaps by working full time as an ER Scribe) –this would add about 200 hours to my app by the time I interview

Research

Tumor Metabolism Research (2 years/ 12 hours per week)

1. Conducted research on the intracellular metabolites that regulate the conversion of the PK-M2 kinase oligomeric states
2. Participated in Summer Technology and Research Scholars symposium on research (just school based, not a big deal)---Should I even mention this?
3. No publications because I basically spent 2 years optimizing a protocol.

Leadership and Miscellaneous

College Political Union (4 years/3 hours per week)

1. Served as Chairman of the Progressive Party, on the Executive Board of the organization, and as the Party's Chief whip (which is the officer responsible for recruiting new members)
2. Oversaw party debates and planned the resolutions for the union to debate

College Dormitory Governing Board, Study Break Coordinator and Peer Advisor (3 years/3 hours per week)

1. Organized study breaks for dorm including: Starting the annual Halloween Candy Study Break (my dorm gives me $300 bucks and I buy a ton of candy),Taco Bell Study breaks during finals, and Pizza Study breaks
2. Coordinated a class trip for the senior class to see the Phantom of the Opera on Broadway
3. Serve as a career peer advisor for pre-medical students in my dorm and serve as the "liason" between my dorm and the Undergraduate Career Services office

Journal of Public Health (Contributing Writer, 3 years/2 hours per week)—very sparse

1. Wrote articles on legislation relating to public health, analyzing their impact from a political and economic perspective

Summer Activities:

Novartis Public Health Policy Internship in Brussels, Belgium (10 weeks, 40 hours per week)

1. Conducted statistical assessments of the impact of pending legislation in the European Parliament on healthcare delivery and pharmaceutical availability in Central and Eastern Europe
2. Analyzed the impact of tobacco regulations outlined in the Tobacco Products Directive Bill (a pending bill in the European Parliament) on malignancy incidence and cardiovascular disease in Eastern Europe
3. Drafted a position paper for the company advocating for Tobacco Cessation laws to be passed by the European Parliament

Houston Department of Health and Human Services Internship (10 weeks, 40 hours per week)

1. Led a team of 5 to create a plan to dispense medication to Houston's 37,934 impoverished elderly citizens using the Meals on Wheels delivery system in the event of a natural disaster
Note: The plan is currently the emergency medication delivery protocol for the city

2. Worked on an STD testing program called "Hip Hop for HIV" that provided concert tickets in exchange for participants getting tested for HIV. Over 200 people were tested for HIV, Chlamydia, and gonorrhea.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, I am unsure which ones I should list as my three most meaningful.

I am definitely going to include the Urban Economic Development Work, and Shadowing (I might combine the clinic duties with the shadowing into one).

For the third one, however, I am not sure.

I spent a considerable amount of time doing research, but I do not want to pursue any type of research in the future.

In my personal statement, I am talking about: 1) Clinic Work, 2) Urban Economic Development Work, and 3) Internship with the Houston Department of Health and Human Services.

My personal statement revolves around my experiences with low income communities, so all of the above are related to that. The clinic work applies because a considerable number of the residents of the city where my school is located are impoverished.

Members don't see this ad :)
well a 35 is in the top 10% among all test takers.

I know, but GPA represents 4 years of work. MCAT is only 4 hours. I am worried my GPA is going to hinder my chances at places such as Baylor and UT Southwestern.

Both of those schools have average GPAs around 3.8 :scared:

I know, but GPA represents 4 years of work. MCAT is only 4 hours. I am worried my GPA is going to hinder my chances at places such as Baylor and UT Southwestern.

Both of those schools have average GPAs around 3.8 :scared:

Possibly...but you don't need to go to a school like those to be a doctor or even gain admission to a top notch residency program. What do you call the guy who graduated last in his class in medical school again? Also, the MCAT is more than 4 hours...it's all the stuff you've been working on for the last few years as well as a comprehensive review of the content and practice tests etc. Many schools consider the MCAT score the MOST important admissions factor, more important than GPA in fact.

Possibly...but you don't need to go to a school like those to be a doctor or even gain admission to a top notch residency program. What do you call the guy who graduated last in his class in medical school again? Also, the MCAT is more than 4 hours...it's all the stuff you've been working on for the last few years as well as a comprehensive review of the content and practice tests etc. Many schools consider the MCAT score the MOST important admissions factor, more important than GPA in fact.

I certainly hope that is true! :)

I know any medical school will do just fine, but those are the two I am most interested in attending. My other top choice is UT San Antonio (which I would love to get accepted into).

But do you think my ECs are decent. Are there any areas that I need to improve?

