Can I do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWorkNeverDone

Carters Mistress
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not the greatest in math and I saw a similar forum and I was wondering if you guys could help me out as well.

I transferred to Davis with a 3.0, and my first quarter here I got a 3.39, only raising my acc. by 3.04, it was: B, B+, B+, A. One of the B+ will be changing to a A-, but everything else will be the same. I am wondering, with 5 quarters to go, is it possible to get 3.5 gpa? I have great extras, and leadership, my major is based on research i have to do, everything is set up right...but DAMN DAMN CHEM errrr gave me some prbs with my GPA and dropped it to 2.7. and I have had to build up from there. Please be gentle :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you could pull 3.5, but you will probably need 4.0 for the rest of the quarters. You could also do a post-bac to raise your GPA after you graduate if you need it. Also do well on your MCAT, and I still think you have hope. I would also suggest looking into osteopathic schools as well.

It depends on how many credits you've taken so far and how many you have to take. Then you take a weighted average based on your school's grading scale to get your GPA. Easiest way to do it is to use Excel so you can see how many credits worth of As you need to take to raise your GPA to 3.X.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was looking at the mdapplicants.com website and i noticed that there were a lot of students with lower than 3.6 gpas and around 27-31 MCAT scores getting into medical school.

A lot of them were going to good but not 1st tier schools with low gpas like 3.2 3.3 or 3.4 but with mcats around 27-31 and they were getting in.

and they weren't post-bacc.

With five quarters left, it is possible to pull off a 3.5, but you will have to take quite a few more units than you did during your first two years of school, and you will have to get a 4.0 until you graduate. It's possible, but it won't be easy. Good luck!

thanks guys! I am taking 15 units this quarter, and then 16 and then it goes up from there since I will be taking a whole bunch of NPB classes for metabolism classes. Heres hoping for the best :thumbup:

Here's an equation:

desired gpa = [(# units taken x current gpa) + (#units will take x received grades)] / (# units taken + #units will take)

i.e. 3.5 = (30 x 3.04) + ( Y x 4.0) / (30 + Y)

Solve for Y:

Y = 27.6 units of A's to pull it up to a 3.5

So, mainly it depends on how many units you have taken already. If you've already finished 60-70 units it might take a while to improve. If that is the case, point out the 'improving trend' somewhere on your application (so that they will at least get you a secondary).

If that equation is true to all its worth :) its very doable :) Since I am taking 15 units this quarter, 16 next and around 15 for the three quarter following. Thank you very much!

biendesalud said:
Here's an equation:

desired gpa = [(# units taken x current gpa) + (#units will take x received grades)] / (# units taken + #units will take)

i.e. 3.5 = (30 x 3.04) + ( Y x 4.0) / (30 + Y)

Solve for Y:

Y = 27.6 units of A's to pull it up to a 3.5

So, mainly it depends on how many units you have taken already. If you've already finished 60-70 units it might take a while to improve. If that is the case, point out the 'improving trend' somewhere on your application (so that they will at least get you a secondary).