About the ads

Can Eyelashes Turn Under??!

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by INeedAdvice, Jun 22, 2004.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. INeedAdvice

INeedAdvice Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I know of an elderly patient with dementia that has had ongoing eye problems for almost 2 years (before that, her eyes had always been normal & fine except for having cataract surgery about 10 years ago).

She only sees a GP, but nothing other than 3 prescriptions (about 10 days/prescription) of eyedrops with antibiotics were given to her over the 2 years ...& now that those have run out, the GP won't give anymore. Therefore, her only "treatment" has been over-the-counter Natural Tears eyedrops twice daily.

I noticed that her bottom eyelashes actually turn IN (not out) against her eyeball because her elderly skin is so soft & wrinkley that her bottom eyelid is folding under.

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS PHENOMENA?

I've also noticed that she gets this yellowish mucous in her eyes on a daily basis (so much of it that they are closed shut a lot of times)...so I'm guessing there's a bacterial infection going on ? Or would a constant irritation of eyelashes against the white of her eyes cause a yellow mucous? (I would've thought that a chronic irritation would cause a clear mucous ...therefore the yellow mucous could be bacterial??)

Thanks for any input.
  2. Redhawk

Redhawk Fellow

SDN 7+ Year Member
  3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
  4. INeedAdvice

INeedAdvice Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member