Can I be an RA in two different labs at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDWannabe

WombStewWithCrustyBread
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
a little undergrad question here. Can i be an RA at two different labs in the same building in the same department (PSYCH) with supervisors who most likely know each other?
Is it frowned upon or is it a completely normal thing to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, lots of people do that. My understanding is that it's a bit of a culture thing; at some unis it's totally normal, at others it might be seen as strange.

I'd just make sure they're aware of it so that no one gets surprised later.

Also, if you're being paid from both, it could raise issues with your fte.

Like others said, it depends on the school. I, for example, am an RA in four labs at the same time. Since I am at a large school, I don't know how much professors talk to each other but I have never encountered any problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did it, but I asked the professor I was already working with if it was okay.

im sure its fine..ill be doing that next Fall, working in one lab for my honors thesis but I signed on to an additional one to get some experience which I am not currently getting and might not get in my current lab

I'm doing it now - I started working with one supervisor, and another supervisor recruited me to his lab, so I split my time (mornings with supervisor A, afternoons with supervisor B). My two supervisors' offices are literally right next to each other, ha.

I am going to do it as well. I wanted experience in something other than clinical, and I needed more advisors, and this was the best opportunity!

Thank you all so much. I have never been an RA before so i thought it would be a bit weird to my supervisors that i took on 2 at my first time. Also, i have no idea what the work load will be like (though i am certain i can handle it) so i was just curious. Speaking of which, what is the workload like?

In the beginning, it was a lot of "clerical" type work. There were a few projects going on that I helped out with here and there. After a while I got pretty close to a few of the grad students, so now I am helping them out with their individual masters projects. It really varies based on each lab (some labs just do surveys, so RA's do data entry all day, some do treatment sessions and need help, some work with children and need supervisors, so every lab will be different). Its a lot of fun and awesome to see how research gets done!