How did the director job only require 6 hrs a week?

That is averaged.

It is a student run organization so we only meet around class schedules. The economic development center is one part of a larger public policy oriented organization.

The executive board for the entire organization meets for 1-2 hours each week. My center meets for 2 hours a week. And then the planning and such for the meetings and scheduling things takes up about another 2 hours per week.

When things get around crunch time (i.e. the projects come to a close), then there is a much greater time requirement.

I devote 6 hours every week of the year and I think that is reasonable because I also have to spend 10-12 hours in lab, and have a butt load of other activities to do (not to mention school work).

OP, you're an AA with an only slightly below average GPA for top schools from an HYP and a 35 MCAT. Apply everywhere

OP, you're an AA with an only slightly below average GPA for top schools from an HYP and a 35 MCAT. Apply everywhere

I'm not including my ethnicity when I apply (because of personal reasons I don't want to discuss), so I won't get the URM bump. I only include my ethnicity on my mdapps profile because alot of people on this site hold negative beliefs about the mcat qualifications of minorities.

I am asking about the ECs because I know everything needs to be in order.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are not low. Apply broadly and you will get multiple interviews. I know you don't want to pull the URM card but once you interview it will be kind of obvious.

Your stats are not low. Apply broadly and you will get multiple interviews. I know you don't want to pull the URM card but once you interview it will be kind of obvious.

I know. But I heard that once you get to the interview, then your stats are competitive regardless.

Do you think my ECs are sufficient, though? Are there areas that I could improve?

Do you think my ECs are sufficient, though? Are there areas that I could improve?

Your ECs are more than sufficient. You've got research, clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, and leadership. You are in great shape.

Your ECs are more than sufficient. You've got research, clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, and leadership. You are in great shape.

Thanks! This process is so competitive that I am getting worried.

I really want to go to UT Southwestern or Baylor (bc I am from Texas), but my stats are too low for those schools. That is why I wondered if ECs could compensate.

Pretty dumb not to include your race in my opinion. You've been black your whole life, and I'm sure it has played at least some tiny role in who you are. Why not list it? Could be the difference between going to Harvard for free or paying to go to a middle tier. Just my opinion, but to each their own though. Good luck, I suspect you'll be okay regardless.

Pretty dumb not to include your race in my opinion. You've been black your whole life, and I'm sure it has played at least some tiny role in who you are. Why not list it? Could be the difference between going to Harvard for free or paying to go to a middle tier. Just my opinion, but to each their own though. Good luck, I suspect you'll be okay regardless.

Being a doctor has been my goal since I was a child, and I've worked incredibly hard to achieve it. It means alot to me to gain this goal on my merits.

Besides, I've already been to an Ivy league school and they are totally overrated.

Coupled with the fact that the "prestige" of your medical school doesn't matter, I see no reason to go to Harvard over a mid tier school. At least at the midtier school, I would know I earned it.

Nope. We get plenty of applicants with high scores and good ECs.

I wanted advice on the role and importance of extracurriculars in the admissions process.

Everyone knows that MCAT/GPA are the most important factors, but can extracurricular activities compensate for defeciencies in MCAT and/or GPA? I am mostly asking because my GPA is low for most schools.

Nope. We get plenty of applicants with high scores and good ECs.

Well I guess that answers it. Thanks a bunch!

Since you are a faculty member I would appreciate if you could offer any suggestions on areas that I could improve my application?

I know my gpa is poor (see my mdapps profile), but are there any other areas where I can improve?

Also, thanks alot! It is rare to come across someone extremely knowledgeable about the process, so any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Has your GPA gone down? You have this in your mdapps:

MCAT: BS 11, PS 12, VR 12, Q
Overall GPA: 3.57
Science GPA: 3.45
A downward trend is not good, but the MCAT is stellar, and being a URM definitely helps, so your situation is actually a lot better than you think it is, even for MD schools. Your ECs are out of this world...the only thing I'd add is actual patient contact experience. It doesn't have to be all hospital based. Try clinics, hospice, nursing homes, camps for ill/disabled children.

Definitely apply this cycle and see how it shakes out. I think you'll get some interviews.

Well I guess that answers it. Thanks a bunch!

Since you are a faculty member I would appreciate if you could offer any suggestions on areas that I could improve my application?

I know my gpa is poor (see my mdapps profile), but are there any other areas where I can improve?

