can I be vague in describing my work experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloroform2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In AMCAS, for the part regarding work history/experiences,

1 ) would it hurt me if I am vague in the work descriptions?

2) Is it optional to enter the workplace name, address, supervisor's name, and contact info?

3) Will med schools actually contact former employers?

I'm asking all this because I held various jobs and I never stayed long enough in one place. I can recall one job where I worked for less than two weeks total and didn't even bother to pick up my paycheck. Often in between jobs, I would sometimes take a 2-week thru 1 month vacation. I probably held 15 jobs in the past two years, and I don't want to list 15 workplaces. I never really made much contribution to my ex-employers and never stayed enough to make a decent paycheck out of any of them.

4) So is it acceptable to lump all 15 jobs into one "vaguely-described" position?

Members don't see this ad.

Why so flakey?

Because I applied to those positions more for the sake of experience. I wanted a "taste" of a job here and there with different people, mission, locale, responsibilities, etc. I wasn't serious about working, and never quite understood what it's like to work.

Would be grateful if anyone knowledgable can answer my original questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn't stay in a job long enough to get a paycheck, I wouldn't put it on your app. Having 15 different jobs that you stayed in for only a few weeks each makes you look like you're really uncommitted. And you shouldn't lump all 15 into one, that would be lying.

If you didn't stay in a job long enough to get a paycheck, I wouldn't put it on your app. Having 15 different jobs that you stayed in for only a few weeks each makes you look like you're really uncommitted. And you shouldn't lump all 15 into one, that would be lying.

even if many of the jobs were for less than < 1-2 months where I really didn't do anything? I don't even remember what the purposes of some of those jobs were for.

The AMCAS instructions booklet says to list significant experiences only.

even if many of the jobs were for less than < 1-2 months where I really didn't do anything? I don't even remember what the purposes of some of those jobs were for.

Especially if they were for less than a month. The only time it's ok to mention short jobs is if you were a contract employee for an event or something. I wouldn't mention anything under 3months (1 semester).

Especially if they were for less than a month. The only time it's ok to mention short jobs is if you were a contract employee for an event or something. I wouldn't mention anything under 3months (1 semester).

so don't list any work experience at all? Leave it blank even though I've been out of school for a few years?

And if I do list something for work history, is it absolutely required to enter in the workplace name, address, and employer's phone number?

so don't list any work experience at all? Leave it blank even though I've been out of school for a few years?

And if I do list something for work history, is it absolutely required to enter in the workplace name, address, and employer's phone number?

I tend to think that if you aren't comfortable putting down an employer's contact information, you probably shouldn't be listing the job. Especially if you have multiple jobs with no contact information. That might look a little sketchy, although I don't really know how much adcoms would care. It might be something you could explain in the "other" category. In any case, if your employment history comes up in an interview or elsewhere, you would want to make absolutely certain that an adcom would know that you aren't going to treat med school like you treated previous employment (i.e. stay for a few months and leave).

So you want to tell medical schools that you don't take jobs seriously, that you've left multiple employers in the lurch and are easily bored? Sounds like you've taken advantage of a lot of people. You didn't stay in any place long enough to "taste" anything! Not something you want to put on a medical school application, even if it is all you've done over the last couple of years, which I hope it isn't!

Leave those jobs off your app and just focus on your ecs....

Did you manage to commit to any of those?

How is working at a place for two weeks give you experience in whatever area it is?

Like others have said, if you are not comfortable giving contact information, then you shouldn't list them on your application. I also would not list them because that just will not look good on your application. If you can't commit to a job, how are you going to commit to 4 years of medical school, which is much harder than any job?