can foreign grad gain admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
> I RECENTLY WROTE A PREMED REPRESENTATIVE
> AND SHE TOLD ME THAT ONLY ABOUT 0.8 PERCENT OF FOREIGN STUDENTS GET INTO
> AMERICAN MEDICAL SCHOOLS. IF YOU ARE A NON US RESIDENT/NATIONAL , HOW
> DID YOU GET IN? DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR HOW
> A NON RESIDENT
> INTERNATIONAL PREMED (WHO DID HER PREMED IN AN
> ACCREDITED US UNIVERSITY
> )CAN ENHANCE HER CHANCES OF GETTING INTO MEDICAL
> SCHOOLS IN THE US AND
> CANADA. DOES IT HELP IF YOU DOUBLE MAJOR? ANY
> ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED . WOULD YOU MIND
> FORWARDING THIS TO YOUR
> FRIENDS WHO WERE/ARE FOREIGN MEDICAL STUDENTS SO
> THEY CAN GIVE ME SOME
> ADVICE TOO?
> THANK YOU,
> WORRIED

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry not to have more encouraging news but it is almost impossible for non-US citizens to gain admission into a US med school.
The few that do, have major connections and/or money. Additionally, if you do
happen to gain acceptance, you must show that you have the financial resources to
cover all tuition and expenses up front, as you will not be eligible for any financial
aid. Even for permanent residents it is very hard and they usually need much higher numbers than their US citizen counterparts. This is an unspoken policy, of course, as it is against the law to discriminate against
permanent residents...
Although it may seem unfair, given the huge number of applicants for med
school in this country, compared to the relatively few seats, it makes sense
that citizens, who have less of an opportunity to study medicine
elsewhere, be given priority for admission.

My suggestion is that you apply, nevertheless, to the few schools that
have accepted foreign students in the past, as long as you have the numbers
and the financial resources to do so. Although the odds are heavily stacked
against you, who knows, you may be one of the lucky few!!! In the meantime,
try to focus on an alternative career path, for the time being, in some field related to medicine such as research. You do not have to
be a US citizen to gain scholarships for grad school, as you may know. If you were to
become a citizen one day and were still interested in going to med school, you
would have an edge over other applicants.

MSII

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I miss 1999.

Reactions: 5 users
that formatting
Dude, you just bumped a post that's been dead since the 90s. Frasier was still on the air. Who Wants to be a Millionaire was the most popular show on TV. Half the kids applying to med school right now weren't even in middle school. I don't know whether to be horrified or impressed, this is probably the worst necromancy I've ever seen.

Reactions: 11 users
Wow, this post was in 1999 before @Winged Scapula was even on SDN! On another note, what a much better time 1999 was for the country as a whole, in so many respects, including but not limited to economically.

I wonder how Jim Henderson is doing now.

Reactions: 1 user
There were so many good TV shows in the 90's I can't even keep track of them all in my mind.

Good times...

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't even start elementary school at the time :D

Did OP make a panic thread and then reply to himself in a more reassuring tone?

Reactions: 2 users
Did OP make a panic thread and then reply to himself in a more reassuring tone?

LOL, it's probably one of those "Dear Abby" things - SDN style.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, you just bumped a post that's been dead since the 90s. Frasier was still on the air. Who Wants to be a Millionaire was the most popular show on TV. Half the kids applying to med school right now weren't even in middle school. I don't know whether to be horrified or impressed, this is probably the worst necromancy I've ever seen.

I am now considered a non trad as I graduated from undergrad last year, when that post was made I was just starting the 3rd grade xD

Reactions: 1 users
This is amazing

If you wanted to see the old format (dat UBB):

http://web.archive.org/web/19991127212047/http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?

And in case you were wondering:
SDHY5Zz.png

DO vs MD was alive and well ~14 years ago.

Reactions: 5 users
One of the precursors to SDN was medicalstudents.net (began 1997) which was just a big guidebook for pre-meds, made by a medical student called Jim Henderson. People would email him questions and he would reply with his advice and post it on his website. (This was before internet forums were commonplace - when websites were very simple).

When SDN was born (1999) , they posted some of Henderson's questions and answers as some of the first "posts" to help start discussions/user traffic. Hence the strange formatting and why they include an email address to reply to.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, this post was in 1999 before @Winged Scapula was even on SDN! On another note, what a much better time 1999 was for the country as a whole, in so many respects, including but not limited to economically.

I wonder how Jim Henderson is doing now.
No, I was here from the beginning, just registered under a different name. I forgot my password so just started the new account in 2000. :p

Reactions: 3 users
But why would I want to spend a few minutes searching when I am asking about such an important and expensive part of my next 10-15 years? Surely SDN exists to help only me?

One of the precursors to SDN was medicalstudents.net (began 1997) which was just a big guidebook for pre-meds, made by a medical student called Jim Henderson. People would email him questions and he would reply with his advice and post it on his website. (This was before internet forums were commonplace - when websites were very simple).

When SDN was born (1999) , they posted some of Henderson's questions and answers as some of the first "posts" to help start discussions/user traffic. Hence the strange formatting and why they include an email address to reply to.
Yep, Jim was one of the founders of SDN. Unfortunately he became disillusioned with medicine and left. Here's the post announcing that: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/quitting-medicine-going-back-for-phd.147625/

Wow, my post sure looks dumb now. Thanks for the history lesson! :)

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile