Can I apply even though I haven't finished my pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiwi210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have all my pre-reqs done next spring. Even if I apply in the fall, I will have all the courses done by the time I attend vet school. Is that okay?

Members don't see this ad.

I will have all my pre-reqs done next spring. Even if I apply in the fall, I will have all the courses done by the time I attend vet school. Is that okay?
It all depends on the school. Some don't care how many pre-reqs you have to finish, as long as you finish them before you matriculate. Some, on the other hand, have a limited amount of pre-reqs you can take the year you apply. I had 3-4 pre-reqs that I completed the year before vet school, but I also made sure to see what each school needed before I applied to them. Most of the information is on their websites, so check them out, and then contact the school you are going to apply to if you are still unsure.

Last edited:
To a certain extent, yes. Each school has its own rules about this and generally set a limit on how many credits can be 'in progress' or 'TBD' when you apply. It's probably best to ask each school you are applying to directly about whether your proposed course schedule for the next year is okay and when the courses have to be completed by for admission consideration.