Can I get a science rec from this professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookyjar

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am considering a 2 credit class that is considered a science elective for my biology major. It's a class that basically reads a lot of books and articles about science and incorporate history and politics. It counts as the bcpm course because of its prefix.

This is the description of the class

Theory and Practice in the Biological Sciences

Presents the scientific method, in its many formulations, from historical, philosophical and sociological perspectives. Explores generation and presentation of data, formulation of hypotheses and theories and dissemination of results. Also examines the ethical implication of biological research.

If I got a rec from her, do you think it would count as a science teacher recommendation letter? I noticed that the prof is more of a history teacher. She is not like one of those typical science teachers who work in research labs and publish science research articles.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Did this professor actually teach you science though? I think this is kind of a gray area if it's counting towards your science gpa, but honestly I would try to get a different letter just to be safe.

So I am considering a 2 credit class that is considered a science elective for my biology major. It's a class that basically reads a lot of books and articles about science and incorporate history and politics. It counts as the bcpm course because of its prefix.

This is the description of the class

Theory and Practice in the Biological Sciences

Presents the scientific method, in its many formulations, from historical, philosophical and sociological perspectives. Explores generation and presentation of data, formulation of hypotheses and theories and dissemination of results. Also examines the ethical implication of biological research.

If I got a rec from her, do you think it would count as a science teacher recommendation letter? I noticed that the prof is more of a history teacher. She is not like one of those typical science teachers who work in research labs and publish science research articles.

Thank you!

That sounds like a History of Science type course, so technically it shouldn't be considered BCPM. You're better off looking for a professor in core sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to steal the thread, but do math teacher LOR's = science LOR's?

I want to say yes, but people always say math AND science, like there is some sort of distinction to be made between math and science.

I want to say yes, but people always say math AND science, like there is some sort of distinction to be made between math and science.

Depends on the school. But, for the most part, yes.

Science = BCPM, which includes math, so yes. Math LORs = science LORs.

There are some schools that don't count Math as a science LOR, but they are the minority.

That sounds like a History of Science type course, so technically it shouldn't be considered BCPM. You're better off looking for a professor in core sciences.

So the teacher must teach you science? even though this class has the course prefix for the BCPM?

So the teacher must teach you science? even though this class has the course prefix for the BCPM?

Course pre-fixes are meaningless.
At my university there is a class through the biology department called "BioXX#####: Animal Behavior"; It is largely a course in, you guessed it - behavior, social animal patterns, psychology, etc. This is not biology. It would be up to the discretion of AMCAS processing whether or not they would allow you to list it as BCMP. Courses that are inaccurately marked as BCMP on AMCAS get re-defined by someone at the office in Washington, D.C., but it will delay the processing of your application - too many mistakes like this lead to a returned application.

The course description overrides the prefix. It says you'll learn the development of scientific method in history, sociological etc. perspective. That's clearly a humanities course (which is still great and I support taking it) misclassified as BCPM.

You can still get the LOR from this prof, but to be on a safe side, it's better to get an LOR from an actual science prof.