Can I be a surgeon?

TeamRocketGrunt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was wondering if you could help me out with a question of mine (as seen in the title of the thread, obviously). A bit of background - I'm currently a high school student, and I want to become a physician, specifically a surgeon. However, there's a problem with my plan - I have strabismus in my left eye. I've had two surgeries (one when I was four; a second last summer) to correct it, but I still rely heavily on my right eye for vision. I wear glasses and, with my glasses, I can see fairly well with my right eye; my left eye, while it is more aligned, is still fairly weak. My question is, even with this eye condition, would it be possible for me to become a surgeon? Or should I give up my dream and settle for an easier specialty? I want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon, specifically, but I'm open to pursuing other forms of surgery.

Also, should I try doing eye exercises to strengthen my left eye? My opthalmologist says it won't help, but I've read online that neuroplasticity has been shown in this regard in patients up to age 15 (turning 15 next month). I have an eye patch that I can wear.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not necessary to bump your own thread in the same day. If you're turning 15 next month, you have approximately 10 years before you'll be choosing specialties. Let's focus on graduating high school first.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not necessary to bump your own thread in the same day. If you're turning 15 next month, you have approximately 10 years before you'll be choosing specialties. Let's focus on graduating high school first.

My apologies. I didn't know the "bumping etiquette" here. I usually frequent College Confidential, so I'm more used to their bumping etiquette.

If you have strab bad enough that you can't use loupes or a microscope that eliminated almost all surgical specialties

Moving to hSDN.
Sorry, completely new here. Didn't know where to put it.

If you have strab bad enough that you can't use loupes or a microscope that eliminated almost all surgical specialties
I haven't had experience with loupes, but I've used microscopes. I can see fine with microscopes; I see the object I'm viewing with my right eye, primarily.

You need to have normal (or near normal) depth perception. If you have a lack of depth perception (ie. if you only had 1 eye), the short answer is: no, you can't be a surgeon.

Without depth perception, you could be putting your patients at risk. Also, you could get sued even if you plan on disclosing the lack of depth perception to all your patients. Sure, there are lots of procedures where you don't really need depth perception, and a lot of coping mechanisms, but the lawyers will have other ideas.

You need to have normal (or near normal) depth perception. If you have a lack of depth perception (ie. if you only had 1 eye), the short answer is: no, you can't be a surgeon.

Without depth perception, you could be putting your patients at risk. Also, you could get sued even if you plan on disclosing the lack of depth perception to all your patients. Sure, there are lots of procedures where you don't really need depth perception, and a lot of coping mechanisms, but the lawyers will have other ideas.

I have had strab since I was very young, so is it possible that I've adapted? As in, I've gotten used to seeing through my right eye primarily, so my depth perception is fairly normal? I was reading another thread about this, and to quote the guy:

"I don't think the above is true. I believe the more important question for the OP is if this condition is of late or early onset. Meaning, how long has he not had any vision in the afflicted eye? If he's had this condition for most of his life, he has most likely adapted to monoscopic vision and should be able to perform surgery. If this condition is late onset, then he may have issues with depth perception.

The only reason I can say this is because I lost sight in my left eye at the age of four. I am currently two months away from finishing my ortho residency. Ask any of my attendings if they think me being blind in one eye has made a difference. I assure you the evaluations of my surgical skills do not bear this out. In fact, when I told one of my attendings in the OR that I was half blind he said "I had no idea, it certainly doesn't seem to affect your ability to operate." I have been able to do spine surgery ( both with the microscope and loupes), hand surgery, etc with no problems.

So, in short OP, the mere fact that you're blind in one eye doesn't automatically disqualify you from doing ortho. However, you (and your attendings/mentors) need to figure out if in your particular case this is an impediment to being a safe, proficient surgeon."

(Quoted thread can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/can-i-be-orthopedic-surgeon-with-this-vision.906271/ )

Sorry, completely new here. Didn't know where to put it.

No worries.

Like most questions asking, "I have <insert problem>, can I be a surgeon?", the answer is "maybe".

Depth perception is an important attribute, especially in the abdomen and when operating around large named vessels and nerves. As with most things, there can be "work arounds" which will allow you to be successful.

I would imagine the simplest answer at this point would be to see your ophthalmologist and have him/her check your depth perception and when you get to medical school, see what you enjoy, what you're skilled at and what your vision allows and does not allow you to do. You may need a cheerleader who will take a chance on you, where others have doubts, but any answer is really premature at this point.

We've seen deaf surgeons, one armed surgeons, even a paraplegic resident surgeon (here on SDN), with the exception of legal blindness I'm unwilling to count most things as insurmountable.

Reactions: 1 user
The bottom line is that few to no surgical residencies test for binocular vision. So can you get that far? Yes. Will you be successful? Maybe based on the above explanations.

No worries.

Like most questions asking, "I have <insert problem>, can I be a surgeon?", the answer is "maybe".

Depth perception is an important attribute, especially in the abdomen and when operating around large named vessels and nerves. As with most things, there can be "work arounds" which will allow you to be successful.

I would imagine the simplest answer at this point would be to see your ophthalmologist and have him/her check your depth perception and when you get to medical school, see what you enjoy, what you're skilled at and what your vision allows and does not allow you to do. You may need a cheerleader who will take a chance on you, where others have doubts, but any answer is really premature at this point.

We've seen deaf surgeons, one armed surgeons, even a paraplegic resident surgeon (here on SDN), with the exception of legal blindness I'm unwilling to count most things as insurmountable.

Thank you for your insight. In April, I'm going to schedule an appointment with a vision therapist and have an evaluation done to gauge my depth perception and whatnot; if I qualify for vision therapy (which I've heard has shown success for people with strabismus in increasing their depth perception and whatnot), I'm going to give it a go. Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
I do agree nobody can tell you for sure b/c we don't know how good your depth perception is, etc. (and I think it's a good idea to get that checked if you're worried about it).

However, I have the same thing and I haven't had any issues because of it. I didn't have any problem with anatomy dissections, and I can use a microscope fine (I only use my good eye because otherwise I get double-vision, but I'm able to see everything with it and none of my professors had an issue with that). I mainly use my bad eye for peripheral vision and always have. I can drive, mainly use my good eye for driving. I don't want to be a surgeon, but I don't think I'd personally have any problems caused by my vision.