Also, thanks alot! It is rare to come across someone extremely knowledgeable about the process, so any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

A downward trend is not good, but the MCAT is stellar, and being a URM definitely helps, so your situation is actually a lot better than you think it is, even for MD schools. Your ECs are out of this world...the only thing I'd add is actual patient contact experience. It doesn't have to be all hospital based. Try clinics, hospice, nursing homes, camps for ill/disabled children.

Definitely apply this cycle and see how it shakes out. I think you'll get some interviews.

He's allegedly not going to inform schools/AMCAS that he's URM, so take that into account.

My GPA has been pretty stable since freshman year. My science GPA actually increased from a low of 3.25 (B in orgo 1 and B- in physics 1, but I brought it up with a B+ in orgo 2 and an A in physics 2). The numbers I listed before were just rounded figures.

I am planning on working as an medical scribe for my year off. Would this count as direct contact experience?

And can I include the medical scribe work in my app, even though I plan to do it while applying to medical school?

Does it change the picture that my 35 was on a retake? My first MCAT I took in september was a 30 (11 PS, 11 VR, 8 BS). I took it again the following January and improved by 5 points.

Will it hurt that I took the MCAT twice? As a faculty member, what do you look for when you see a person has retaken the MCAT?

LizzyM (another faculty member) stated that retakes are frowned upon.

Does it change the picture that my 35 was on a retake? My first MCAT I took in september was a 30 (11 PS, 11 VR, 8 BS). I took it again the following January and improved by 5 points.

Will it hurt that I took the MCAT twice? As a faculty member, what do you look for when you see a person has retaken the MCAT?

LizzyM (another faculty member) stated that retakes are frowned upon.

I'm sure retaking the MCAT doesn't look as good as taking it once, but an improvement from 30 to 35 is awesome and something not many people do (retake a 30). So I wouldn't really be worried.

I think it's more concerning when people take it and get a 25 or something, then retake and get a 30 or above...ad comms can ask why they didn't prepare properly the first time if they were totally capable, etc...according to some anecdotal evidence here on SDN interviewers may ask those kinds of questions in an open-file interview.

You have a good MCAT. Your sGPA/cGPA are kindof on the low side. Med schools will most likely see that you made a poor choice of judgment in allowing your grades to slip to do ECs. Granted, your MCAT shows you know the sciences. You may want to take more science classes just to boost the sGPA, but I'm not sure how much help that'll be now.

I'm sure retaking the MCAT doesn't look as good as taking it once, but an improvement from 30 to 35 is awesome and something not many people do (retake a 30). So I wouldn't really be worried.

I think it's more concerning when people take it and get a 25 or something, then retake and get a 30 or above...ad comms can ask why they didn't prepare properly the first time if they were totally capable, etc...according to some anecdotal evidence here on SDN interviewers may ask those kinds of questions in an open-file interview.

I was actually one of those people. I crammed my content review into two weeks in order to take the last exam offered in 2012 (really stupid decision).

Luckily, being from texas there are a number of med schools that have fairly nice MCAT averages: Texas A&M, Texas Tech Lubbock, and Texas Tech El Paso have a 29 average.

In reality, I just want to be a MD. But a dream would be to go to UT Southwestern or Baylor =D

You have a good MCAT. Your sGPA/cGPA are kindof on the low side. Med schools will most likely see that you made a poor choice of judgment in allowing your grades to slip to do ECs. Granted, your MCAT shows you know the sciences. You may want to take more science classes just to boost the sGPA, but I'm not sure how much help that'll be now.

My grades are mostly poor because it's hard to beat the curve. The average is always a B+ and it's tough to get above it.

Unfortunately, this is my last semester in college and it doesn't look like my sGPA is going to improve much :(

Here's just hoping the adcoms will be kind.

My grades are mostly poor because it's hard to beat the curve. The average is always a B+ and it's tough to get above it.

Unfortunately, this is my last semester in college and it doesn't look like my sGPA is going to improve much :(

Here's just hoping the adcoms will be kind.

Yeah I know, it's hard. I'm a Texas resident as well and I'm very interested in BCM, or UT Southwestern. You have the research experience for both in my opinion. I just think the GPA is low for those schools. Are you taking a year off? I'm assuming since its your last semester you haven't applied for this cycle?

You have had a life experience that adcoms highly value but you are choosing not to include that on your application.

You may never get to show your face to the adcom if you aren't selected for interviews.

The hubris of taking the MCAT with poor preparation and then retaking will hurt... Better to take it once and get a 35 than to take it twice and have a 30 an 35 on the record. My school would average it and say "33".

Frankly, you are making a big mistake not to self-identify as URM.

If every high stats URM chooses to leave race/ethnicity blank, then what does that do to the stats for racial minorities? It leaves it with a pool of lower scoring applicants.

