About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Eyelashes Turn Under??!

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by INeedAdvice, Jun 22, 2004.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. INeedAdvice

INeedAdvice Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I know of an elderly patient with dementia that has had ongoing eye problems for almost 2 years (before that, her eyes had always been normal & fine except for having cataract surgery about 10 years ago).

She only sees a GP, but nothing other than 3 prescriptions (about 10 days/prescription) of eyedrops with antibiotics were given to her over the 2 years ...& now that those have run out, the GP won't give anymore. Therefore, her only "treatment" has been over-the-counter Natural Tears eyedrops twice daily.

I noticed that her bottom eyelashes actually turn IN (not out) against her eyeball because her elderly skin is so soft & wrinkley that her bottom eyelid is folding under.

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS PHENOMENA?

I've also noticed that she gets this yellowish mucous in her eyes on a daily basis (so much of it that they are closed shut a lot of times)...so I'm guessing there's a bacterial infection going on ? Or would a constant irritation of eyelashes against the white of her eyes cause a yellow mucous? (I would've thought that a chronic irritation would cause a clear mucous ...therefore the yellow mucous could be bacterial??)

Thanks for any input.
  2. Redhawk

Redhawk Fellow

SDN 7+ Year Member
  3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
  4. INeedAdvice

INeedAdvice Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member