Can I do Clinical Rotation with doctors I know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cks1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I gave my Step 1 1 month back and received the score. But my questions is that can I do rotations with Doctors who I know?

I know a Pediatrician, Internal Medicine, Neuro surgeon, and my cousin Psychiatrist. My pediatrician said to me he'll be glad to help me.

I want to rotate with them because then they can write a recommended letter for me for residency later on.

Members don't see this ad.

All evals at my school have a conflict of interest statement at the end. This conflict of interest includes relationships such as family, significant other, family friend, and physician-patient. Does yours?

All evals at my school have a conflict of interest statement at the end. This conflict of interest includes relationships such as family, significant other, family friend, and physician-patient. Does yours?
Sorry, What do you mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, What do you mean?
I'm unsure how the other users should have been clearer.

When you get a letter from someone that you have either a personal or professional relationship with there is concern that perhaps they would not be honest about any faults you may have. The letter writer will state in what capacity they know you and that may cast some doubt on the veracity of what they've written.

More importantly, if your goal is to train in the United States, some state licensing boards will not accept rotations done without academic affiliation. I had a classmate who rotated with a friend of his fathers in Louisiana and when he went to apply for a Louisiana license, the rotation was not counted toward the required clinical hours. Please make sure you have enough clinical rotation hours if you choose to do a private rotation like this.

Reactions: 1 user
This is unethical and any letters you obtain would be worthless.