Yeah I know, it's hard. I'm a Texas resident as well and I'm very interested in BCM, or UT Southwestern. You have the research experience for both in my opinion. I just think the GPA is low for those schools. Are you taking a year off? I'm assuming since its your last semester you haven't applied for this cycle?

I'm taking a year off and I plan to work as a medical scribe in the ER. It doesn't pay much, but I have heard it is a great experience. Good luck in the app process!

You have had a life experience that adcoms highly value but you are choosing not to include that on your application.

You may never get to show your face to the adcom if you aren't selected for interviews.

The hubris of taking the MCAT with poor preparation and then retaking will hurt... Better to take it once and get a 35 than to take it twice and have a 30 an 35 on the record. My school would average it and say "33".

If every high stats URM chooses to leave race/ethnicity blank, then what does that do to the stats for racial minorities? It leaves it with a pool of lower scoring applicants.

First, I really appreciate your advice! You are far and away one of the most informed and helpful posters on SDN and it's great that you take so much time out of your busy day to help lowly premeds, haha.

In terms of the retake, is averaging the policy of most medical schools? Or do many tend to look at the most recent score?

In regards to ethnicity, I think people fail to realize how affirmative action actually effects minorities.

I really wish schools wouldn't use it. I understand that they want to diversify their student bodies, but at the end of the day, they just sow doubt amongst the medical community (and amongst URMs themselves) about their abilities.

How would you feel if an adcom essentially told you that people who look like you are not smart enough to get into medical school, so we are going to lower the bar for you? History matters in explaining the current situation, but at the end of the day, this is the take away message that affirmative action sends.

So not including my ethnicity may mean I don't get into Stanford or whatever. But I'd rather end up at Texas A&M and know I earned it through hard work than go to Harvard and constantly doubt myself.

I think adcoms and other non-URMs fail to see how much affirmative action actually hurts minorities themselves.

In terms of the retake, is averaging the policy of most medical schools? Or do many tend to look at the most recent score?

The adcom I asked at UT-Houston said that they look at the highest MCAT score, but that was a couple of years ago and I believe they've been trying to restructure their admissions process since then (I did some research there and my PI would complain about the changes every so often...).

Your stats+ECs look good enough together to get you interviews at plenty of TX schools, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone asks you why you didn't mention URM status on your application. Don't think of URM status as a way to have the bar lowered for you - it's a way for the medical education system to find individuals that can connect better with URM patients.

The adcom I asked at UT-Houston said that they look at the highest MCAT score, but that was a couple of years ago and I believe they've been trying to restructure their admissions process since then (I did some research there and my PI would complain about the changes every so often...).

Your stats+ECs look good enough together to get you interviews at plenty of TX schools, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone asks you why you didn't mention URM status on your application. Don't think of URM status as a way to have the bar lowered for you - it's a way for the medical education system to find individuals that can connect better with URM patients.

That's good to hear about UT-Houston. I am more interested int he policies of the Texas schools because that is where I am mostly focused (cheap tuition is amazing).

Do you know where I could find this info out? Do schools post this on their website?

First, I really appreciate your advice! You are far and away one of the most informed and helpful posters on SDN and it's great that you take so much time out of your busy day to help lowly premeds, haha.

In regards to ethnicity, I think people fail to realize how affirmative action actually effects minorities.

I really wish schools wouldn't use it. I understand that they want to diversify their student bodies, but at the end of the day, they just sow doubt amongst the medical community (and amongst URMs themselves) about their abilities.

How would you feel if an adcom essentially told you that people who look like you are not smart enough to get into medical school, so we are going to lower the bar for you? History matters in explaining the current situation, but at the end of the day, this is the take away message that affirmative action sends.

So not including my ethnicity may mean I don't get into Stanford or whatever. But I'd rather end up at Texas A&M and know I earned it through hard work than go to Harvard and constantly doubt myself.

I think adcoms and other non-URMs fail to see how much affirmative action actually hurts minorities themselves.

Respect. Also amazing ECs!

Last edited:

Agree TREMENDOUSLY. Exactly what I said to OP as well. The bottom line is you leaving your race off of your app isn't going to change what people think of affirmative action or race. Maybe you'll get into Texas A&M instead of Harvard, but some people may think "he's only here because of his race" regardless of where you end up, even low tier schools. Ignorant people will exist at any school, from low tier to high tier. Using every advantage you can get is a big part of this application game. I respect what you want to do, and if all that matters is what you yourself knows you accomplished, then more power to you and good luck! :thumbup:

For the love of God, include your race!

