Can I get an internship with a misdemeanor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myself111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a misdemeanor in stalking that occurred two years ago. By the time I apply for internships it will probably be five years since the incident. Can I still get an internship as a school psychologist if I explain the circumstances surrounding my misdemeanor?

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible, but I'm sure that it will be something that you have to explain on applications and/or that will come up on background checks. It's definitely a red flag on the application though. So, it will make it significantly harder most likely.

Pretty much every TD would want a thorough explanation of that. I would be prepared to start talking about it, as "stalking" and working with children will obviously want to be thoroughly investigated by any employer...rightfully so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno...If you are going through APPIC for internship applications, I would wait until it is expunged before applying. Could you complete your dissertation first (if you haven't already)? It is my sense of the internship process (having just been through it) that any red flags hinder interview offers, just b/c the sheer number of applicants. You could always try your luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Regardless, good luck! I'm sure it will be nice when the past remains in the past, and you can look towards the future.

If you can get it expunged, do so.

If not, when you address it in your applications, I would suggest that you stick to a basic explanation and an assurance that you learned from the experience and have taken steps to ensure that it won't ever happen again. Avoid any statement that could be perceived as making excuses or avoiding responsibility for what happened. Having reviewed internship applications myself, I would guess that the misdemeanor may raise some concerns, but you can at least avoid worsening the situation if you're careful not to blame shift.

Its generally easy to get this expunged, so do it.

It probably depends on the state and what the specific charge was. Most places have a list of crimes that they will always consider "red flags" such as sex crimes, crimes against children, and crimes against the elderly. These are, usually, felonies. Some states only consider misdemeanor crimes for 7 years.. It really depends. I would talk to a lawyer to see exactly what you have to answer in the application etc. I would also get proof of any steps you took to correct the situation.

Unfortunately your conviction is recent enough that it will almost certainly come up. It will almost certainly be a barrier, but it doesn't sound like it is insurmountable if you have changed and can show it (the last part being just a guess). Good luck.