Doubting yourself is a byproduct of low self-esteem. Why the h*** would you walk around doubting yourself at Harvard? Even URM's at Harvard probably have better stats than ORMs at low-mid tiers. Being URM doesn't mean a school will accept you despite mediocre stats; you still have to have stellar stats to get in.

Do not let that idea of "doubting" yourself make you miss this opportunity. And honestly, if you had known you could have gone to Harvard (after you apply) if you included your race, would you still be content at A&M (honestly)? And prestige and school name will play a role in where you land a residency so...

Summary: It doesn't matter HOW you got there; it only matters that you're there

That's good to hear about UT-Houston. I am more interested int he policies of the Texas schools because that is where I am mostly focused (cheap tuition is amazing).

Do you know where I could find this info out? Do schools post this on their website?

I asked in-person at a health advising fair at my school, but in my experience adcoms in the UT system are pretty receptive to student inquiries (in particular, all the UTSW adcoms are super super nice).

I asked in-person at a health advising fair at my school, but in my experience adcoms in the UT system are pretty receptive to student inquiries (in particular, all the UTSW adcoms are super super nice).

Thanks for letting me know! I will be sure to email them and ask.

It is more about my GPA. A 3.6 and a 3.4 are below the 10% for almost every school.
3.6 from Ivy League + 35 on the MCAT and you think that your saving grace will be EC? Keep it real. If you didn't have that 35, it wouldn't matter what EC you had.

3.6 from Ivy League + 35 on the MCAT and you think that your saving grace will be EC? Keep it real. If you didn't have that 35, it wouldn't matter what EC you had.

I know. So glad I got lucky on that test :D

But with the mcat, hopefully the ECs may help offset my gpa a little bit.

I had a little lower GPA than you and the admissions cycle turned out fine for me. You have a decent set of interesting worthwhile experiences, so I'd stick to that. Apply broadly, and apply on time. Make sure you listen to LizzyM's advice. I'mnot sure if you think it's like a crutch that you don't want to use, but do keep in mind, that when applying to medical school, everything is a crapshoot. Heck, there are schools that you know that it is 100% the right fit for you, and then just out of happenstance that your interview is one of the few faculty that just doesn't give with you. And then you get rejected. When this happens, of course it's not fair and it sucks, but heck, that's part of the process of med school. When I applied for my state school, my application was SCREAMING their name and everything I did was in parallel with their mission, etc etc. And that one adcom...we just didn't mesh. THINGS LIKE THIS DO HAPPEN. If it's legal and not sketch, I'd take whatever you have and RUN WITH IT. Do realize that everyone is doing whatever they can to get in-some are a litlte more "aggressive" than others.

Many schools consider the MCAT score the MOST important admissions factor, more important than GPA in fact.

This. I live in Houston a bikes ride away from Baylor, and I've been told that the most important factor to them is the MCAT. This is what someone told me the dean said to them.

This. I live in Houston a bikes ride away from Baylor, and I've been told that the most important factor to them is the MCAT. This is what someone told me the dean said to them.

But they also have a 3.8 GPA average, so it seems like they care about grades alot too.

Either way, I can't change my numbers. The only thing I can do now is write my essays and apply :scared:

You sound like you have it thought through, though many older/wiser members in the forum are suggesting you to do otherwise.

Listen to them, list your ethnicity, use all the pluses you have, write a bomb PS, apply early, everywhere in TX and elsewhere, (after getting interviews, ACE them). As someone mentioned, the process is a crapshoot. I'm from california, applied to 2 schools (due to MCAT's age), only got 1 interview and waitlisted. But I interviewed elsewhere and even got 2 acceptances.

Do ALL that you can to give yourself that edge to get in.

you sound like you have it thought through, though many older/wiser members in the forum are suggesting you to do otherwise.

Listen to them, list your ethnicity, use all the pluses you have, write a bomb ps, apply early, everywhere in tx and elsewhere, (after getting interviews, ace them). As someone mentioned, the process is a crapshoot. I'm from california, applied to 2 schools (due to mcat's age), only got 1 interview and waitlisted. But i interviewed elsewhere and even got 2 acceptances.

Do all that you can to give yourself that edge to get in.

+10.

But they also have a 3.8 GPA average, so it seems like they care about grades alot too.

Either way, I can't change my numbers. The only thing I can do now is write my essays and apply :scared:
I wonder how many applicants have a high MCAT score and a low GPA. It seems to me that in the hunt for a high MCAT score, even if GPA was completely ignored, you would end up with a high average GPA just by chance since applicants with a high MCAT score probably have a high GPA on average.